Author Topic: RELEASE: Hi-poly Knossos  (Read 31131 times)

RELEASE: Hi-poly Knossos
It's now done!

Plug & Play pack (7MB) - contains game-ready POF and diffuse, glow, shine and normal map at 2048^2 resolution DDS.
Map pack (68.5MB) - contains all possible maps in 4096^2 resolution PNG.

Enjoy!

[ORIGINAL POST]

After the Akrotiri and several other high-poly Ancients, this one deserves a makeover as well - after all, it's a canon one. I know Aardwolf started this too a while ago, but he told me he doesn't intend to finish it anymore, hence why I take a shot at it.

It's currently at ~13.6k tris, the curves take up quite some. I was wondering whether to keep the lines clean, as they are now, or add some greebles to them? I'm also not too sure about the 'tail' of the large part, the original model is... inconclusive in that area.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:11:09 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmmm... maybe I should wait to create any more FS2 ANIs until this is finished?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly, I feel like what you have there is way too over-smoothed, to the point that the poly expenditure doesn't garner any real visual effect at all.  I'd much rather see the Knossos go the greeble route, but maybe that's just me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I agree.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Honestly, I feel like what you have there is way too over-smoothed, to the point that the poly expenditure doesn't garner any real visual effect at all.  I'd much rather see the Knossos go the greeble route, but maybe that's just me.

This, basically.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'd actually go for a balance of both. Tone down the smoothing a bit to allow actual detail on the model.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
WAY oversmoothed. One or maybe two iterations of the MeshSmooth function would serve you better. Then you should work on modeling in the macroscopic parts of the texture, like the canyons that have the energy lines or the dark techy parts under overlapping scales.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Right, well, this is how it looks at 4.6k. But if polycount is important, I probably shouldn't be modelling in wavy recesses for the glowy lines and techy parts...

Original textures, for reference:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:42:06 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline -Norbert-

Is greebling really important on this model? The parts are flying at such a speed that you can hardly make out the small details after all.
Or is tehre a way to deactivate the rotation?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
There, that looks much better. Polycount isn't really an issue, but it's always good practice to be efficient.

You may want to do your modeling on the low-poly mesh first, then smooth it, as it will be much easier and probably look better than trying to model on the new high-poly mesh. And as Norbert has said, the thing's going to be in motion most of the time.

Go for the really big details that affect the silhouette and the lighting; you can clearly see on the original textures how there's plates on top, and then an unarmored surface. Keep in mind what details will be communicated with the normal maps. Don't feel restricted by the textures' positions on the original model, either. So long as it looks great, close is good enough--like the Cain and Hatshepsut, for example.

You should also try and get the geometry on the individual parts to line up as they rotate. And remember that the whole thing is going to eventually be UV mapped and baked.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kolgena

Right, well, this is how it looks at 4.6k. But if polycount is important, I probably shouldn't be modelling in wavy recesses for the glowy lines and techy parts...

It's not that we don't want high poly counts; it's that we don't want unjustified poly counts. Please go ahead and model the details if you want, since those are visible usages of polies and will greatly improve the look of your model.

Don't feel restricted by the textures' positions on the original model, either. So long as it looks great, close is good enough--like the Cain and Hatshepsut, for example.

Hmm, well what's "close"? :drevil:

Offline Kolgena

Sure. That looks pretty good. However, that's looking almost Protoss-y, and I don't exactly see Ancient technology with those delicate protrusions (two front spikes) and such smooth curves. You'd think that a portal that's been around for millenia would look a bit more ruggedly built.

I do like the general direction you're taking it though. Just keep in mind those textures when you're making the model. I'd personally like to see some more waviness in things like the grooves.

Something that I think might be closer would be a blend of
and covenant technology. That's just my preference though, of course.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:02:48 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
lol the original knossos textures has bits of Orion tile on it.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

Sure. That looks pretty good. However, that's looking almost Protoss-y, and I don't exactly see Ancient technology with those delicate protrusions (two front spikes) and such smooth curves. You'd think that a portal that's been around for millenia would look a bit more ruggedly built.
What the ****. What natural phenomenon in space is going to wear down a construction such as this?

Disregard that message, it looks good like it is and I think you should keep going in that direction.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What the ****. What natural phenomenon in space is going to wear down a construction such as this?
Micro-meteor impacts is all I can think of at the moment.

I dunno. I doubt cosmic rays or solar wind cause any real damage.

Offline Hades

Gamma Draconis didn't have any planets, stars, etc in it, so there likely weren't any asteroids/meteors either.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Gamma Draconis didn't have any planets, stars, etc in it, so there likely weren't any asteroids/meteors either.

Didn't...have...any...stars?

What about Gamma Draconis?

Beat me to it.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Didn't...have...any...stars?

What about Gamma Draconis?

That wasn't a star... it was a Had--!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.