Author Topic: X3 Terran Conflict  (Read 8125 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I started playing this game a few weeks ago, and holy **** it's hard/overwhelming, because the game is so vague. For instance, I'm told to join a battlegroup. The battlegroup jumps out, but I have no idea where to find a jumpdrive, or how to use it yet. Not really fair. Of course I work these things out as I go along, but damn does it take time.

An added bonus - Somehow, when installing the game, I did something, and as a result, there's no goofy European voice acting anymore. I knew that X3 Reunion had this, but I couldn't help but try X3 TC, so imagine my surprise when the automated response system only greeted me in text and not in German-sounding English!  :lol:

In the few precious moments when this game isn't stomping on my face, I find myself loving this game!

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
X3 is one of those games that "when I install, I don't feel like playing" but "when it needs to go, I don't feel like uninstalling".

Imho the standard game lacking a certain polish aside from all them bugs is compounded by the difficulty in modifying it. For all its shortcomings FS does much better in combat and flight (better beam/flak/missile weapon logic and proper afterburner boosts for instance).

Still fun for its own reasons though.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Regarding the vagueness, whilst the dialogue about what you have to do can be kind of vague on occasion, there normally is some kind of signal on the HUD about where you have to go or what object you have to interact with. Check the mission's objectives for more details.

X3 is for the most parts an economy simulator. In spite of that, it tries to do several things at once, hence why the whole package might not be as polished as desired.

Oh, the fact that the enemies are pushovers kinda saddens me. The Xenon seemed much more interesting in the first game. We've been spoiled with the Shivans in FreeSpace.  :sigh:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Uh....are you talking about the Reunion Xenon or the TC Xenon?  The damned TC Xenon have those shield eating, undodgable lasers that eat fighters alive.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Uh....are you talking about the Reunion Xenon or the TC Xenon?  The damned TC Xenon have those shield eating, undodgable lasers that eat fighters alive.

PBEs are merely annoying once you have an M6. And even in fighters you just have to make sure not to get into a direct exchange from the word go.

Also, Reunion PBEs are more powerful than TC PBEs. I assume you mean the Reunion Xenon, since every Terran fighter can eat Xenon fighters for breakfast.

And the Pirates are more dangerous than either Khaak or Xenon. So once street thugs start getting more worrisome than either of the main villains, you kinda get bored.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:50:52 am by Ghostavo »

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
And the Pirates are more dangerous than either Khaak or Xenon. So once street thugs start getting more worrisome than either of the main villains, you kinda get bored.
Only if they have Plasma Burst Generators, otherwise they're pushovers for even an M4.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I actually installed this a few days go, I intended on beating it but when my weapons stop working after my first jump, I gave up and let the hostiles kill me. I've been put off ever since.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Yeah i got this played it for an hour and lost interest, although when i am doing some machinanima i do like using the X engine for spaceshots and battles with the cheat script installed, as the graphics are still very beautiful today
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
X3 is for the most parts an economy simulator. In spite of that, it tries to do several things at once, hence why the whole package might not be as polished as desired.
Oh, the fact that the enemies are pushovers kinda saddens me. The Xenon seemed much more interesting in the first game. We've been spoiled with the Shivans in FreeSpace.  :sigh:

Oh, that's just wrong -- You did NOT just call X3 Eve Online!  :P
Actually you are kind of right. I'm finding myself scurrying around, trying to find a statinon that still has a specific weapon in stock, but of course, trade restrictiosn have been imposed in the few places that actually has them!  :mad:

The AI seems a bit torn - When defending stations, they seem to go right for the station, and ignore me when I line up behind them as they approach and pick them off. Sometimes they will break and completely tear me apart. Generally, they seem very, very hard! If one of the Xenon ships gets a bearing on me on me and I'm not in a faster ship, one can be all it takes if it blindsides me. If there's more than one going for me, I'll be dead within a few seconds.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The problem with X3 is that its manual is,in essence, the X2 manual with a few cut and pasted paragraphs to cover the X3 features.

X3 is sort of like Eve online without the annoying people, and an ability to save and go back to a previous point, which is good ;) The downside is that it is controlling thousands of ships in different systems all at once, firstly, as mentioned, the AI, at least outside of combat, is very simplistic (In fact, when you have fleets, whether you stay and watch a battle, or go to another system and let them fight it out WILL alter the outcome of that battle quite significantly), and secondly, this makes it a game that really was ahead of its time, my i7 loves it, my old Core 2 Duo was struggling after the Empire started getting big ;)

The hard part, I have always maintained, is starting the game, getting to a point where you have a financial backing capable of supporting some proper military incursions is a very long process, and many people get bored, it was designed to be sandbox, and the weakness of the campaign does highlight that to a degree, and is compounded by the huge error of the fact that
Spoiler:
they forgot to put gun objects on the final Xenon ship you face when they shipped the game, so the final battle is a joke
. I believe a fix may exist for that now, however.

Combat requires a LOT of jinking, you do practically spend half your combat time going sideways ,but I tend to wait until the local Police have engaged larger groups of Pirates and then join in.

Oh, and missiles are pretty useless in close combat, great for heavy ships, but once battle is entered, most missiles you shoot will be destroyed the second they leave the ship :(

That said, I enjoy X3, once you start building factories and owning small fleets, the game sort of changes from a simulator to an RTS in many ways, just wish there was better control options on the map screen for your ships.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:09:13 am by Flipside »

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
How exactly do you build structures? I was told to build some satellites once, and it just involved me ejecting them. Is it the same with giant installations, provided you have room for it?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
build up enough money, go to a ship yard, buy the kit(i think its a hub been a few years since i played it, you will need to hire a freighter if you don't have one big enough), take it to the system you want it, fly to the place you want it and deploy it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Deploy station can be tricky to find, if you are hiring, use the communications channel once you are both in the target system, if it is your own Mammoth or whatever, then it is from the Orders panel under 'special' :)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Guys I think I completed the game...  :confused:

I just got past the mission where you jump to Aldrin and back. I delivered the Aldrin guy to the Earth station, and I was greeted with a short "Congratulations" video. I guess the next step is just free-roaming, or playing the other storylines?

By the way, I have a major ****ing gripe with the way the campaign missions. When I jumped to Aldrin, I filled my ship with energy cells - In my case, after upgrading my cargo capacity, I could carry enough of them for one trip there and one trip back. Complicated, but that's kind of OK. What's not OK is finding out that I need to transport a passenger back and finding out I brought a ship that didn't have the cargo life-support module, and then going back for it, returning, and.... gahhhhh!  :mad:

On a more general mode - The campaign missions seem more like tutorial/introduction to the game. Anyone else get that vibe from it?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's just a congratulations for getting access to the Earth system, there's still a bit more to do in that campaign, and there's also the Khaak campaign if you haven't done that one yet ;)

And yes, mostly the campaign can be completed pretty quickly, long before you've built up any kind of Empire :)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Try to complete the Hub Campaign.

When you manage to complete it ten years from now, give us a call.  :P

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Ugh, yeah lots of hauling, I think I got one gate open and cheated the rest last time I did it...

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I think all I did was cheat-jump in there, switch on no-clip, see the visual breakage upon flying outside the hub, and then I self-destructed the docking bay... the big open empty space is actually solid :wtf:

Seeing the gates all marked as "X" didn't help things, being trapped in a box...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, that's part of the job, to get those broken gates working again ;)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
The only gates I wish that could be made working again are those "literally broken" ones scattered across the map leading to somewhere, but I guess that's what happens when you think too far outside the limitations of it being just a computer game. :p

The universe does feel really small when using the cheat scripts. :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares