Author Topic: About mission design  (Read 11076 times)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I also liked the big battles at the end, although I found protecting the bombers with the anti crystalline missile rather annoying.   
This. Especially after a huge gauntlet where I got shot down half the time. But I attribute that more to not being a great pilot (I play on medium) rather than bad mission design. I don't particularly remember failing Stage 1 (I think - the one with all of the Nordera)

I didn't really like the mission where you test the Ray variants because I just kept getting shot down by the swarms of Nordera fighters (Stage 1 was all right since you had wingmen). But again I think it's because I need to become a better pilot :P

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The asteroid run mission was EPIC, I really loved it... to escape from death like that, sneaking between a tight rock field, just awesome.
el hombre vicio...

Offline -Norbert-

Missions in atmosphere certainly have the advantage of definate ups and downs.
I once saw a video for a FS2 mod that had an artificial horizon (not sure that's the correct english word for it - the round, compass-like things in real planes that shows you your angles compared to the surface) in the HUD, though I'm afraid I don't remember it's name - it wasn't released, just a tech-video really.
Having that would make the mission even more awsome.... that is if it's even possible to activate/deactive HUD elements on a misison-by-mission basis.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
All in all, i loved the mission design...except the mission where you have to fly into big ships, damn collisions.

But more "orbital missions or planet atmosphere missions", that would be nice
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Missions in atmosphere certainly have the advantage of definate ups and downs.
I once saw a video for a FS2 mod that had an artificial horizon (not sure that's the correct english word for it - the round, compass-like things in real planes that shows you your angles compared to the surface) in the HUD, though I'm afraid I don't remember it's name - it wasn't released, just a tech-video really.
Having that would make the mission even more awsome.... that is if it's even possible to activate/deactive HUD elements on a misison-by-mission basis.
This device was scripted by Nuke and is available via his script thread.

Offline -Norbert-

Can it be activated for a single mission (or a set of missions) only? Because it would be rather stupid to have it in space missions too.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that it may be possible, but would require scripting knownledge.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think so, I think it can be done just in FRED...could be wrong though.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah i think there are SEXPs to set certain HUD elements on or off, and to change the text on them too.
Of course, since the whole thing thing is a script, its kinda hard to do with "just FRED".  :p

But certainly, you can control the HUD gauge's appearance in FRED (the script will probably keep running in the background though).
That is, unless the script draws on the screen directly, in which case you can't control it so easily in FRED unless it was designed that way.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah i think there are SEXPs to set certain HUD elements on or off, and to change the text on them too.
Of course, since the whole thing thing is a script, its kinda hard to do with "just FRED".  :p

But certainly, you can control the HUD gauge's appearance in FRED (the script will probably keep running in the background though).
That is, unless the script draws on the screen directly, in which case you can't control it so easily in FRED unless it was designed that way.

Actually you can turn scripts on and off in FRED, it's how **** like the title card in WiH's final mission was pulled off.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks for the feedback everyone!  :)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline oohhboy

I am a bit late to the party since I just finished the campaign recently as I had to wait for a fix to the divide by zero issue, if nothing else, Wings has a lot of imagination.

The atmospheric 2 parter was something special, the change in handling, the bright sky, the dive through opposing fleets. I think only one thing could top that and it's a common enough anime trope(Mostly Gundam as I have seen so far). A battle during re-entry.

The furball mission near the end was cool too. Every other furball mission has you fighting inside two opposing fleets, but for most part the cap ships were there as props unless you got too close, then life becomes difficult. So instead of scripting, you die if you engage the capital ships, you made it so that they weren't your mission and their presence made a visible line you shouldn't cross through the use of cannon fire.

The Prometheus frame missions were alright, but in this case WiH has you beat with their frigate mission. I know they aren't the same, one being a ultra heavy fighter and one a capital ship, but it felt like you were trying to do the same thing. Lots of firepower and you get to use it personally.

One thing I would like to see more of are assault missions, it felt a lot of the time you had to be on the defensive. A lot of reacting instead of counter-acting.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some way to re-arm since a lot of the ballistic primaries use doesn't have enough ammo like the railgun with it's 510(?) shots spread over multiple guns giving you an effective shot count less than a 100 on a 6 gun craft.

An awe inspring TC and I hope to see a VAed version in the future.

Offline -Norbert-

In some missions you can rearm (and repair - though not fully if I remember correctly) by flying into the Guardian Angels hanger (the left one when you are sitting directly in front and looking at the GA).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:32:09 am by -Norbert- »

Offline oohhboy

I noticed that only in one mission where you have to hold the line inside the anti-jump field. The problem is that your not really told and that when you are told, without VAs, your too busy to read the text. Also it isn't available at all times when you had the GA. It's also very finicky.

A way to fix it would be to have a the rearm command as before, but it is basically a landing request. You use it, you fly in and the an auto tractor "docks" you to the ship like a normal rearm ship. With some mods, I suppose it could be adopted to AI fighters so they too can rearm.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Let's drop the WiH vs. WoD comparisons. They're both great campaigns and Spoon and I work together too closely to be competing.

SPOON LET'S BROFIST

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
mebbe gonna beg you for some weapon effects  :nervous:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
BIG BOOM MISSILE FTW!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Flak

The only thing I miss both here and in WiH I think is some large capship bombing missions.

Offline -Norbert-

Spoiler:
There is that mission were you use the Prometheus frame to de-tooth an Armageddon and another one (the one were you can fly the hazel) were you should concentrate on the enemy cap-ships too.