Author Topic: Crysis (Split from SotS2 Thread)  (Read 5914 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Re: Crysis (Split from SotS2 Thread)
Idk but it seemed plausible to me since the weapon is still being hand-held by the player character, and that has its associated drawbacks... :doubt:

Good to know the accuracy though.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Yeah, the Scar-L, which is one of the best weapons of the game, is hard as hell to find ammo for, except on the last level. It was my favorite weapon of both game due to the looks and because it was a powerful weapon, beat the weirdly-named AK-47 and the sub-machine gun.

Well, the Scar is the american gun. You can run the first few levels with it, then you are definitly out of ammo. Like it pretty much should be for a operative behind enemy lines. However, you can resupply your ammo at the middle of the game at regular intervals, since you are often getting supply drops then, your role changed from scouting to soldier on the battlefield.

Crysis is an incredible game and one of the best shooters ever made.
Half-Life 2, Crysis, Shattered Horizon, the original Battlefield, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1, InterstellarMarines (not finished yet)

that's my list  :lol:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I kept hoarding Scar ammo up to the spaceship, since I noticed you get some at the start of each new section, but I only made it halfway through the spaceship even trying to conserve.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I used up all of the SCAR ammo in the first level of Crysis and just dropped the gun after that. The FY ammo is everywhere, so you can afford to be a lot more wasteful with it even though the gun is inferior. I rarely used the SCAR at all after the first level, as by the time I found more ammo for it I had better weapons like the Precision Rifle. I think I used it more in Warhead.

One thing I like doing in these games is to strap explosives on objects and throw them at enemies. This makes the C4 and mines a lot more useful. There is one place in Warhead where you go up against a tank and don't have a rocket launcher, where this tactic works especially well.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Finished Crysis today, all in all, very enjoyable, looking forward to part 2. That said, I did feel a little bit let-down by the end fight, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but for some reason that last 10 minutes felt like it was from a different game. A weapon that was handily designed to take down the bad guy, and a distinct 'rail-shooter' feeling to the final section weren't exactly a let-down, but left me feeling like it could have been done better.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Your complaints echo those of...pretty much everyone else who's ever played the game. The whole thing from the flight deck on did pretty much seem like it was from some other game.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, nobody liked that ending.

Warhead had a pretty sweet final level, though it too had a lame end boss.

The aliens basically sucked.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I honestly think the confrontation on the flight deck to taking down the alien warship was the part of the game they built first. Then they designed a story to lead up to it, but as any author can tell you narratives have a way of going in directions not intended.

I wouldn't say the aliens sucked, I actually quite liked the bits through the mountains and right up until I met Prophet again.

A Feddie Story

Offline CKid

The music in Warhead was dabomb.
Spoiler:
My favorite is the hovercraft chase, followed closely by Airfield Hero.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Crysis in general had some pretty badass music, the one's you mentioned from Warhead are my favourites, followed by Reactor and Strickland's March from the first.

And, I am looking forward to two, despite it's more consolified execution, because Richard K Morgan is writing the story. I love him <3
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:34:45 pm by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes. Richard Morgan is the #1 reason I'm excited for the sequel.

Although I'd get serious ****ing chills if I heard 'Viral strike, viral strike! Stack down!' That scene in Altered Carbon scared the **** out of me.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Yes. Richard Morgan is the #1 reason I'm excited for the sequel.

Although I'd get serious ****ing chills if I heard 'Viral strike, viral strike! Stack down!' That scene in Altered Carbon scared the **** out of me.

Haha, that's the exact quote that was going through my head when I was thinking of Richard Morgan.

Afterall, gotta get to the next screen.

Well, that and some of Quell's shorter, pithier pieces. And I love her "Things I should have learned by now. Vol. 2" quote about the Machinery of Justice.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I kept hoarding Scar ammo up to the spaceship, since I noticed you get some at the start of each new section, but I only made it halfway through the spaceship even trying to conserve.
Wait, how did you get it in the spaceship? I got it taken from me after I got caught.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Wait, how did you get it in the spaceship? I got it taken from me after I got caught.

I believe there was a cache of your stolen weapons lying about somewhere near the NK general.

Alternatively, I must have cheated. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I don't get the bit about running out of ammo in the core.  (I assume this is what you mean by "in the spaceship", where the aliens are outside their suits.)  I've NEVER run low on ammo in that level.  As long as you just aim, you shouldn't have a problem.  And if you never found them, there are reloads at the top of a couple of the big rooms inside the ball looking things.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't get the bit about running out of ammo in the core.  (I assume this is what you mean by "in the spaceship", where the aliens are outside their suits.)  I've NEVER run low on ammo in that level.  As long as you just aim, you shouldn't have a problem.

A number of the aliens seemed to have serious hit detection problems. I was unable to even prove that they could be killed for about fifteen minutes of tangling with the first ones I met, possibly because they'd regen when I had to duck out of sight to save my hide while I adapted to the environment.

I'm aware of the ammo, but none of it's for the SCAR. I recall shotgun and minigun rounds but neither was terribly useful in that section. There was a limited amount of FY incendiaries that saw me through in the end.

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I found that the shotgun was the best weapon to use in that section, I'd wait until they try to hit me and shoot them in the ****ing face before they had a chance, bastards. Depending on where they were shot, it'd kill in one hit, though due to collision problems present in both they and their suits, some of the hot can miss.

I didn't know about all the ammo laying around in front of the cave entrance and those little pocket so i basically had to beat them to death with my fists for the rest of the map after halfway. :p
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:14:19 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah, nobody liked that ending.

A pretty broad statement, isn't it?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I only had fun with the Scar in Warhead because they put more bass or whatever you call it into the fire sound.

That said I wonder how Crytek does it with their gun sounds, even in the first Far Cry. Okay, the single shots aren't all that perfect compared to other games since the sounds are loops instead of single shots, but in fully automatic... :nod:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I don't get the bit about running out of ammo in the core.  (I assume this is what you mean by "in the spaceship", where the aliens are outside their suits.)  I've NEVER run low on ammo in that level.  As long as you just aim, you shouldn't have a problem.  And if you never found them, there are reloads at the top of a couple of the big rooms inside the ball looking things.

Pfff, I come out of the Core with full ammo, I use a mixture of stealth and strength to just punch the Aliens to death - it's so much more satisfying (You know, grabbing them and punching them to death). But then, I was completely at home in the Zero G environment for some reason.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp