Author Topic: Call of Duty: Black Ops  (Read 7736 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Call of Duty: Black Ops
So guys, have you played it?

Looked quite decent from what I read, will definetely buy next Tuesday night after my last exam.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops
Got vaguely interested in it, mostly because of the amazing zombie mode intro (impersonations so perfect!)

However everything I've heard suggests the single player story is amongst the shortest (5 hours) and crappiest yet, so...eh. Multiplayer's likely to be another Modern Warfare mod, and with Bad Company 2 around taking names, I'm not sold.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Really? I was reading some of the reviews earlier today whilst I was at school *studying* and some reported it to be among the better end of the COD storylines.

Either way, I was kinda hyped about this one.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't know. I may pick it up on a Steam sale. I've heard a lot of negative buzz about the story in comments threads and stuff...we'll see.

I do like that they toned down the incredible stupidity of MW2's multiplayer. It took a while for the playerbase to optimize builds like sprint extended-mag shotguns or heartbeat sensor campertrons, but god, combine those with the killstreaks and it was just rage-inducing.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
 :lol:

Hahaha! That's actually the best multiplayer ad I've ever seen.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

You know, my Robotics teacher looks almost exactly like Gordan Freeman.....

Anyways, yeah, I've read a few reviews and all have said that the story is actually the best of all of the CoDs. There only major recurring complaint about the SP that I've noticed is gripes about level design.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
MW2 disgusted me and I will never trust IW.
but man, this game, with the explosive nerfs, removal of stopping power, attempts at weapon balance, the SPLITSCREEN ONLINE HELL YEAH, the zombies, man, this game is going to get plenty of my attention when I play.

that TV advert was flippin sweat, too.

well, back to studying the equally exciting world of fast adders and VHDL code

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Meh, just another cookie-cutter console shooter. I'll pass.

Offline Demitri

Is it a continuation of the Modern Warfare storyline or something different?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'm pretty sure it's something different, but I haven't played it yet, so no promise there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Something different. They don't have clear legal right to the Modern Warfare name or story right now. Different studio anyway.

Offline Nuclear1

Just picked it up today.  I'll give it a play tonight.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Besides, after the total trainwreck storyline of MW2 calling blank slate is pretty welcome.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuclear1

It's actually a sequel to World at War.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
God DAMN it they brought back the infinite enemy spawn bull**** from MW1.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yep. Push over the barrels, I keep hearing people say.

Offline Nuclear1

I've played through about half of the single-player campaign.

And while it's not much different than a typical first person shooter, it definitely has its moments story-wise.  Definitely worth the investment.