Author Topic: Isis is retail, not MVP'd  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Isis is retail, not MVP'd
The PVT Isis in the FSPort does not appear to be the same as the one in the mediavps_3612.  While using the fsport-mediavps the PVT Isis appears to be using the retail model and textures.  There isn't a transport02 model in the fsport-mediavps only one in the fsport.  It appears because of the fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps_3612 priority that the mod is using the model from fsport 3.2 rather than the one from the mediavps_3612.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:43:29 am by Galemp »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: Isis is retail, not MVP'd
Same model, but the port one has no shine/glow/normal mapping. There should be a version of the isis that uses the new texture names in the fsport-mediavps. As is though, you're correct - the port one will override the MVP one.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
What's the Isis doing in the Port VPs anyway? Lemme get rid of that.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hey, don't be hasty there. :wtf:  I'm pretty sure it had some path or dockpoint fixes.  Either that or the Aten -- I remember I had to fix a bunch of POF data because the Isis/Aten docking in the first mission of ST:R was all wrong.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Then it belongs in the ST:R VP. :p
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Dude, no.  First of all, a fixed Isis is useful for many campaigns beyond ST:R.  Second of all, even the POF modifications that were strictly for ST:R (viz. the new Faustus dockpoints) you made me take out and put in the main Port VP. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Second of all, even the POF modifications that were strictly for ST:R (viz. the new Faustus dockpoints) you made me take out and put in the main Port VP. :p

Oh! Burn!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Can't imagine the issue would be a significant one. Let's see what happens.

Offline Macfie

The Isis model was in the previous version of the fsport-mediavps but not included in the new. 
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It looks like it is indeed the dockpoints that are different.  Comparing the two models in ModelView shows that the retail Isis has dockpoints that are angled away from the vertical.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Can't you just add the additional dock point(s) to the MediaVP one and modify the mission(s) to use the new dock?  Seems like a better solution then having 2 copies of the same model with only that minor difference.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think you don't understand the problem.  First this is a repair of an existing dockpoint, not a new one.  Second there's no "modular POF" specification; the only way to fix bugs in POF data is to override the model with a model that has them fixed.

Offline Macfie

If you are going to fix the retail POF shouldn't you also generate a fixed POF for the FSPort Media VPs?  Is the POF file in the old fsport-mediavps fixed?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I think you don't understand the problem.  First this is a repair of an existing dockpoint, not a new one.  Second there's no "modular POF" specification; the only way to fix bugs in POF data is to override the model with a model that has them fixed.

No I understand perfectly.  Edit the FSPort pof and the MediaVPs one.  Duplicate the one in the FSPort pof and name it something like FSPort_dock.  Add a new one to the MedaiVPs with the name FSPort_dock and the same path info as FSPort one and then change the mission(s) that need that dock to use FSPort_dock. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Er, no... that's a bad idea. The only way to fix something like this is to duplicate the fixed MediaVP POF in the Port MediaVP, because normally the FSPort fixed low-poly POF would overlap it.

Which is what we had, until I deleted it from the FSPort MediaVPs.

Of course I don't think the angled dockpoint is so much of a problem that we necessarily NEED this fix in the Port core files, but Goober would disagree.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well I fired up FRED, and apparently the angle difference is so slight that it's not really noticeable.

However...

It turns out that the original dockpoint actually had the Isis docking BACKWARDS from the way it should have.  The new dockpoint fixes the problem.  So that's actually somewhat more noticeable than a simple angular change.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
But if that's the way the Isis was originally supposed to be facing, why did we change it? :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I can't say that it was indisputably supposed to face a certain way, but the fact remains that its dockpoint orientation was reversed with respect to the other ships in the game, such as the Centaur, the Elysium, the Satis, etc.  So if one of those ships undocks and the Isis takes its place at the same dockpoint, it will be facing the opposite direction.  That's why I changed it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I actually do support that decision. It's just a bit more maintenance on my end to ensure the FSPort MVPs are kept up-to-date.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Uhm, this explains why the Isis model I put in my INFASA folder did not look like the one featured in the latest MVPs... :nervous:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]