Author Topic: Announcement: Rogues! (7-mission minicampaign)  (Read 6864 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Announcement: Rogues! (7-mission minicampaign)
I've been working on this project for a while now when I didn't feel like doing stuff for Descendants of Sol, and I had some spare time. Until a few weeks ago, Rogues! existed on paper, but I started FREDding it and write some of the more important (de)briefing stages in advance. At the moment, three missions are done and I also sorted out a relatively big plot hole while I was on vacation. Now I'm determined to make Rogues! a reality.

Rogues! will tell a fully credible but intense storyline, told over the course of 7 missions (and possibly one or two cutscenes). Credibility was the number one priority while writing the story, so there'll be no traveling back and forth between universes, no "universal translators" that can decode, without any error, any previously unknown language. It will also be small-scale, so there'll be no another Knossos portal that leads into unknown space, no Battles of Endor, no Colossus, and no Shivans!

The story takes place some time after the "domino effect" that elevated Bosch's rebellion into a considerable force, and as such, I will stick to retail assets, with the exception of the GTF Kulas (a civilian fighter), a slightly altered Subach, and the Avenger ported from the FSPort.

The campaign is about three underworld figures: Jack, an assassin (the player character); Nicholas, an ex-special agent; and Alex, a thief. The campaign starts when Nicholas sneaks on board an NTF destroyer, but is discovered, and has to rely on Jack and Alex to bail him out. Nicholas returns with intelligence that promises a lot of wealth. Events will soon speed up, and the rogues will find themselves exiled from their homes, pursued by the NTF, and to make things worse, they are wanted criminals in the GTVA space.

The story will be retrospectively narrated by Jack, to an unidentified listener. The three types of briefing (Command, mission, debriefing) are his reflections, but the missions will be played through Jack's eyes, "as it happened."

This is from the first mission: Get your friend out of trouble, then run like hell!

This is from the third mission. An exchange will go horribly wrong. (Yes, I know that the heading on start is the same in both pics - I will fix it in the final release).
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Announcement: Rogues! (7-mission minicampaign)
I like the idea of having the main character not being affiliated with any one of the main factions, it gives an air of desperation to the story...

Random observation, it seems to be in a similar format to Vassago's Dirge (retrospective narrative and similar length).

Looking forward to it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The campaign idea is older than VD's release and I haven't played Vassago's Dirge, so it's a coincidence.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
All new campaigns with good storyline are welcome  :yes: , although I have some difficulties to play them all  :( [IRL work don't help]

Seems promising.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Also, at the risk of sounding like all I care about at visuals, any reason for the lack of starfield?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It's there, but visible in the second shot only. I don't know why it's invisible in the first.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Probably jpeg compression.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

I might need to get back on the Kulas sometime...

:nervous:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5

I might need to get back on the Kulas sometime...

:nervous:
That'd be awesame.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Interesting, looking forward to this minicampaign. You know, sometimes I think they can be more effective at telling intense stories than any longer campaign.

One question: how are the rogues going survive? I mean, if I got it right, it's 3 people against both the NTF and GTVA. Are they going to land somewhere to repair their spacecraft during the campaign?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Interesting, looking forward to this minicampaign. You know, sometimes I think they can be more effective at telling intense stories than any longer campaign.

One question: how are the rogues going survive? I mean, if I got it right, it's 3 people against both the NTF and GTVA. Are they going to land somewhere to repair their spacecraft during the campaign?

I think they might employ
* General Battuta puts on sunglasses

improved evasion

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
They reside on a neutral-aligned Arcadia. They repair their ships there.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
Even more interesting. :) You should definitely edit your first post to add this info, IMHO.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
They reside on a neutral-aligned Arcadia. They repair their ships there.

I had a campaign idea that was slightly similar. Inspired by way too much Firefly.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

I think they might employ
* General Battuta puts on sunglasses

improved evasion

Took me a second to get it, but :lol:

+99 nerd cred to the Batman.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The missions are done. I need to tweak the briefings some more and make some gameplay improvements on the missions, but they're at a very favorable stage of development.

And some screens:

Escaping from an asteroid field. The ship in the background is the GTCv Baranec.

A Kulas-class fighter departing from a space station.

A salvo of Tempests with the new MediaVPs.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
WTF are those pink panels about ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I don't know. They come with the model.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You could talk to Woolie about getting a better version of the Baranec.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
He has one?
The Lightblue Ribbon