Author Topic: Biology  (Read 10385 times)

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Quote from: Crystal

Crystal, do Cyrvan females have periods?

(probably redundant)

"No."

So wait a minute, Periods are a functional byproduct of the reproductive process, how in the hell can Cyrvans and Humans crossbreed if the Cyrvans reproductive system is so vastly different?
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They're inherently more efficient than us at it. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Quote from: Crystal

Crystal, do Cyrvan females have periods?

(probably redundant)

"No."

So wait a minute, Periods are a functional byproduct of the reproductive process, how in the hell can Cyrvans and Humans crossbreed if the Cyrvans reproductive system is so vastly different?

Menses are one way of handling a particular engineering challenge. Cyrvan biology could have tackled the same problem in a way that doesn't necessitate cycling.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

The man has a bit of a point. It would suggest, at least, that sterility might result in female mixed-race people. Or worse things like randomly bleeding out and dying through your naughty bits because you're not really designed to do that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

The man has a bit of a point. It would suggest, at least, that sterility might result in female mixed-race people. Or worse things like randomly bleeding out and dying through your naughty bits because you're not really designed to do that.

w-w-w-w-

Menstruation is the shedding of the uterine lining. It doesn't involve the direct loss of arterial blood through some kind of gaping womb wound. Overt menstruation of the human type is fairly rare in mammals, and it's a common misconception that other mammals (like dogs, for instance) have 'periods' in the human sense. The Cyrvans probably simply reabsorb the uterine lining internally, a process called covert menstruation.

Either way you're just disposing of the uterine lining one way or another. It's doubtful it'd cause any fatal flaws in hybrids. Sterility, sure, but that's par for the course.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:08:58 am by General Battuta »

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

w-w-w-w-

Menstruation is the shedding of the uterine lining. It doesn't involve the direct loss of arterial blood through some kind of gaping womb wound. Overt menstruation of the human type is fairly rare in mammals, and it's a common misconception that other mammals (like dogs, for instance) have periods. The Cyrvans probably simply reabsorb the uterine lining internally, a process called covert menstruation.

Either way you're just disposing of the uterine lining one way or another. It's doubtful it'd cause any fatal flaws in hybrids. Sterility, sure, but that's par for the course.

The biology student has been saved from having to explain this himself. Cheers Batts, some of the misconceptions that others had about menses were kinda scary.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
w-w-w-w-

Menstruation is the shedding of the uterine lining. It doesn't involve the direct loss of arterial blood through some kind of gaping womb wound.

Your point? Before you even try to talk about it, name me one hybridized animal that comes from a  period/non-period species pair and what if any problems it has. (The main one is there aren't any.)

This is a hybridized creature. Its biology is totally unknown to us, considering we have no examples to base a guess on, and may not exactly mesh well. Menstruation is something Cryvans don't do, so if their body is suddenly subjected to then need, your attempt to state that it won't result in serious problems is, at best, silly.  I mean, I could change it to resulting in a womb full of dead bits floating around that aren't being properly expelled and are necrotic and massive infection. That's also possible.

We're discussing two incompatible systems and you want to say that they won't do something possibly catastrophic if they're mashed together? That's bull****.

Overt menstruation of the human type is fairly rare in mammals, and it's a common misconception that other mammals (like dogs, for instance) have 'periods' in the human sense.

Aware of this, still waiting on that point.

The Cyrvans probably simply reabsorb the uterine lining internally, a process called covert menstruation.

Still waiting on that applicable point to the discussion.

Yes because we're not discussing an alien life form at all and all our experience with hybridized creatures from Earth is totally applicable!

Oh wait.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:21:31 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It's all Spoon's fault for not thinking it through!

:P

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, it's your and Battuta's fault for once again going at each others throats.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
w-w-w-w-

Menstruation is the shedding of the uterine lining. It doesn't involve the direct loss of arterial blood through some kind of gaping womb wound.

Your point? Before you even try to talk about it, name me one hybridized animal that comes from a  period/non-period species pair and what if any problems it has. (The main one is there aren't any.)

