Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 576536 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
If we get 512 height in 1.8, I'm fine with old maps being broken.

We get the ability to easily mod it to such, at least, although he warns that the chunk generator might have some interesting results with a height it was never programmed for.
knowing bukkit plugin folks, i dont doubt there'll be world gens limiting the height to 128 and leaving the rest as air.

Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline -Sara-

If 512 is introduced (1.8 had none of that in PAX) chunks probably will be stacked I imagine. Also release is 11 November 2011, so don't expect TOO much after adventure update. Though we get updates now and then after release.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
If 512 is introduced (1.8 had none of that in PAX) chunks probably will be stacked I imagine. Also release is 11 November 2011, so don't expect TOO much after adventure update. Though we get updates now and then after release.

Adventure Update is only the beginning of Notch taking Minecraft in the direction of sandbox roguelike that he wants - so my guess is that 11 Nov will also have a major, 2.0 patch released to complete that. As 1.9 will be finishing up unfinished 1.8 features, like the NPC villages.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I really don't feel those photos lend much credence to your argument. Those are huge, useless, and not that pretty.

And yet, they describe Minecraft perfectly.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I will agree to minecraft being described as large and useless, but I can argue the ugly factor. The game can look very nice with a good texture pack, the trick is finding one you like and your computer can deal with.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Texture packs don't really help all to much with the 'holy **** I'm playing World of Lego' look though.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page

I will agree to minecraft being described as large and useless, but I can argue the ugly factor. The game can look very nice with a good texture pack, the trick is finding one you like and your computer can deal with.
/me puts that one on the "to test" list...

[edit] okay, it looks okay up close, but far away, everything is just crap. too much noise/moire.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:29:32 am by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, you do have to draw the line between appearance and functionality at some point. The entire way the game works is using a volumetric system over a vast area. For enough detail to satisfy the visual junkies, you'd need a game that would not run on any computer currently available, Java or not.

I hate to drag up Dwarf Fortress again, but I think it's worth a mention, because it's an example of how the richness of the gaming experience is not neccesarily dependent on the richness of the visual experience. It's, in part, down to the player as to how enjoyable that experience is, there's nothing wrong with a visual tour-de-force but there's always a trade off between aesthetics and diversity.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

/me puts that one on the "to test" list...

[edit] okay, it looks okay up close, but far away, everything is just crap. too much noise/moire.

I have noticed that that one is much better for cave systems and forests, yes. Such high res packs are generally best at close range. Its a shame I've never been able to get the 512x pack I have working since a good chunk of my work is done in caves anyway.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
To bring up an older subject - I've got the latest word on pre 1.8 chunks and 1.8 chunks.

You can run a pre-1.8 map in 1.8, and all new chunks will be spawned with new algorithm and have all the new features. However, because of the nearly complete re-write of the chunk algorithm and the way that they are created, the interface between the two will be characterised by massive chunk errors, abysses down to the void, massive vertical cliffs, etc.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken