Author Topic: Some Joystick Axes don't work  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Zapp

Some Joystick Axes don't work
Hi!

I am using a "Sony Playstation3 DualShock" Controller with the "MotionInJoy" driver to play.

This GamePad has motion-sensors, which are mapped as additional analog axes.
I can bind these axes to a function in the options menu.

So I click a function, click bind, tilt my GamePad and the axes are recognized as rX and rY.

So far so good, but when I start a mission, my ship doesn't move :(
All GamePad-inputs are still doing their job, but rX and rY do nothing.

Does anyone have an idea how I can make them work?

Thanks,

Zapp

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Some Joystick Axes don't work
I use a USB- Playstation 2 adapter, but i'm not sure whether those drivers would help you?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
isn't FSO currently limited to 4 axis at the moment?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
isn't FSO currently limited to 4 axis at the moment?
This.

Offline Zapp

I use a USB- Playstation 2 adapter, but i'm not sure whether those drivers would help you?

Do you use it in Freespace? You have my respect if you do :)
I really tried to hit something with those little joysticks, but even on easy it takes me years to actually kill someone.
Maybe I am just not talented, or I am too used to the motion-sensing... however, playing Freespace with my thumbs is no fun :)

Back in the days I had a "real" Joystick, but since gameports became obsolete I threw it away ;)

Quote from: headdie
FSO [is] currently limited to 4 axis at the moment
Bollocks.
I will have to play with my mouse then, which generally would be no problem, but if you played X3 before it feels kinda dull.

Thanks for the answers, guys.
Nevertheless, it's a great game, and I am happy to have found this project :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
There is some hope that, at some point, one of our benevolent coders will have the right know-how and enough free time to overhaul the input system.  I do know that there are long-standing plans to rewrite the pilot code, which I seem to remember (perhaps incorrectly) being a requirement for input tweaks.

Offline Zapp

Do you mean they're also planning to implement a moving crosshair like they have in X³?
This would be by far my favorite way to steer a spaceship.

There seem to be a lot of new campaigns to play, so maybe I will still be on it by the time one of the mighty developers finishes this new code.
If not, it will definitely be a reason to dig the game out again and  try to finally beat it on very hard :)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Do you mean they're also planning to implement a moving crosshair like they have in X³?

There seem to be a lot of new campaigns to play, so maybe I will still be on it by the time one of the mighty developers finishes this new code.
If not, it will definitely be a reason to dig the game out again and  try to finally beat it on very hard :)

Uh... Making campaigns doesn't involve programming. In fact, I reckon most of the campaigns around are made by people who haven't got a clue how to program.

They're unrelated skills, and for the most part, the people who make campaigns aren't the same people who do the programming. Oh, and 3d modeling, that's also an unrelated skill.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

If not, it will definitely be a reason to dig the game out again and  try to finally beat it on very hard :)

Uh... Making campaigns doesn't involve programming. In fact, I reckon most of the campaigns around are made by people who haven't got a clue how to program.

They're unrelated skills, and for the most part, the people who make campaigns aren't the same people who do the programming. Oh, and 3d modeling, that's also an unrelated skill.

He knows that, you nincompoop. He's saying that maybe he can pass the time until such a feature is coded by playing campaigns.

Offline Zapp

He knows that, you nincompoop. He's saying that maybe he can pass the time until such a feature is coded by playing campaigns.

"nincompoop" :lol:
Never heard that one before.
Let's not be too harsh though. Maybe what I was trying to say got lost somewhere in my §#%$& English.

But you're right. Although I don't know how active this project is, I am aware that it might take years from one update to another and if you're not actually playing the game, you might easily miss out completely on new features. So it's a good thing all these new campaigns keep you from uninstalling and forgetting about the game... as long as they're good, of course.

I'm not too sure how long it will take me to burst through all these campaigns, though, considering the fact how Blue Planed got me hooked.

(By the way... did I already thank you for that? ;))

But let's not get too carried away here;

More Joystick axes and/or advanced mouse-movement: implement that as soon as possible!
I am waiting ;)

YAY!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
More Joystick axes and/or advanced mouse-movement: implement that as soon as possible!
I am waiting ;)

YAY!

Here's a bit of friendly advice. Most coders working on the SCP are rather busy with their own projects. Demanding a feature to be implemented that is only of marginal interest to most people (and make no mistake, using bold text and saying "implement as soon as possible!" IS demanding something) is NOT the best way to go about it. In most cases, demands like these will be ignored.

Also, you can change the mouse behaviour using scripting, if you really want. Read this thread for further info: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=44634.0
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zapp

(and make no mistake, using bold text and saying "implement as soon as possible!" IS demanding something)

And I tried so hard to mark my bold comment ironic (yes, its boldness is part of the irony).
Didn't mean to offend someone.

Thanks for the Link!
This might be exactly what I was looking for; sadly I cant get it to work yet.