Author Topic: jTBLEdit  (Read 6378 times)

Offline m!m

Today I want to present a project of mine that aims at creating a new editor for editing FreeSpace table files.
Current features are:
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Parsing of table files to generate a table outline
  • A wizard to create table files with help of templates
  • Documentation of table elements :nod: (A big thanks to the FreeSpace wiki at this point)
  • (limited) Content assist
  • Table to spreadsheet exporter (currently supported formats: CSV, XLS)
  • Open tables out of VP files
Planned Features:
  • Format table
  • Error checking
  • Project System
  • Open tables out of VP files
The project is written in Java with help of the QT Jambi framework just for those who may be interested in this.

Now that you skipped that part here are some pictures:
Small Overview

The Table Explorer:

Documentation in action:

Content assistTM:

And the wizard to create table files:

Comments, thoughts, feature requests or something else?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:06:47 am by m!m »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh dear. Poor Sigtau. I guess we'll have two table editors.

Can this export to spreadsheets, or import from? That was the big feature Sigtau's Tableview 2 was headed for.

Offline m!m

Currently it doesn't support this but it would be easy to implement.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That would be fantastic, and make Fury very happy. Well done.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
+1 for spreadsheet support
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
What would be really cool? If it loaded all the tables done in the mod and whispered you the data from them, for example in ships.tbl, it would automatically let you choose from the armor types or weapons you specified in other tables.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline m!m

I already planed some kind of project system for mods and with full support for things like this. But that is far away and the next feature will be the spreadsheet exporter.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Wow, what a ****in' oneup. :(

If there's already a project that beat me to it, I suppose I'll back down and work on some other utility.

No offense to m!m... it's just that I was really planning on finishing it, but his project beats the **** out of mine on many levels, so I'm just going to kindly let him take the reigns since mine is inferior feature-wise.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:04:45 pm by sigtau »
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
il still use notepad++, it has syntax highlighting for every language i use, and i can write lua and tables in the same program.

not to say anything is wrong here, its good to have a variety of tools to work with.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
For some reason :nervous: I prefer the interface on sigtau's tbl editor more, looking back at the old thread, but with neither program released (at least what my eyes are seeing) I have no comment.

/looks at the pictures to m!m's tool again

Ouch damn ok now I do think it's a major one-up. That said, to +1 tblview2 (sort-of), I am sick and tired of scrolling back and forth between entries in an individual table in Notepad++ even though I occasionally have to do so (especially with multiple similar ships since templates are :doubt: at best...)

Still... different modder, different way of working, different tools, otherwise how would one explain people using max, blender, wings etc...

@m!m those multiple $Name fields in the Table Explorer picture just drive me crazy somehow... no way for it to display the string right next to it? e.g. $Name: Coward instead of just $Name...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline m!m

@sigtau Please don't stop your project just because of this as your program has clearly it's own distinct features that mine doesn't have. And also, as noted, it's always better to have two programs than one. :)

those multiple $Name fields in the Table Explorer picture just drive me crazy somehow... no way for it to display the string right next to it? e.g. $Name: Coward instead of just $Name...
The first four screenshots are old and I changed the behavior to display elements like <Element>:<Value>. Here's a screenshot of the new version:

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I really look forward to seeing both this one and Sigtau's. Table editing is one of the few modding things i can actually do, and having a program to organise it and show highlighting like this will be immesurably useful when working on them. :)
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline m!m

I now have support for exporting table files to Spreadsheet in either CSV or XLS format and now the program can also open VP files.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
bloody hell you are working fast on this, wouldn't mind getting my hands on this right now
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline m!m

I already had a full VP editor laying around and I stole borrowed the spreadsheet exporter from Goober :P
Currently this is quite buggy and you would have to download the Qt Jambi framework so it wouldn't be worth the effort. :P but I already thought of an alpha release.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:45:26 pm by m!m »

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Wait wait wait, I thought XLS was a closed format?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
and I stole borrowed the spreadsheet exporter from Goober :P
Ha! :D  Glad I could help contribute. :)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
If there's already a project that beat me to it, I suppose I'll back down and work on some other utility.
You could always come work on PCS2 instead!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Wait wait wait, I thought XLS was a closed format?

Doesn't mean no one ever reverse engineered it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

I'm using a library named jExcel to write the excel files.