Author Topic: Creative differences  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Creative differences
The cables across the floor are a heckuva lot thicker than they were in the real one...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The cables across the floor are a heckuva lot thicker than they were in the real one...

Are... You... Serious...

Ok, now you are just LOOKING for something to complain about.

Does the thickness of the cables totally ruin it for you? Really? Do they even look bad? Or is it just different and you decided that it was SO different you just HAD to say SOMETHING.

:rolleyes:

Newsflash, buddy. There are a LOT of things that are different.

• Cable thickness
  • Exit hallway walls are black instead of white
  • There are lights at the floor of the Options desk
  • The piping above to the right of the main door is further right
  • The corner with the elevator is not as dark
  • The puddles are in different places
  • The camera angle isn't quite right
  • The herc cockpit is OPEN
  • The manhol covers on the floor are smaller

Should I continue?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:56:14 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

We should get Brand-X in here to do a critique. :p
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline watsisname

OH... MY... GOD
THE PUDDLES ARE IN
DIFFERENT
PLACES.
!!!!

Seriously, Aard, chillax.  Don't be eover9000x too critical.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It obviously mattered enough to me that I posted about it...

And it pisses me off that, rather than addressing the one issue that I mentioned (the one which popped out at me even before I looked at the reference image), you (well, mjn.mixael) have gone and compiled a convenient little list of issues, effectively just to slap a "will not fix" on them. At least, it certainly seems from the way that you guys are responding, that you just don't give a crap about how accurate this re-creation is.

Creative liberty is one thing, but thick cables or randomly placed puddles don't fall under the category of "creative liberty". At best, maybe it's something you didn't bother to copy precisely. But when someone like me comes and identifies an issue, you don't just play around like their concerns are infantile.

No matter how trivial an issue seems to you, you don't get to **** in my face like this when I express my concern about it.  :mad:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:12:12 am by Aardwolf »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I personally don't care about the cable thickness or coloring of doors, but I can't fault someone for taking an issue with it.  I would however welcome certain additional changes, if certain SCP improvements were made.  If it were made possible to include more than two mainhalls for a campaign, I could see early versions including an Apollo fighter in place of the Herc, and perhaps even additional fighters cycled randomly as they are introduced.  Granted, the idea of having the scene actually displayed as a model rather than the static image + animations we have is cool, since we don't have translation support in animation control, it would be difficult to open the door.  :rolleyes:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kolgena

I think Aardwolf brings up a good point. While it's completely up to the creator to do whatever he wants with his own assets regardless of what anyone else wants, I think it's also useful to point out things that deviate from the original. After all, an unstated rule here in HLP is that all improvements for the retail assets should be as close canonically as possible, or make reasonable and accepted additions (huge conflict around beam fade in MVPs comes to mind here).

So, go ahead and do whatever you want, and we'll (at least I'll) respect that. Still, expect lots of nitpicks (like my thing about the Infyrno) from people like me who like accuracy.

(Come to think of it, I've probably brought up more than half of the nitpicks against you, mjn. Did I burn through your patience?)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think Aardwolf brings up a good point. While it's completely up to the creator to do whatever he wants with his own assets regardless of what anyone else wants, I think it's also useful to point out things that deviate from the original. After all, an unstated rule here in HLP is that all improvements for the retail assets should be as close canonically as possible, or make reasonable and accepted additions (huge conflict around beam fade in MVPs comes to mind here).

So, go ahead and do whatever you want, and we'll (at least I'll) respect that. Still, expect lots of nitpicks (like my thing about the Infyrno) from people like me who like accuracy.

(Come to think of it, I've probably brought up more than half of the nitpicks against you, mjn. Did I burn through your patience?)

All I want you guys to know is that I'm just not going to fret about every single detail being exactly like the original. That's ridiculously difficult and simply not worth it to me. I'm sorry that my recreation isn't going to be as perfect as you would like. But the hard fact remains that you can still use the original if you prefer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:39:34 am by Galemp »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I like to think of it this way: as we've enhanced the Galatea Mainhall, that extra power has to come from somewhere - thicker cables are the answer. :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah ok, apology accepted.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I like to think of it this way: as we've enhanced the Galatea Mainhall, that extra power has to come from somewhere - thicker cables are the answer. :p
Plus they look better.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
**** you, Galemp. I've got that post backed up on my computer now, in case you try to pull some **** like that again.

For those who don't know, Galemp edited one of my posts to say something along the lines of "DURRRR / THE PUDDLES ARE IN DIFFERENT PLACES! YOU RUINED FREESPACE FOREVER! / DURRRR"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly, man...that's kind of the way it sounded on this end anyway. :p

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Creative liberty is one thing, but thick cables or randomly placed puddles don't fall under the category of "creative liberty".

Then what does? No alterations at all? Then what is creative liberty but a sham?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
ZOMG THEY'RE A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SHADE OF GRAY YOU SUCK :hopping:

Thanks, I feel loved now ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No matter how trivial an issue seems to you, you don't get to **** in my face like this when I express my concern about it.  :mad:

That's funny, my first instinct when I read your post was to defecate all over your face.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
**** you, Galemp. I've got that post backed up on my computer now, in case you try to pull some **** like that again.

For those who don't know, Galemp edited one of my posts to say something along the lines of "DURRRR / THE PUDDLES ARE IN DIFFERENT PLACES! YOU RUINED FREESPACE FOREVER! / DURRRR"

I gotta tell you man, Galemp's edit sounds like the exact same thing that I got from your post when I read it.

And mixael, no sense in trying to argue petty issues. Just keep doing what you do, it speaks for itself.

Always remember.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
FFS guys, I wasn't demanding he make those changes. I just wanted an apology --- which I got, from mjn.mixael, until Galemp went and edited THAT too.

I was perfectly ready to put this issue behind me.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I don't think you deserve any apology, and quite honestly I think it's you that should be apologizing.

I'd understand this behavior if mixael killed your family, but to denigrate his work over the density of some tubes?

It's not a big truck. Let it go.