This is a hybridized creature. Its biology is totally unknown to us, considering we have no examples to base a guess on, and may not exactly mesh well. Menstruation is something Cryvans don't do, so if their body is suddenly subjected to then need, your attempt to state that it won't result in serious problems is, at best, silly.  I mean, I could change it to resulting in a womb full of dead bits floating around that aren't being properly expelled and are necrotic and massive infection. That's also possible.

We're discussing two incompatible systems and you want to say that they won't do something possibly catastrophic if they're mashed together? That's bull****.

Overt menstruation of the human type is fairly rare in mammals, and it's a common misconception that other mammals (like dogs, for instance) have 'periods' in the human sense.

Aware of this, still waiting on that point.

The Cyrvans probably simply reabsorb the uterine lining internally, a process called covert menstruation.

Still waiting on that applicable point to the discussion.

Yes because we're not discussing an alien life form at all and all our experience with hybridized creatures from Earth is totally applicable!

Oh wait.

Do you have a form letter you use? If so, it's overapplied. Trying to start fights out of every disagreement will in the long run be less successful than only supplying a few. Picking a few arguments to work on will prevent you from being screened out as noise and get you more results.

Both the Cyrvan and the human parents have a mechanism to handle the uterine lining. If they produce hybrids, it's perfectly conceivable that they would inherit one mechanism or the other, rather than no mechanism at all.

Your error in particular is here:
Menstruation is something Cryvans don't do, so if their body is suddenly subjected to then need
You misconstrued the 'need'; the need is to handle the uterine lining, and the Cyrvan biology already handles that. That was addressed in the post you quoted, here:

If your feelings are hurt because people think you're thick regarding menstruation, sorry?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thread locked.

Battuta vs NGTM-1R round BIGNUM concludes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Both the Cyrvan and the human parents have a mechanism to handle the uterine lining. If they produce hybrids, it's perfectly conceivable that they would inherit one mechanism or the other, rather than no mechanism at all.
This
and yes, hybrids are fertile

Thread locked.

Battuta vs NGTM-1R round BIGNUM concludes.
Thread unlocked. Please don't do that.
Also split.

Keep it civil and not personal peeps.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:42:36 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm gonna unlock this, I can always splitlock it out as per standing policy if necessary. This thread shouldn't be kilt.

EDIT: ninja'd!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's all Spoon's fault for not thinking it through!

:P
I apologize for not having a major in biology 
And you should know by now that I'm more than willing to put realism aside if it suits my purposes :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If the two species are not only capable of hybridization, but fertile hybridization, the genetic similarities must be pretty striking, with probably less than the equivalent of 5 million years of divergence. The somatic similarities attest to this as well.

Makes me wonder about either common ancestry or convergent design - but the Cyrvans hardly biomodified themselves, so I wonder if there's a shared origin somewhere upstream.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
There appears to be a missing post.

I apologize for not having a major in biology 
And you should know by now that I'm more than willing to put realism aside if it suits my purposes :p

Hey, I'm cool with that, but don't look surprised when you get called on it. :P If you have to go "lulzcreatorfiat" that's valid enough...well, to a point. We're still short of it, it's cool. :P

Makes me wonder about either common ancestry or convergent design - but the Cyrvans hardly biomodified themselves, so I wonder if there's a shared origin somewhere upstream.

Well, you might recall that Dawn was biomodified based on, apparently, an alien being kept on Luna, and get mighty suspicious.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, you might recall that Dawn was biomodified based on, apparently, an alien being kept on Luna, and get mighty suspicious.

Yeah, that was the theory I tossed at Spoon a couple seconds ago on the WoD dev channel. But he's silent on the topic.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Quote from: Maar, hybrid destroyer from starcraft 2
"Some secrets must remain hidden"

Quote from: NGTM-1R
There appears to be a missing post.
Yeah that got posted after I split. I deleted it because it followed the path of "on the person" instead of "on the ball" (Yes, I realize Battuta is quilty of this too).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:47:34 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!