Author Topic: 2010/08/02 - A status update  (Read 16549 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
How do you get the acronym MTA from Metaeroplankton? you're missing off like, half the syllables...
That's wasn't very high on my list of things wrong with that idea.

:wtf:

At this point I've resigned myself to the fact that we're never going to get to play another Inferno campaign, but whatever comes out of whatever Mobius is doing will probably be interesting in its own right.

Kinda wish we'd have gotten to see the rest of Inferno (the classic campaign about a war between the EA, GTVA and ultimately Shivans with some really big ships and a lot of new weapons), though.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How do you get the acronym MTA from Metaeroplankton? you're missing off like, half the syllables...

I would agree. While the concept is interesting in the way most sci-fi tech concepts are, I somehow fail to see how this impacts a FS campaign. I mean, if you're spending that much time hashing out the details of a minor deep background element that doesn't really have plot relevance, I fear that those elements that actually ARE vital to the plot don't get enough attention, or get buried in a mess of extraneous bits that don't really serve the story.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft

Well, I mostly tl;dr, as it appeared to be a minor plot point that didn't really need me paying that much attention.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:34:06 pm by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wish it was a minor plot point.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:57:25 am by Snail »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Guys, try to get a better understanding of things before you make your judgement.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Guys, try to get a better understanding of things before you make your judgement.
I dunno. The idea of plankton floating around in space in a FreeSpace campaign just seems abhorrent to me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I dunno. The idea of plankton floating around in space in a FreeSpace campaign just seems abhorrent to me.

Well that might not be what it is. Give it some kind of chance.

Personally I'm with Hero_Swe. At this point I've accepted that we'll never get to play a new Inferno campaign, and I'm just excited to see what possibly awesome thing Mobius produces instead.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'm just hoping with all my being that microplankton aren't floating around in outer space blowing up space ships.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm just hoping with all my being that microplankton aren't floating around in outer space blowing up space ships.

Eh, it's basically aldo's Nightmares.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Floating in space? You completely missed the point here. Ingame references to it will be minimal, probably nonexistent... it's just a background thing somehow explaining tension between colonies and introducing certain technological upgrades that will be seen in INFA2/INF SCP.

I agree with ShadowGorrath here: none of you seemed to have understood what MTA really is about.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Floating in space? You completely missed the point here. Ingame references to it will be minimal, probably nonexistent... it's just a background thing somehow explaining tension between colonies and introducing certain technological upgrades that will be seen in INFA2/INF SCP.

I agree with ShadowGorrath here: none of you seemed to have understood what MTA really is about.

Oh, excellent. This is good news. :yes:

I thought it was some kind of lame weapon. Glad to know it's just some cool background info. :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Glad you got it. :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
This is, as The_E noted, a bad sign. Now, unlike Battuta I'm not going to criticize you for having worked this all up.

I'm going to criticize you for writing it down. It takes me roughly thirty seconds to produce a complex background detail in my head. It should, quite frankly, stay there. Safe and sound, where it can influence storywriting without being accessible to the general public just in case it becomes necessary to fudge the details at some point.

Otherwise I waste thirty minutes writing it down and revising it into something readable. This is not a number I'm making up; I once actually bothered to write it down and ended up with three-fourths of a page to cover a simple background detail about how starship shields work in a universe.

The end result is that I'm not even keeping a file for one of my current major efforts. The other one has...at this moment six brief character sketches that aren't in complete sentences (even a cursory glance tells me that two of these are out of date no less), one major sketch of an organization (also out of date), two minor organizational sketches (one kept minor because I don't want to lock in how my main villians work quite yet, even for myself), a list of name/rank to keep secondary characters straight, and a set of poorly spelled star names (the SkyScout app for a Droid doesn't speak nearly as proper Arabic as most astronomy texts I guess) I pull out when I need another random Bureau cruiser.

That appears to come out to four pages, of which one is probably merely my insistance on a new line for every member of a list. Having just tired posting it here, it comes in well under the existing character limit. (It co-occupied space with this post.) Considering your comments about needing the post limit raised over 50,000 characters (your suggested number was about 150,00, I presume, though you said you might even need 200,000)...dear god.

You haven't even tried to build a mission yet, have you? Maybe not even a proper .tbl or .tbm for your modpack. It's all background detail. Inferno is the Emperor's New Clothes. It's parading about like it's the ruler, but it doesn't have any clothes on.

