Author Topic: User made campaigns  (Read 54749 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
As I pointed out, there are already a few campaigns out. I will update this post, if I find more. If anyone know something I missed, tell me.

Check this page and it's 6 downloads:

http://www.wolfman-x.net/

This is a new standalone build, an expansion and four campaigns, more to follow. Campaign support will be given in that forum from the creators themself .

Here in this post you can find a link to Magic's Exodus Campaign

http://www.dropshipcommand.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=15&topic_id=3886&mesg_id=3886&page=
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:14:12 pm by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

As I pointed out, there are already a few campaigns out. I will update this post, if I find more. If anyone know something I missed, tell me.

Check this page and it's 6 downloads:

http://www.wolfman-x.net/

This is a new standalone build, an expansion (technically the same stuff afaik, but already outdated) and four campaigns. Campaign support will be given in that forum from the creators themself (if they are still online, I don't know to be honest)

Here in this post you can find a link to Magic's Exodus Campaign

http://www.dropshipcommand.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=15&topic_id=3886&mesg_id=3886&page=

The Exodus campaign is a few years old and the oldest of those campaign noted.

All the campaign created by wolfman are available and supported.
The latest campaign is "Dead End" and it is embedded into the newest revision of wolfman-MC2X, a standalone gaminfg system that does not requirre any original MC2.

Check it out and game through  :yes:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:24:01 pm by blubberlutsch »
Visit this forum and inform yourself about
wolfman-MC2X and all campaigns:wolfman's forum

Offline Karl

Ok, since this thread is alittle under used, I think I will use it to release progress details regarding my MC1 redux...
I am working on producing a "as close as possible" replication of MechCommander 1 and later MechCommander Gold.
To achieve this I am pain painstakingly extracting from the MC1 editor screen shots of the MC1 levels, stitching them together using photoshop, rotating them 45 degrees to make the grid orientation the same as MC2 and then creating height maps for MC2 by picking off the MC1 maps one grid cell at a time. From here I am populating the maps with as near as possible replacements for the MC1 structures from MC2 structures and the added buildings. Again this is done by counting cells in my stitched together screen shots to make sure that EVERYTHING is EXACTLY where it was in MC1. From here we are on the home straight and I just have to play the MC1 map a couple of times with some cheats on (to see the whole map and make my units invincible so I can trigger events without having to watch my mechs and keep them safe) and then create some scripts for the MC2 maps.
Finally I am adding some flavor to the campaign by using "unique" mechs, for example for those who have played MC1, operation 1 mission 6 you meet your first heavy mech in a catapult piloted by a named clan bondsman (forget his name) when in my redux you will actually meet a Lupus battlemech but this will be THE ONLY time you will see this mech in the game so its your only chance to salvage it. There will be other instances of once only unique mechs replacing specific mechs from the MC1 campaign.
So now you know how I will do this, hope you all enjoy the result...

Will post screens (-mechs in the pics) and blurbs about the mission details

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
I'm curious; is there a way of handling the destroyable tree patches, or will there just be lots and lots and lots of loose trees around?

The latter sounds like it'd be a huge pain to set up.

Offline Arcalane

• Wait, I'm supposed to use evasive maneuvers?
    • Wyrdysm Games Forums
I'm curious; is there a way of handling the destroyable tree patches, or will there just be lots and lots and lots of loose trees around?

The latter sounds like it'd be a huge pain to set up.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to add a "tree clump" object that works like the Bridge Median in reverse. The Median appears in a couple of missions on bridges and you can force-fire on it to destroy it, making it impassable to ground units, but otherwise it allows units to pass freely.

The hard part (assuming it is even possible) would most likely be the spreading forest fires.
Don't think, Mechwarrior. Find out.

Offline Karl

What I am planning on doing at stage is use the forests as visual ques to the player about where to go...
Why? well basically the tree mechanic between MC1 and MC2 are the same... if you want to go somewhere in MC1 that is blocked by trees all you have to do is burn then down, the trees were never really impassable but there existence sort of guided you on the path that the mission designer intended. In MC2 its basically the same, the frees dont block you but there position can guide a player. The major difference is time, in MC1 trees took time to burn while in MC2 you only suffer a speed reduction while moving through trees. I may have to re think this when I get to more maze like missions (eg operation 3 mission 3 where you have to capture the fleeing resource trucks that all depart in different directions from the central base once the alarm is sounded) as the speed at which you can move through the trees may ruin the desired game play.
Anyway I am sure you guys would be keen to play test for me when I get to operation Vanguard ;-)
Also regarding the possibility of intact and destroyed buildings, they are all set able in the buildingname.fit files, super easy "passable = yes/no, destroyed passable = yes/no" so I could possibly fiddle with making a copy of the bridge but reverse its passably qualities (basically make it a normal building) to see if having a secret underlying path blocking structure could work.

Offline Karl

The larger problem for me at the moment is that in MC1 some missions had multiple drop zones, while in MC2 you currently only have one... Maybe we could find a coder to have a look at this mechanic at some stage

Offline Karl

I came across the MC1 demo today... I didnt realize there was one and initially I was not going to download it but then the screen shots caught my eye, I noticed that I didnt recognize the map that the screen shots were from and also how the player had a firestarter, cougar and raven, I mean I NEVER had just those mechs. I downloaded it out of curiosity and sure enough the map was not a retail MC1 map! (thought it seemed to be a pre-release of the operation 1 mission 1 map but with two islands) So for completeness I am announcing that I will be recreating this map also (as well as the two missions that take place on this map) and will be releasing it as a stand alone campaign. Yay for MC1!!!

Offline Karl

Operation Beachhead

mission 6

mission 5

missions 4, 3, 2, 1

Screenshots of mission 6 (with mechs in place since I have already let the cat out of the bag regarding the lupus)

First gate

Second gate

Firestarter mob

Lupus boss 1

Lupus boss 2

Offline magic

Nice pics Karl.

Very impressive!

Offline ThorC

Awesome Karl!

Offline Arcalane

• Wyrdysm Games Forums
Looking good!

Also, let's face it, half the Fun of MC1 was watching (in horror) an entire forest went up in flames after the shortcut you decided to turn into a raging inferno. :D

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
This, and I enjoyed watching turret controls braking down so much, that I destroy each one that I crossed :D
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Karl

Yeah the majority of the building animations of MC1 were very satisfying...

Thanks for the comments guys, I also think its coming along nicely but I would still like more choice regarding buildings, for examples the geodomes in the first Lupus boss image, well in MC1 the domes were much larger and that fenced area was totally occupied by them. I guess I should pull finger really stop complaining and make some buildings, hmm what a slacker!

@Arcalane well yeah I have thought further and now I am attempting to make the trees more "building like" by adding pass-ability variables to their data files, there are also variables in the data file relating to burning and fire, so maybe some tweaking could produce forest fires but I wouldnt bank on it... sorry
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:46:57 pm by Karl »

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thanks for the comments guys, I also think its coming along nicely but I would still like more choice regarding buildings, for examples the geodomes in the first Lupus boss image, well in MC1 the domes were much larger and that fenced area was totally occupied by them.

Where is the problem ? Just create a thread (best in the public board) with a wishlist for buildings. I can spit them out like a machine :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Arcalane

• Wyrdysm Games Forums
A picture is worth a thousand words. The domes are fairly easy to see there. :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Ah, that one :) Now I remember. I like that antenna stuff on it. Can you give me a more close in view ? That would make it easier for me to copy
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Arcalane

• Wyrdysm Games Forums

Anyone got any good campaigns to try out cause im not sure what else to try out . ALso how is that MC1 to MCO campaign coming?