Author Topic: Old Republic Space Combat Trailer  (Read 4920 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Old Republic Space Combat Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdn9ey_Qg8&

Looks to me like Star Fox with a SW skin. It's got some nice BGs, but it's obviously on rails.

After I watched it again, I just about fell asleep... it's so pre-canned.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:19:24 am by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Re: Old Republic Space Combat Trailer
Ah, so that's what's become of the KotOR pod racing sequences.  Looks like an improvement to me.  Still no interest in a MMORPG though.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
They've got some awesome skyboxes.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline newman

The graphics is nice but that sort of space combat does nothing for me. The only thing missing is a flashing "insert coin" sign over everything. I guess it's a bit like the prequels in that respect :D
Also, have to agree with swash, for me MMO=fail. I automatically lose interest when I hear a game will be a MMO of any sort.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
newman, I'm with you.  I'm getting tired of flipping through PC Gamer, seeing a FRIGGIN SWEET game, only to see MMO and have my hopes crushed.  I think MMOs in general have made me shy away from a lot of the mainstream PC game scene to the niche and indy markets.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I concur, it's pretty frustrating that single player is getting more and more shafted in favor of multi. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Honestly - this is Rebel Assault with 3D graphics.

I concur, it's pretty frustrating that single player is getting more and more shafted in favor of multi. 

I don't see multiplayer so much as being the problem as much as massively multiplayer.  Multiplayer by itself is a good thing - I look forward to playing some FOTG multiplayer when it's released, and think it'll rock.  X-Wing Alliance multiplayer is still pretty darn fun, for that matter.  I have good time playing FPS games on multiplayer servers with ~32 players that is effectively squad - based combat, and works really well.

The MMO model, however, is a completely different animal, and typically scales down to the lowest common denominator of gamers in order to attract the largest numbers possible.  That's not ALWAYS a bad thing, and in some cases has made for some fun gameplay, but in general doesn't lend itself to simulator-type combat, which generally have a very steep learning curve.

Offline newman

Check it out!  Gameplay EXACTLY like 17 years ago!

Let's call it a "classical feature" :D
Also, I agree with most of the stuff you wrote, I'd just like to point out that I don't think anyone meant multiplayer in general but MMOs specifically.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Dude, the lasers lock in that game, just like FotG :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Check it out!  Gameplay EXACTLY like 17 years ago!

Also, I agree with most of the stuff you wrote, I'd just like to point out that I don't think anyone meant multiplayer in general but MMOs specifically.

I think I can agree to agree about that ;)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Check it out!  Gameplay EXACTLY like 17 years ago!

Don't you put words in my mouth newman.  Of course multi in all its disgusting forms is a blight on existence.  What kind of degenerate would want to play against the unwashed masses that fill the internet rather then the canned perfection of AI?  It's not like there is any satisfaction to be had from defeating another living opponent.  Count Buggla! Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elder berries!

But in all seriousness, I was focusing on MMOs but since it was brought into question it does irk me when developers shirk on the single player experience because they expect multi to carry the game.

I think my reaction to hearing about Old Republic went from "Oh Yay" to "Oh Balls" when I learned in was a mmorpugger

Offline Topgun

I want kotor 3....
 :(

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Don't you put words in my mouth newman.  Of course multi in all its disgusting forms is a blight on existence.  What kind of degenerate would want to play against the unwashed masses that fill the internet rather then the canned perfection of AI?  It's not like there is any satisfaction to be had from defeating another living opponent.  Count Buggla! Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elder berries!

Now go away or I shall taunt you another time!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Granted its a mmopugger hence my complete disinterest in buying it, but I'm not sure why you're all pouring on the flak for having a rails space shooter.  It's a minigame, they aren't going to somehow shoehorn in the next gen of TIE Fighter in there.  Be happy they didn't either, its a pain in the ass it's an MMO to begin with, imagine if it was an MMO and had TIE Fighter 2.0 stuffed in?  Be the most brutal tease in history.  Besides that looks a whole lot better then hitting booster pads in the swoop racer minigame from Kotor.  If anything I'd complain about the fact that their was only one player ship that even looked vaguely interesting and the whole cartoony art direction the game seems to be taking.

Seems like I need to make a large, wooden rancor and hide myself in it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Seems like I need to make a large, wooden rancor and hide myself in it.

Or better yet, hide in some bushes nearby and let them take it into their castle. Then when they're all asleep, climb out of it and kill the castle guards.