Author Topic: Shivan Crystals and Bug Fixes  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Shivan Crystals and Bug Fixes
I was looking through www.freespace2.com and I found this...
Item #: 3181
Original Date: 8/20/1999
[Freespace 2] I have trouble causing damage to the crystal in the Shivan comm node. Damage does not seem to consistently be applied when I hit the crystal. It seems like I have more luck hitting the crystal if I aim for its edge rather than the center of the crystal.

John Enricco: What Jasen has told me is that sub-objects are damaged by shooting at any part of their geometry and that no areas are immune. Closing this item.

James Tsai: Closed then.

Crystal? What crystal? What Shivan commnode?

:D
Seriously though...what crystal? there's a crystal in the commnode? and what do you think it does, power it?

Hmmm...this could change all theorys on Shivans.
Maybe they use those crystals as power sources and they went to Earth to get more crystals. :D
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline FSW

I think the "crystal" is a little red bit in the middle. Not really a crystal but just called one because it resembles one.

A better way of getting crystals would be to ask instead of rampaging in with a semi-invincible destroyer before the semi part comes into play.

I disagree with your theory. :D

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
It's probably just a descriptive term for the core.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Re: Shivan Crystals and Bug Fixes
Originally posted by Corsair
Maybe they use those crystals as power sources and they went to Earth to get more crystals. :D

yeah, it is well known that there's a lot of giant crystals on earth :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Re: Re: Shivan Crystals and Bug Fixes
Originally posted by venom2506

:lol:
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Nuclear1

Shivan Commnode subsystems:

Blades
Core
Shell
Crystal

In the SOC mission Into the Lions Den, when you destroy the Crystal on the Unknowns, it self-destructs. (Very deadly explosion, too ;))
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Well maybe once the Lucifer destroyed all life on earth, the earth would become one giant crystal. Think kinda like DUNE except not really. :D
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Kinda like DUNE with liberally-applied 100000000-degree, sand-melting blasts?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by nuclear1
In the SOC mission Into the Lions Den, when you destroy the Crystal on the Unknowns, it self-destructs. (Very deadly explosion, too ;))

Yep. :) Big puffy explosion... looks very pretty. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!

I think I'll put another :lol: here. :lol:

Oh, and just noticed the updated :jaw:  smiley. heh-heh

Anyway, on-topic stuff, think how big the Shivan space is. They must have hundreds of planets worth of crystals, and considering the size of their fleets, those they got from earth would run out really fast.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Originally posted by Stryke 9
Kinda like DUNE with liberally-applied 100000000-degree, sand-melting blasts?

Celsius, Kelvin, or Farenheit?  It really makes a difference (especially between C & K there - 100000000 C is SOOOOO much hotter than 100000000 K after all.  [grin])

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
1. Kelvin is not measured in degrees
2. the difference between Kelvin and degrees Celcius is constant (C=K+273), the difference between Celcius and Farenheit is not.  Therefore, in the long run where the numbers are as big as 100000000, the difference between Celcius and Farenheit will be far greater.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Except that his post was 1000000 C and 10000000 K...... which are pretty much identical.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There is a difference, but when we're talking temperatures that great, it wouldn't really matter if you add or subtract a few hundred... :D

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Just to quote Arthur C. Clarke: "If your standing next to an exploding nuclear warhead, what difference does it make, if it's potency is measured in kilotons or in megatons".
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline FSW

If it is in megatons, each individual part of you gets to see more scenery. :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Did anyone ever notice that the "knossos" flag in the ships.tbl only appears in 2 entries: the Knossos, and the Shivan Comm Node. I'd like to hear DaveB's explanation to that one. :D

EDIT: or Todd. :D ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill