Author Topic: Flyable ship list  (Read 14179 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The Caliburn was already the best fighter in WoD for my flying style. It was less explodey than the rest of the ships and had the best weapon ever (Pulsar sniper rifle) which was the only thing I could actually hit those blasted demonic spiders with (fast projectile speed, less susceptible to random unpredictable velocity changes).

I welcome all improvements though.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I had a lot of fun sniping with the Caliburn, too.
I don't understand why so many people don't like them... Then again I absolutely suck at using fast and maneuverable fighters.

Offline -Norbert-

Despite you sucking with it against manouverable fighters you don't know why people dislike using it in a campaign were there are a lot of enemy high manouverbility fighters? :wtf:
My favourite weaopn is the energy railgun, but then it's only available in one mission.

Since they don't shoot rifles in their cities (due to them being basically massive powderkegs) - and them actually having real cities, come to think of it - they are also too sane to be Warhammer 40K Orks.

Actually, both of those things are entirely possible for 40k Orks. (Orky city terrain has been modelled, even by Games Workshop, and amongst themselves Orks prefer to settle combats hand-to-hand...usually because they start that close anyways.)
40K Orks use close combat weapons because it's more fun for them. Nordera use close combat weapons in their cities because they don't want to blow those cities up.
Except perhaps for some of their more coherent Meks and Bosses no Ork would ever waste a split second on thinking about collateral damage that way.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Fast and maneuverable die easy....

Offline -Norbert-

Only if you can hit them in the first place.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I had a lot of fun sniping with the Caliburn, too.
I don't understand why so many people don't like them... Then again I absolutely suck at using fast and maneuverable fighters.

If you label it an assault fighter, even give it anti-capital weapons(!), people will try to use it as an assault fighter. And the Caliburn doesn't fly assault mission profiles, run up to capital craft and gouge their eyes out, particularly well. It handles other fighters well for a fighter of its class, admittedly.

For that matter, the Hazel was like a Boanerges with less shields and more armor (fortunately). I'm not sure if it's actually their fault or if they're comparable to other FS-based-mod/maingame assault fighters/bombers and it's an out of context problem related to better-defended capital craft in WoD.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I personally always felt what the Caliburn suffers the most from, is its large size.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:04:26 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And the area it covers, a tasty target.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It doesn't really look that alike though

A bit similar to the R-102 and R-103 (yeah, I shouldn't have posted that pic showing the R-101, it's misleading). I can't wait too see more models! :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline LoneFan

It doesn't go three times as fast because it doesn't have a red paint job.  Da red unz alwayz go fasta, ya git.

Personally, I always thought Misuzu would paint her custom fighter pink if given the choice, simply because a pink fighter would annoy the hell out of Crystal.

I second! He he he.

lol PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we have something like it in the next one

Offline LoneFan

Here are some of the fighter that will appear in WoD2, occasionally this thread will be updated as more progress is being made.
Some of these you've all seen before, some will be newcomers.

Ray Mk III

6 light primary weapon mounts (Retcon)
1 secondary bank
The Mk III design is rapidly starting to show its age and is currently in the progress of being replaced by the

Ray Mk III-WE

6 medium primary weapon mounts
2 secondary banks
In-corporating the strengths of the Mk III-W and -E into one design. The WE will be put into limited mass production until a new multi roll fighter project is completed.

Kaze-B

Better, Faster, less explody.

Caliburn-D

4 light  primary
2 medium primary
2 heavy primary
2 secondary banks
Revised and improved.

Ray Mk IV

4 light primary
2 medium
1 heavy
2 secondary banks
Currently still a prototype, the Mk IV puts Superiority back into Space Superiority

Hazel-D

2 medium primary
4 secondary banks

4 light
2 medium
1 heavy
2 secondary banks

8 medium
1 heavy
1 secondary bank

NICE! Ray MkIII WE, a natural conclusion. I actually had  the same idea wanting to combine the best traits of Misuzu's special issue fighters right after finishing the campaign, when it first came out. I am so happy that I'll actually get a chance to try one out.  Looks like the MK IV takes the lessons learned from the MK III upgrades and integrates them to a streamlined bottom up design.

I never used the Kaze, it just felt too vulnerable. I noticed that my wing men flying Kaze's were always the first to get shot down. The new model looks sweet, so maybe I'll give her another shot.

Loved the Caliburn, just lacked agility. Its embarrassing to get out maneuvered by Nordara at close range.

The Hazel, well. Its an old, slow, bomber no matter how much its been upgraded. Its primary armaments need the most upgrading those guns I was stuck with kinda....sucked. Need a trebuchet equivalent missile in the WOD Universe, right level of speed and firepower with really long rang. Those bombs I was using were easily intercepted, had to get near point blank to make hits. Made things a little messy.

Crya ships are always awesome, its a fundamental law a nature.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:43:57 pm by LoneFan »

Wings of Dawn doesn't have anything like the Trebuchet.  It has the Dragonslave, which is better than a Trebuchet, and the Heaven's Fire is like a super-Synaptic that doesn't suck.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
big boom missile ftw.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Dragonslave doesn't have so long range though, which, combined with speeds of WoD fighters make it a lousy BVRAAM (though you never really need to use it that way). It's an assault missile, to soften/break up enemy formations before engaging them.

Offline LoneFan

Are there any long range artillery type ships, like the Caviler but with really long range. I keep thinking modified skirmisher with four single warhead launchers(in the place of the cluster missile launchers it has now) that fire one strong, slow, long range warhead each. Just sits in the back of the fleet and spams missiles.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
The Battleaxe fits the bill for artillery ship. In M16 two of them sit back and just lob missiles at your ships.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline LoneFan

Yeah, exactly. I don't see an equivalent in the LSF though. At least not with that range.  Cavalier seems to meet the description. 

Offline CT27

I just saw a playthrough of this on YT; my favorite fighter to fly would be that Prometheus "light fighter".