Author Topic: FreeSpace misinterpreting joystick button on Linux  (Read 685 times)

Offline Shevek

FreeSpace misinterpreting joystick button on Linux
I just did a new manual install of FreeSpace on Kubuntu 10.10. Everything works fantastic, except that after my latest set of control reconfigurations, when I press my joystick's button 3, FreeSpace thinks I'm also pressing button 2. You can imagine how that might cause problems. My joystick is a Trust Predator GM-2550. The joystick was configured with no problem using jscal, and in KDE Settings the buttons appear to do what they are supposed to. The problem also occurs with a newly created pilot. When I unplug and replug the joystick while FreeSpace is running, everything continues to work fine except for button 3. Sometimes button 3 doesn't register at all, sometimes it registers as button 2, and sometimes it registers as button 3, but has the effect of button 2 in game as well. Again, it appears to work properly in the configuration tool.

My install currently consists of the retail vps, the 3.6.12 binaries, the 3.6.12 mediavps, and the precompiled Linux launcher. I'm running FreeSpace with all graphics options enabled.

Any suggestions?
AMD Phenom II X3 740, 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM 1600 MHz
ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 motherboard
ASUS GTS 450 925 MHz
60 GB Mushkin SSD 285/275 MB/s
640 GB WD Caviar Green HDD
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card
Kubuntu 10.10
Trust Predator joystick