Author Topic: Weird polygons for backgrounds and while shooting at enemies  (Read 1299 times)

Offline phil67

Weird polygons for backgrounds and while shooting at enemies
Hi all,

I am new to FS2 Open. I installed the retail FS2 from GOG.com and its works fine. When using the FS2 Open exec, I get weird polygons for background while shooting at enemies (debris?), see images enclosed, and it eventually ends with a CTD.

Here is my config:

P4 3.2GHz
1.5Mb
ATI RADEON 9100 IGP
ASUS P4R8L

I also enclose the log file.

Anyone experienced the same issue and have a clue on how to fix it?

Cheers,

Philippe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Weird polygons for backgrounds and while shooting at enemies
Update your video drivers for starters.  If you still have problems after that turn on -no_glsl and see if that works around the issue.  Betting on the drivers though.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
do you only get it in FSO or can it occur in any game or program that uses 3D rendering?  I also get something similar but I suspect it's because my graphics card is getting hot.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline phil67

Update your video drivers for starters.  If you still have problems after that turn on -no_glsl and see if that works around the issue.  Betting on the drivers though.

Thanks for the quick response and advice, will seek for the lastest driver and do a fresh install tonite. Will post the outcome

Philippe

do you only get it in FSO or can it occur in any game or program that uses 3D rendering?  I also get something similar but I suspect it's because my graphics card is getting hot.

It's only in FSO, the retail FS1 and FS2 work like a charm.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:16:03 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Good grievance man... :shaking:

Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'E:\Games\GOG.com\Freespace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a

OpenGL Renderer   : RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series DDR x86/SSE2

Get rid of MV_Advanced at the very least. You may also have to drop the rest of the MediaVP's excluding MV_Root...

Updating drivers is worth a try, but with that graphics device I don't know how much luck you will have. My parents' old computer used to have a Radeon 9200SE with 128 MB (dedicated GPU as opposed to your integrated graphics processor), and while it could... sort of... work with the MediaVP's if I disabled the Advanced, the frame rates were horribly slow.

If your motherboard has AGP or PCIe slot, you might want to consider getting some cheap, dedicated GPU for it. Something like an old Radeon 3000 series or GeForce 7000 series. Hell, even a GeForce 6000 series card would beat what you currently have...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Parias

Absolutely - any kind of serious gaming on that kind of setup will be pretty awkward indeed, and even a cheap, throwaway, dedicated graphics card of semi-decent make will be spades superior to what you have now.

Offline phil67

Thansk all, I did try all and it's no better.  :hopping:

Anyway, I got the message I am buying a new toy based on an i3-550 and an ATI Radeon 5670, it should be much better  :)

Hope it will fix all my problems

Cheers

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Code: [Select]
  -spec_exp 15
  -ogl_spec 20
  -spec_static 1.5
  -spec_point 1.2
  -spec_tube 1.5

Only works if -spec (Enable Specular Maps) is on, otherwise they are useless. Try turning on -glow and -env as well.

Also, use -no_glsl (Disable GLSL (shader) Support). Seriously. No horsepower for it, sorry. Disable OpenGL VBO and OpenGL Render Targets if you have to as well.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys