Author Topic: Valve to release Steam for Linux  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Valve to release Steam for Linux
I'm like 2 months late on this, but:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement&num=1

and the source engine has been ported, purportedly Portal 2 will be the first game that will be simulaunched on Linux.

/*is excited :1337:*/
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Re: Valve to release Steam for Linux
As a non-linux user, I'm curious: how many people have linux and only linux?
Because it's not, as far as I can tell, not packaged with computers the average person buys, but, I presume, used by more tech-savvy individuals (such as the average forum-goer here) would have linux in addition to windows/ OS:X, I figure especially so if they like to play recent-ish games.

I'd be more happy go lucky about this if steam hadn't turned to utter **** with the mac port and other major updates at the end of april (bloody thing wouldn't update to that new ****, now have noticeably lower FPS in CS:S when I tried showing it to a friend on midrange-for-laptop-range-laptop, even after doing some optimizing configs (and his laptop was better than mine, which was running it alright awhile back))

2 Months late, and not another whisper of it.  I'd say curious, but it really isn't - just wishful thinking on behalf of the Linux hardliners.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
linux usage is about the same as mac usage
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

But "Linux" is at best a vaguely defined over category of several distros without much in the way of top down control.  OSX is very tightly controlled to the point of limited hardware.

Taking money means you have to actually support what you sell.  I have serious doubts that supporting OSX would require anywhere near the effort of supporting Linux. 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
But "Linux" is at best a vaguely defined over category of several distros without much in the way of top down control.  OSX is very tightly controlled to the point of limited hardware.

Taking money means you have to actually support what you sell.  I have serious doubts that supporting OSX would require anywhere near the effort of supporting Linux. 

If your argument is that Steam isn't coming to Linux, evidence?

The project will run on Valve Time, guaranteed, but that's no evidence it's been cancelled.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, they've said it's happening, and i wouldn't expect to hear much more until August/September.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

The project will run on Valve Time, guaranteed, but that's no evidence it's been cancelled.

I have yet to see anything direct from Valve that it was started to begin with.  So far all I've seen is one off hand remark in a business journal - always known for getting all gaming facts right, for sure - and a bunch of linux sites echoing it.

Is there somewhere, you know, reliable, that's said this is happening?  Like Valve.com?

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
There was no "official" announcement from Valve, and all of the articles other than Phoronix that claim Valve confirmed it, are referring to Phoronix. There is nothing other than Phoronix's claims.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I have yet to see anything direct from Valve that it was started to begin with.  So far all I've seen is one off hand remark in a business journal - always known for getting all gaming facts right, for sure - and a bunch of linux sites echoing it.

Is there somewhere, you know, reliable, that's said this is happening?  Like Valve.com?

If Valve never officially announced it then that's a different matter, yes.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
on a related note valve have already done a port of steam to mac which if i remember right uses a unix based os
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken