Author Topic: Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2?  (Read 6042 times)

Offline est1895

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2?
Hey guys.  I need some info on this joystick.  Will it emulate the keyboard and mouse?  Is the "red" version better?  If so why?  your input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2?
any joystick can do that with the right software. but why?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Davros

the sidewinder 2 (are you refering to the stick or the wheel)
well they both rock and you can program the buttons to any set of keypresses you want

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i use ch because the config software is pretty top notch.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline est1895

Can you recommend which CH Joystick since I'm only going to be able pay, at most $20.00. :cool:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
:lol:

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Nuke, don't be a dick.

est1895, Saitek ST290 - best stick you can get for $20 IMO. Will last forever. Try getting the Cyborg or whatever if you can, that thing looks awesome.
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is also pretty good, I used to have my doubts about their reliability but mine's been kicking for the past 3+ years.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
heh, its what i do best.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Actually, Nuke has a point. CH sticks or products in general are NOT cheap, but they're built superbly well and would be worth the investment.

As for economy, I'd go Logitech as I have one of thier sticks, the afore-mentioned Extreme 3D Pro. If you need cheaper, there's always the Attack 3, though that won't supply you with a twist axis. However, if you want a new stick and not something that you got used off of ebay or Amazon, the Attack 3 goes for $20 if you order directly from Logitech:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/joysticks/devices/302
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
CH, personally, is too bland for me. The stuff is solid but aesthetically unappealing and way more expensive than the competition. Personally I haven't used this version of the ST290, but I had the older one and loved it;

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-ST90-Joystick/dp/B0000AW9RQ

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its also made in the usa, how many products can you find that are made in the usa anymore. but the stick has the best spring tension of any stick ive ever had. probably because ch uses larger more flexible springs than most joysticks. the result is the proper amount of tactile feedback without making your wrist ache. the best part is it seems to get better with age (mine are at least 3 years old). most of the saitek sticks ive owned (and ive owned at least 3) either completely stopped working, broke, or became inaccurate as they approached the 2 year mark. if youre gonna spend $200+ on a joystick, it better last several years. the aesthetics arent so good but fnctionally they are some of the best sticks that ive ever used.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:26:14 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Again, my thoughts go with Nuke here. Stick aesthetics? Pah. Most actual flight controllers aren't that pretty, but they do the job! In fact, it seems the CH Fighterstick and Combatstick are based off of the F-16's flight controller!

And though Saitek sticks do look rather cool, in most regards they are quite over-done, and do seem a bit fragile - I say this after giving the X-52 a good look over. Again, I'd say the best intermediary stick you can get is the Extreme 3D Pro from Logitech.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline est1895

Thanks you guys.  :nod: I forgot to say on more thing...It must come with software that allows the stick itself to emulate the keyboard and mouse, not just the buttons.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
HMMMMM...

That's interesting. What are you doing that you need the stick to emulate the mouse? Logitech sticks come with great software profiling tools, but I've never heard of someone wanting to do that.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ch's software does everything right out of the box, saitek's will do keyboard, and i think mouse with some limitations. its not as good as the ch software, but it doesnt have its learning curve either. there are 3rd party utils for emulating mice and keyboards and other stuff like that. glovepie for example is pretty versatile and can convert any kind of input into any other kind of input, thoug it can have a learning curve if you need to do something complicated (it supports scripting).

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline est1895

HMMMMM...

That's interesting. What are you doing that you need the stick to emulate the mouse? Logitech sticks come with great software profiling tools, but I've never heard of someone wanting to do that.

This will be a Christmas present for my elderly brother.  So of the games that come out have not support for joysticks.  For example, black fire games makes a game called, "Alien Dominion" its a game where you play as a turret gunner for a space ship with a top and lower turret.  A game clearly should be using a joystick.  And of course Freespace 2 mods.  He has never had a joystick with feedback on it and he tends to be a bit rough with them.  He is using a Raider Pro joystick now. 

PS. if you want to see the game Alien Dominion I think you can get it at Gamershell.  Bye the way, has anyone here played X3 terran conflict?

Offline Davros

HMMMMM...

That's interesting. What are you doing that you need the stick to emulate the mouse?

The saitek x52 emulates a mouse

Why do you need it ?
to move the targeting reticule in the forward looking infra-red and lock up targets in a comanche

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the reasoning behind putting a mouse on the hotas is because the point of hotas is to never let your hands leave the joystick. some games that require an ingame cursor benefit from having the mouse there. iirc saitek's joystick profiler software let you put the mouse axes on the joystick x and y axes and use the track point for joy x and y. ch throttle doesnt have one of these, instead it has a small joystick under the left thumb. but seeing how any joystick axis can be assigned to emulate any mouse axis, it can be used as a mouse in the same way. somewhere i have a script to let you control your lateral and vertical thrusters with the mouse (though my cockpit demo has integrated the feature, i cant seem to find my stand alone version).

now what i did not like about the x52 (other than its relatively lame profile software) was its single spring center mechanism. i did not feel it provided adequate tactile feedback. it indicated how far the stick was from center, but not how far each individual axis was from the center. the result was an undesired angular drift. i also never liked twist handles, i know it lets you lock it down, but getting pedals to work (especially in games like freespace) is somewhat difficult and requires 3rd party software.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:33:51 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Actually, I'd love a mouse analogue on my stick to mimic the precision of the mouse when I'm shooting down targets in, say, BtRL.