Author Topic: Compatibility with ATI Catalyst 10.6  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Kolgena

Compatibility with ATI Catalyst 10.6
So, I've read that the new support for OGL 4.0 and 3.3 is breaking lots of old games that run on said language.

Has anyone recently downloaded/tested the 10.6 drivers to see whether this is the case for FSO? If so, what card are you using?
(I'd test myself with my mobility 3650, but thought it'd be a lesser waste of time if I asked around before potentially needing to roll back to my 9.12)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Compatibility with ATI Catalyst 10.6
I'm running on the latest Catalyst drivers. It works fine. Only issue is that postprocessing crashes the game.

I'm on a 5850.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
PP crashes the game on a 5850?  So far I've only heard it happening for sure on a 5870. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
PP crashes the game on a 5850?  So far I've only heard it happening for sure on a 5870. 

It's definitely a 5850 and it definitely crashes the game. I believe it's a driver issue.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
58xx seems to have that problem while 57xx works, no word about 56xx-54xx.

Offline Kolgena

Interestingly enough, mobility modder doesn't work with anything 10.1+.  I use a VAIO as well, so the official notebook drivers are out of the question as well. I guess I'm permanently stuck on 9.12 since mobility modder discontinued updates. So, anything said here doesn't really benefit me.

That said, I don't think it's harmful to discuss common ATI problems, such as that post processing bug.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
That said, I don't think it's harmful to discuss common ATI problems, such as that post processing bug.

In fact, I heartily encourage it. Anything. I don't care if it is a "I may be sleep deprived, but I think that texture just flickered"

The more information we get about video cards, their drivers and what they do, the better we can understand issues and hopefully provide solutions.

(This goes for nVidia cards as well. And Intel. (if we have to...just kidding)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I just bought a 5670 (Boooooouh  :lol:) and I don't have any crash problem. But the PP DON'T work for me. I see NO difference in game, apart the antialiasing de-activated.  :confused:

I have the PP files in my Mediavps directory (effects in \effects and post_process.tbl in \tables)

I'm sure I have done something wrong.

Using the last build 3.6.12 RC3.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Have you enabled post-processing in the Launcher (look in the "Experimental" feature list)? Are you using the -bloom_intensity commandline option?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Post-processing enabled, but what is the -bloom_intensity commandline ?

EDIT : just put this command in the"custom flag" with a value of 50, don't see anything change.

EDIT 2 : With a value of 160, the explosions, reactor & planets seems to have more "brightness", but it's not as exagerated as others game IMO  :). Seems to be working. Question : is the antialiasing really de-activated everywhere, or only on the PP surfaces ? It's about performance. Should'nt have AA activated if it don't show but eat ressources...

@ The E : Thanks, I wasn't aware of that command line  :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:16:01 pm by Satellight »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a custom option you have to enter manually in the "Custom Flags" field. Enter "-bloom_intensity" followed by a number between 0 and 160 to enable the bloom effect.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Bloom is enabled by default when post processing flag is ticked in the launcher. Only that default bloom is subtle, like it should be. IMO default bloom value should not be altered, it's pretty much spot on.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I've just installed the last drivers from amd.com... And then FSO crashes with PP activated  :mad:

No problem with the CD driver. I thought that was the 10.6 on it, but obviously not, as the 10.6 make the game crash with PP.

Hope ATI will do something. I install this driver to correct a weird line bug on The Witcher, but if I has to choose between games...

<Geralt de Riv killed by Sathanas' main beam>  :D

Offline Kolgena

What card are you using? I'm guessing a 5000 series judging by your troubles.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I'm using a 5670.

I will reinstall the CD drivers tonight and look at the CCC to know what version of the drivers is on it. I forgot to check it yesterday.

EDIT : Re-installed CD driver. I don't have the version number on CCC  :wtf: (like 10.6). I had it on the amd.com 10.6 driver ! Maybe it's a driver specifically made for my card.

Got these serial numbers :
Pilot package version : 8.673-091110a-092262C
Catalyst Control Center Version : 2009.1110.2225.40230 seems to be a 2009 driver, for sure NOT a custom-manufacturer-10.6 then !

No matter, PP works again. Let's back to play  :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:32:46 pm by Satellight »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
8.67.309 is the driver package version. nVidia brands the same way in device manager.

And I'm further going to guess that it is an HIS video card.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
8.67.309 is the driver package version. nVidia brands the same way in device manager.

And I'm further going to guess that it is an HIS video card.

Nope ! That's a Connect 3D !  :D

Offline Parias

I'm glad I found this thread, because this was my first time diving back into the project after a hiatus over the last year or so and I thought I was about to re-do my whole installation thinking I was doing something wrong.

I'm also getting crashes with post-processing enabled, running an ATI 5850 card and the newest drivers. Crash reports a clear fault with atioglxx.dll. Game works super with this functionality disabled however.