Author Topic: Marauder Corvette  (Read 20373 times)

Would anyone object to me making this ship?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I've never seen this one before... what Star Wars continuity is it from?

However, should there be any objections, I'd love to see one of these:

Dauntless-Class heavy cruiser.

:cool:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It was in X-Wing Alliance and dates back to some of the earliest EU books.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It was also in Empire At War, as a rebel long-range artillery.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Which was just weird... please don't implement it as artillery.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Which was just weird... please don't implement it as artillery.

It's also in Empire at War: Forces of Corruption with its regular lasers back (owned by "neutrals")
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I don't know how this would be implemented in the game. Artillery might be cool. Imagine a mission where it pops out of hyperspace really far away, and you have to defend a target from its missiles.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
SSM's?  I believe the code supports that but have never used it myself. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
SSM's?  I believe the code supports that but have never used it myself.  

Go play some BP:WiH. (for actual SSMs)
Or Shivans by Flaming Sword. (for local SSMs)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I don't think SSMs would fit Star Wars...
In any case, the FoC corvettes is more comprable to the apocalypse from BP.
In gameplay it is actually long range flak because it is mostly ineffective against shielded ships.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I don't think SSMs would fit Star Wars...
In any case, the FoC corvettes is more comprable to the apocalypse from BP.
In gameplay it is actually long range flak because it is mostly ineffective against shielded ships.

i agree, SSMs aren't very Star Wars-ish.
There are other roles, that this ship could fill gameplay wise.

Offline newman

In X-W:A it was a pretty good capship for it's size, lethal to any fighters that wander in it's firing solution. Frankly the artillery thing never sat well with me and it was obvious that was just forced for RTS gameplay value. Since FoTG isn't bound by that, I'd suggest keeping it more in line with how it was portrayed in Alliance.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Oh well. No SSM, then.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Looks really nice so far!

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I think this is one where I'd like to see some reimagining touches that steered it away from Star Trek territory.  Small stuff like turbolaser turrets and looking generally beat-up will help things appear more SW, but the overall lines seem like they dropped straight outta TNG.  Maybe a less curved, more exposed look for some sections?  It does look very nice...

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I think this is one where I'd like to see some reimagining touches that steered it away from Star Trek territory.  Small stuff like turbolaser turrets and looking generally beat-up will help things appear more SW, but the overall lines seem like they dropped straight outta TNG.  Maybe a less curved, more exposed look for some sections?  It does look very nice...

I was thinking the same thing.  It's a nice looking ship, but it looks really out of place in Star Wars.  I couldn't imagine seeing that ship next to the rest of the capital ships in the Battle of Endor, for example.  It either needs to be scaled so far down to be more fighter/light transport sized or completely re-imagined.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I do agree with the sentiments to date. The ship does look a good deal like an over-sized "shoot-em-up" fighter from the arcade games of the 90's.

If I was to alter the design, I might suggest accentuating or pronouncing the depth and volume of the undersides of the ship - the dorsal profile of the craft should remain fairly smooth and low profile, though the addition of turbolaser blisters and some additional greebling would be appreciated.

Apart from bowing out the underside, I'd suggest smoothing and detailing the wings. This will help migrate the model's appearance away from someone's reimagined fighter concept to that of a larger ship. In this regard, you might reference the Mon Calimari ships, within reason of course.

*EDIT

I'd also suggest keeping the upper surface as smooth as possible, reducing the prominence of the breaks in its surface where able. Any sharp lines and high altitude greebling should be restricted to beneanth the hull, with the exception to the exposed engine machinery above and below the hull.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:04:39 pm by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Just a quick reminder, this ship is not very big to begin with, and it is also untextured.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Just a quick reminder, this ship is not very big to begin with, and it is also untextured.

Perhaps you could provide a render with a pilot for size comparison?  With no obvious cockpit location (at least that I can tell yet) it's hard to get a sense of scale.  I was under the impression that this was supposed to be small capital ship sized.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
The Marauder is 195m long, slightly larger than the vette
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport