Author Topic: Creative differences  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What BlackDove said.  Aardwolf, it has been requested for you to be monkeyed over this.  I'm not willing to take that step at the moment, but having now read the thread, I think you're being unnecessarily rude here.  Disagreeing with mjn.mixael is one thing, being a jerk about it is quite another.

If it were made possible to include more than two mainhalls for a campaign, I could see early versions including an Apollo fighter in place of the Herc, and perhaps even additional fighters cycled randomly as they are introduced.
Multiple main halls (up to 10 IIRC) have been possible for years now.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I have PM'd mjn.mixael about this. Hopefully we can settle this without any more fuss.

For the rest of you (since PM's are, well, private):

I never meant to denigrate mjn.mixael's work. He's a talented artist, and the Galatea mainhall he's making looks pretty damn good. However, when I got three blisteringly sarcastic replies to my seemingly harmless comment about the cables, I got mad. That rant of mine wasn't about the cables (well, not primarily), it was about the hostile responses.

Edit: It has just occurred to me that maybe some of you (all of you?) read that "**** in my face" bit as me saying mjn.mixael's work was ****, which is not at all what I meant; that remark was in reference to the hostile reaction my initial 'cables' comment got.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:00:30 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
First time I stumble upon this topic, so I might just as well say something now that it's been mostly resolved.

While I don't usually like Aardwolf for whatever reasons, I can't but see this hostility towards him in this topic a bit unwarranted. All he posted was an observation on thickness of cables, that one sentence doesn't translate into a complaint any more than it translates into a compliment. I can't see it as anything but a neutral observation.

Then the rest of you go and open a can of whoop-ass on him, over a neutral observation that everybody just wanted to read as a complaint? Not too long ago I just so happened to comment on mjn.mixael's mainhall renders on irc and said something along the lines of that they seemed colder in colors than retail mainhall. That comment was passed on to mjn.mixael as a complaint and he later asked me about it. I'm surprised that irc conversation didn't turn out to be a crapfest like this, over a simple observation.

Then maybe two days ago, pecenipicek made a bold comment on irc about floor textures and procedurals. That turned out to be a crapfest very similar to this one here. While pecenipicek is known to be annoying sometimes, I'm surprised how quickly mjn.mixael has become like vast majority of community veterans. Touchy and quick to go into defensive about his work.

I don't deny that people really lack the effort to not come across like pricks, but come on, you don't need to follow that example.

Unfortunately this isn't even limited to this particular subject or individuals. This kind of behavior is well spread across the community, me included. There is surprising amount of hostility in this community, enough to break apart most communities. I've had a fair share of my own misinterpretations that have led to various cans of being opened with various results. And to be very honest with you all. I'm tired of it, I really am. Not only I sometimes find myself taking part in those, I very often have to see them happening on these forums and irc too. Even in private boards of hosted projects.

I honestly don't know what to say here anymore. I'm simply tired of seeing incidents like this all over these forums and irc time and time again. This is one of the biggest reasons why I don't really feel like contributing much to this community. Blue Planet managed to light that small spark I had left and results I believe, speaks for themselves. But that spark is no more but a speck of dust. That speck of dust gains in color whenever I see something nice being contributed by other people, be it a new asset, technique or code, but it quickly turns back into even smaller speck of dust when I have to witness yet another fight among two or more community members, who more often than not, are "respectable" community veterans.

I say, look into the mirror and think very carefully how much you yourself contribute into these incidents. Not very many of you can say you don't. There are these kind of people in this community however, and for that they have my respect, not that it counts for much. The rest of you however, could really learn something from them, me included. But until then, shame on us.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:16:25 am by Fury »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Fair enough, and worth thinking about.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
To be honest, I admire BlackDove for trolling his way to relevance here.

Aardwolf did not deserve most of what was direct at him (though I stand by own commentary that if you can't count that as creative license then what the hell can you?) but on the other hand GalEmp's actions were several times more silly than Aardwolf's response.

That somebody actually requested a monkey over this topic is...hilarously stupid. The moderation here has needed to calm down for a long time in my opinion, but a monkey, for this? What in the hell, people?

If you're gonna monkey the troublemaker in this thread, I look forward to GalEmp being monkeyed because he escalated things so readily.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
To be honest, I admire BlackDove for trolling his way to relevance here.

Aardwolf did not deserve most of what was direct at him (though I stand by own commentary that if you can't count that as creative license then what the hell can you?) but on the other hand GalEmp's actions were several times more silly than Aardwolf's response.

That somebody actually requested a monkey over this topic is...hilarously stupid. The moderation here has needed to calm down for a long time in my opinion, but a monkey, for this? What in the hell, people?

If you're gonna monkey the troublemaker in this thread, I look forward to GalEmp being monkeyed because he escalated things so readily.

and fury's point was miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I believe mjn.mixael, for the amount of work that he's put into this so far, reserves the right to be dismissive of nitpicking. I believe that 'randomly placed puddles' does, in fact, fall under the heading of 'creative liberty' that he's entitled to.

And I believe that community members should be mature enough to recognize how to choose their battles, and provide feedback in a positive and constructive manner. I am offended and insulted by Aardwolf accusing mjn.mixael, myself, and watsisname of "****ting on his face" when we tell him he's being too picky.

I also believe that that kind of language is not only inappropriate but harmful to the community.  I exercised my duty as a moderator, to turn something inflammatory and hurtful into something harmless and gave Aardwolf a warning and the opportunity to correct himself.

I don't feel that I could have done things any better except to bump the problem to someone else, and as a moderator and head of both these projects, that would have been pointless. I propose moving this thread to the Hosted Support forum if anyone has issues with my moderation ability, otherwise we should lock this thread and put the issue behind us.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think the issue has been handled fine and there's no need for individual members to wheel out their agendas. Let's just put it to rest.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
While Fury does make a good point, I have to say I'm behind Galemp's views on this one fully.

Lock away.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I feel like Fury's point is one of the things I like most about this community. :p

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Let's just lock this thread and move on... otherwise we'll probably start debating Fury's points.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Locked.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns