Author Topic: SoTS II (Proper this time)  (Read 8054 times)

Re: SoTS II (Proper this time)
The whacky colour scheme grew on me. As I said. I was completely charmed by the combat and the simple galactic conquest screen.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
okay, the ships are rather purdy, but I'd like to see the option mainly as humans to choose different colours, because the bright yellow screams too much for a military ship IMO.
If we really want colour, then green with a sort of forest camo pattern would be cool IMO.
or greyscale but with digital pattern or black with a few stars for a stealthy ship.

If SotS2 does ship textures like SotS1 does them, you'll be able to easily change the skin color using a mod, and it won't even break multiplayer.  Do you think I play SotS1 with the ugly Military Green paint job on the Human ships?

EDIT:  Beautiful ships in that video, and I hope I can get a few more pin-up girls on my ships. ;7

Nice turret coverage on the ventral side
Don't you know anything?  Ventral weaponry is for the weak. :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:56:15 am by SpardaSon21 »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Daaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn. After seeing that video I cannot wait for it at all! MUST HAVE NOW!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Hrm. If SotS II is half as good as Homeworld Cataclysm (for those who don't know, some of the Keberos people worked on HW:C), then I might get it. I doubt it will be, much like its predecessor.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
<insert seething rage here>

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Oh grow up. Cataclysm and Homeworld are bigger shoes to fill than any recent command-level space combat game has. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
 :wtf:
That sentance doesn't even make sense....

Offline Hades

That sentence makes perfect sense but I don't understand it.
Fixed. :p
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Cut it out.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
No, it really make no sense...grammar-wise

Cataclysm and Homeworld are bigger shoes to fill than any recent command-level space combat game has.

I get the idea..Homeworld was a very nice game..but SOTS is better.

Cataclysm and Homeworld are bigger shoes to fill than any recent command-level space combat game has.

No, they're different.  Homeworld is a full-3d RTS game, while SotS is a turn-based 4x game with semi-3d real-time combat.  If SotS had a direct copy of Homeworld's combat and managed to stay an excellent 4x game, then I would agree with you.  But SotS is a 4x game with excellent combat yet not quite up to par with Homeworld, while Homeworld is one of the greatest RTS games ever made.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Hades

Does the nostalgia blind as well as deafen you? Homeworld is a far better game than SotS could hope to be. Great voice acting compared to SotS's what-can-barely be considered voicing, Homeworld's textures are a lot more elaborate and prettier than SotS's, Homeworld's story also exceeds SotS's in both execution and writing, not to mention what SpartaSon21 said.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Does the nostalgia blind as well as deafen you?

No, does you?

Played Homeworld 1 and 2. Great games.

Still like SOTS better. Better and deeper background universe, really interesting strategies and all. Only wish human ship design was better.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I think I'm the only person who likes the SolForce ship design, it's a more realistic ship design strategy than most, the only sci-fi greeble is the node drive ring, which makes perfect sense in the terms of the universe.

I like it, simply for being a realistic aesthetic. (The lacking rotating sections for gravity would be meh, but again, they have ways to generate internal gravity, iirc)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Hades

Does the nostalgia blind as well as deafen you?
No, do you?
I actually played some SotS before I played any Homeworld 1.
Also, fixed the typo. :<
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Please guys, this is my only successful topic. Don't get it locked >:(

While Homeworld 1 and 2 are great games. I think the combat is more engaging in sots because it's like chess. You have to counter every step your opponent makes.

I mean sure HW has the same in the strategy area, but SOTS does it too in the combat where you have to fine tune manouvers and rolls and formations to maximize the potential of your fleet. While the combat in HW is simple click enemy and watch the dice's roll. Sure you can micro it, but you don't have to. SOTS enforces you to.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I like both type of games. Taste is different for each person, take it as it is. I liked homeworld 1 and 2 for it's own feeling, the story and the "reason" why you are building up your fleet. And sword of the stars I liked because of it's research tree, the good battles and nice weapon effects and the dimension, instead of a mothership as in homeworld you are now building a complete empire.  That's not really to be compared, isn't it ?  Personally, I'm really looking forward to the sequel

The only thing that I didn't liked in SotS was the incredible stupid voices and the too overwhelming playercolours on the shipmodels. I hope that at least the voices will be done better this time.  But nothing is perfect ;)

I think I'm the only person who likes the SolForce ship design

Nope, I also like that ring engine design very much :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

I always favored the SolForce ships mostly because they were the only designs that actually made any sense. The Hiver ships, which are huge lumbering blobs, have way to much mass for their intended drive system to be efficient, the Liir and just weird, and lets not even talk about the Morrigi and Zuul.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the designs, they just seem too impractical, but I suppose that's okay. It seems that the Human and Tarka designs were the only ones that were seriously created with practicality in mind
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes