Author Topic: Dragon Age 2 announced!  (Read 2561 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Dragon Age 2 announced!
Well the sequel to one of the best i have ever played has been announced with with some artwork and a wee bit of info.

Website http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2

EDIT Release date has been announced for March 2011

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

* Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
    * Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
    * Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
    * Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
    * Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

Seems that you play as a new hero in a different part of the world. I was hoping that you could play as the same character.

It is already available to preorder and seems the box art has been done so i am guessing they are pretty far along with making it. I like how it is supposed to span 10 years, i am hoping for a long game!

According to Chris prestly from Bioware you will only be able to play as a human. Which i think is a bit of a bugger, could be the main character is morrigans child
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:41:26 pm by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Dragon Age 2 announced!
* Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

:doubt:

Will have to play to believe.
el hombre vicio...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed.

Definitely looking forward to this one, though.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'm sure it will be excellent, that said I wouldn't mind an RPG where you start with the fame and the fortune and have that steadily torn down around you.  Seems like all the time you start as some nobody and build yourself up to be some uber hero.  I't be interesting if you started as Lord of a kingdom and have to rule as your realm is ruined by internal corruption and foreign invaders.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Like DAA?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline mxlm

Good to see they're carrying on the tradition of the PR making the game look terrible.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm sure it will be excellent, that said I wouldn't mind an RPG where you start with the fame and the fortune and have that steadily torn down around you.  Seems like all the time you start as some nobody and build yourself up to be some uber hero.  I't be interesting if you started as Lord of a kingdom and have to rule as your realm is ruined by internal corruption and foreign invaders.

If you give somebody the tools to fight high-level enemies in the beginning, someone's going to do it successfully. Or you're busting up the point of gaming by making them unbeatable or not mattering if you beat them.

No-win situations don't do it for the majority of the gaming public. Building up allows narrative tension without blatant copouts.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

If you give somebody the tools to fight high-level enemies in the beginning, someone's going to do it successfully. Or you're busting up the point of gaming by making them unbeatable or not mattering if you beat them.

No-win situations don't do it for the majority of the gaming public. Building up allows narrative tension without blatant copouts.

Actually the Dwarf Noble origin for Dragon Age did almost exactly what StarSlayer's requesting, just in a very brief way.

Offline mxlm

Mass Effect 2 did more or less the same thing as well. Just, y'know...oddly. And rapidly.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
* Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
Wut.

An entire decade? A Blight spanning ten years?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
An entire decade? A Blight spanning ten years?

Most blights have been major wars requiring the participation of the armed forces of multiple nations, remember?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
... True. I guess most Blights need more than 2 Wardens and a bunch of spunky companions + 4 races to turn it around.

I wonder if Awakening's story will affect DA 2.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline mxlm

Who said anything about a blight?

And Storm, given that Awakening didn't create a final save, it's unlikely.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:48:28 pm by mxlm »

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
"Dynamic new combat mechanics"...

TAB X TO DODGE FIREBALL!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You will NOT be Morrigans child. Confirmed by the devs.

I don't know. I'll hold my judgement, but I'm not sure I like this development that much. It seems to be moving away from the Baldurs Gate feeling and more towards Mass Effect.

While I like Mass Effect, Bioware already is making ME3, so this is just...strange.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline mxlm

Some Game Informer readers are claiming the cover story reveals that the consoles are getting that fight like a spartan nonsense while the PC version's combat remains unchanged.

Which works for me.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Looking like Dragon Effect/Mass Fantasy 2 so far, not impressed.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I don't actually mind that you play as a different character, they did it in KOTOR and Neverwinter sequels, alrite they were made by different companys. Would be nice if they put mentions and cameos in. I just hope they aren't going to make it a ME clone but in fantasy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline mxlm

-Narrators are telling the story which apparently jumps around in time not necessarily chronologically to key events. This means BioWare's patented 4 Waterdhavian Creatures formula for the games narrative structure is not being used
-The games total time span is a decade
-Events start with Hawke escaping Lothering the town destroyed by the blight in the first game. Events like this from the first game being seen from a different angle mentioned.
-Choice Quote: "This is, I think, the most reactive game we've ever done" -Mike Laidlaw
-Darkspawn are less of a threat
-No Ancient Evil Foozle (maybe)
-Mass Effect/Alpha Protocol-like paraphrases in dialog
-Goodie Two-Shoe Party Members won't ever ditch you even if you're an evil ******** spawned from the bowels of Satan's anus
-Non-magical synergy combat combos added - EX: Warrior sunders a dudes armor and then a thief goes in for a backstab to create a sum greater than the two attacks done separately
-Less total number of spells (Crushing Prison returns), but now there's some new spell augmentation feature.
-Team is pulling the PC and Console versions of Dragon Age II further apart. PC retains the strategic view while consoles get a action game?

From a post on qt3 by a guy with the game informer issue. Thank Christ for the no more Waterdhavian Creatures thing. May we never see their like again.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
-Non-magical synergy combat combos added - EX: Warrior sunders a dudes armor and then a thief goes in for a backstab to create a sum greater than the two attacks done separately
This. I like the sound of this. A lot.

-Goodie Two-Shoe Party Members won't ever ditch you even if you're an evil ******** spawned from the bowels of Satan's anus
This one, though, I don't really like it. The threat of having some of party members leaving me made it seem more ... realistic?