You've also managed to make me waste thirty or forty minutes on your storywriting skills when I should have showered and shaved. Dammit.

A Feddie Story

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
These are the latest additions. There are countless tables, and some 40 missions all team members have access to. Updates on the modpack have been intense, and your claim is quite weird if you ask me: do you know how long we've been working on this? You're acting pretty much as if we started 1 or 2 weeks ago, and created plot-related stuff without even trying to FRED a mission. This is wrong, completely wrong, and hardly understandable. You know what, I may take that as an offense towards me and the rest of the INF team because you're basically saying that we haven't done anything since INFASA got started 4 years ago. :rolleyes: Even Snail, who left the team one year and a half ago, could easily prove your statement wrong.

Let put it this way: we're trying to tell a story. The way I see it, campaigns aren't enough to do so even if you fill them with fiction. With all the ideas we've been having and discussing, it is a pity to just forget them when they may have their good uses. You're free to criticize this modus operandi, true, but don't expect me or anyone else to trash what we've been working on for reasons I fail to understand.

I'm not writing all those things for the sake of writing and sounding cool at that: in order to play the campaign(s), you don't need to read the upcoming descriptions. They are, however, recommended to understand the new INF universe. At this point, the question is: Are they useful? Aren't you wasting time with them? The answers are yes and no respectively, or I would have stopped by now. Writing these things is proving useful for both INFASA and the other INF projects: that's why I said that, despite the fact that INFA2 and INF SCP are on hold, work is kind of being done on them.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
These are the latest additions. There are countless tables, and some 40 missions all team members have access to. Updates on the modpack have been intense, and your claim is quite weird if you ask me: do you know how long we've been working on this? You're acting pretty much as if we started 1 or 2 weeks ago, and created plot-related stuff without even trying to FRED a mission. This is wrong, completely wrong, and hardly understandable. You know what, I may take that as an offense towards me and the rest of the INF team because you're basically saying that we haven't done anything since INFASA got started 4 years ago. :rolleyes: Even Snail, who left the team one year and a half ago, could easily prove your statement wrong.

For serious?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Writing these things is proving useful for both INFASA and the other INF projects: that's why I said that, despite the fact that INFA2 and INF SCP are on hold, work is kind of being done on them.

But there hasn't been a post on INF SCP internal since....last year, right? It seems like you're the only person left of the Inferno team. What happened to Hippo? Sadistic_Sid? Shiv? I know Woo's busy but this creative direction seems totally unlike him. Not bad, necessarily, but very different from old school Inferno.

These are the latest additions. There are countless tables, and some 40 missions all team members have access to.

Wait, all team members? These are all INFASA missions, right? INF SCP doesn't have missions so far as I know.

The way I see it, campaigns aren't enough to do so even if you fill them with fiction.

I'm not sure that's true any more.

They are, however, recommended to understand the new INF universe.

I just don't feel like this is the INF universe any more. It might be something new and cool, and I'm totally open to and heck even really excited for INFASA to see the cool stuff you've done, but it's no longer Inferno, the classic mod Woomeister wowed everyone with back in '01 (wasn't it '01?)

Inferno was about telling a FreeSpace-ish, direct, clear story with minimal narrative trappings, focusing on a bunch of cool new assets and a big big explosive story. It didn't need a lot of exposition and worldbuilding to keep it going.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:02:19 pm by General Battuta »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I just don't feel like this is the INF universe any more. It might be something new and cool, and I'm totally open to and heck even really excited for INFASA to see the cool stuff you've done, but it's no longer Inferno, the classic mod Woomeister wowed everyone with back in '01 (wasn't it '01?)

Inferno was about telling a FreeSpace-ish, direct, clear story with minimal narrative trappings, focusing on a bunch of cool new assets and a big big explosive story. It didn't need a lot of exposition and worldbuilding to keep it going.

Ok... Wat?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Ok... Wat?

I liked INFR1 and I want to play INFR2.  :(

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
But there hasn't been a post on INF SCP internal since....last year, right? It seems like you're the only person left of the Inferno team. What happened to Hippo? Sadistic_Sid? Shiv? I know Woo's busy but this creative direction seems totally unlike him. Not bad, necessarily, but very different from old school Inferno.

Shiv quit, reasons unknown, Hippo has effectively quit over the direction the project has taken, and I haven't seen Sid post in at least a couple of years.

A Feddie Story