17 (25.8%)
Dawn of War
1 (1.5%)
Cossacks
0 (0%)
other
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Greatest RTS game/series of all time?  (Read 4884 times)

Solace

Greatest RTS game/series of all time?
For me I'd say that the greatest RTS out of the box would be Total Annihilation (1997) with both of it's expansion packs. The game has literally hundreds of units that are unique to each faction, there are dozens of multiplayer maps, the campaigns are enjoyable, and it has a stellar soundtrack. Unfortunately Total Annihilation lacks in customization. There are lots of user made maps, mods, and custom units, but there is no built-in map editor like in most other RTS games, and there are no custom games like in StarCraft or other RTS games, there is only melee in Total Annihilation (destroy your enemies base and kill his/her commander). Another shortcoming of Total Annihilation is that when you head online, unlike StarCraft: Brood War, it can be relatively hard to find people to play with. You can however find a few people on PhoeniX WorX, WarZone, and GameSpy Arcade however.

However, for a game that has been perfected, I'd say the original StarCraft (1998), with Brood War. StarCraft has a great storyline, unique units for each faction, a built in map editor, an average soundtrack, and the greatest online service of all time, the original (not 2.0) Battle.net. One thing that separates StarCraft: Brood War from the hundreds of other RTS games out there is not only Battle.net, but the ability to play custom games on Battle.net. The original map editor was pretty weak, but the community created several custom map editors (I recommend X-tra Editor in special mode for units and triggers, and StarForge for terrain) to create maps with. Custom maps range from defense maps to RPGs to bounds to movie maps to zombie survival maps, and everything in between. StarCraft also has millions of players from all around the world and is still the most popular RTS game of all time, despite being over 10 years old.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Greatest RTS game/series of all time?
It was hard for me to vote, specially because I also LOVE TA, it's one of those games that you can't get enough.

Ultimately I went for HW, only because it was better story-wise and it had much more relation with space (which is my obscure obsession).
el hombre vicio...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Dude, could you possibly act a little less like a bot?  Like, I dunno, post something constructive somewhere else?

Anyway.  StarCraft.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's a bot? really?

dammit, one of these days I might even come back home with a fembot and I wouldn't even be aware of it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mxlm

stellar soundtrack.
You can't beat For the Craftworld

Anyway, I'm torn between the craft and the dawn, so I'm not voting.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The only series I've played is Age of Empires (2 and Mythology, specifically), so I have to go with that by default.  It still has rock-solid gameplay.

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
AoE 1 is great for multiplayer...

I've only played Warcraft about 5 times, AoE 1 100's of times about 7 years ago, AoE II 10 times...
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Ah the skies turn black with hunting packs of Brawlers as the distant thunderclaps of Big Bertha siege artillery pound out a percussion orchestra of doom; the ground shakes and trembles at the advance of armoured formations of Bulldog, Stumpy and Flash tanks.  Total Annihilation I doth love thee.

Though much love to Total War(why aren't you there?), Dawn of War and Homeworld also.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Because Total War is more of a turn-based 4x game with real-time combat than an RTS.  If Total War gets put up there, I demand inclusion of Sword of the Stars due to similar gameplay mechanisms.

EDIT: Voted for Total Annihilation, if only because only that game has a war that has consumed the resources of an entire galaxy.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
let's say TA, because I like that style of RTS, large scale battles+set up economy > than having to micro a dozen units

Offline mxlm

No love for total war. The spectacle was great for a while, but due to CA's inability to create competent AI the series has nothing to offer but spectacle.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Voted Homeworld because Homeworld 1 and Catacylsm were both awesome games. Anyone who says there is a 'Homeworld 2' is a liar and a heretic. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Homeworld. The rest of you can go to hell :p

Was going to say Starcraft hands-down, but then I remembered and saw that Homeworld was an option, so it wins.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Of the available options, Homeworld, but if I'm really pressed I've gotta place Ground Control/World In Conflict up there.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline newman

Had to go with CoH simply because it was brilliant and it's not fair it didn't get a single vote till now.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hit C&C simply because its predecessor Dune 2 was absent which is a travesty as it is the big grand daddy of the RTS Genre
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I will definitely agree with WiC being up there, but I had to vote Homeworld. I would have gone with C&C, but I have to consider the series as a whole, not just before the Fall of Westwood.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I played TA a bit, but I found the AI unbeatable! The campaign, too.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Play Arm, zerg rush with Flashes and Peewees.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems