Author Topic: Latest Nvidia drivers (7/9/2010) breaks normal maps.  (Read 1237 times)

Latest Nvidia drivers (7/9/2010) breaks normal maps.
Apparently the latest nvidia drivers (8.17.12.5896) breaks normal mapping.  There isn't even an option in F3 about normal maps.  Could this be when freespace asks the drivers about normal maps it now faultily replies that it's not supported?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:46:51 am by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Latest Nvidia drivers (7/9/2010) breaks normal maps.
There should be newer drivers then that.  Normal maps and sharers were broke in at least one release but were fixed as of a few weeks ago.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

According to windows update that seems to be the latest build.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Which card do you have?

You could try nvidia's site to get the drivers, generally a better idea than windows update: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Windows update?  You need to get some newer ones from Nvidia.  All mickysoft cares about is directx
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Well that seems to have solved it  :)

Offline newman

Yep had exactly the same problem. Windows update said the drivers were up to date so I went and installed newer ones manually, problem solved. I recently had several graphical issues both with max and the game, and traced all of them back to crap nvidia drivers.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The 258.69 and 258.96 broke parsing of deprecated OpenGL values and array stacks.

this also affected the initial test code shaders, forcing the addition of a #pragma option line. It became a lot more apparent under the go_faster code which handles shader code better and more efficiently (amongst other things) which lead to the shader rewrite in FSU.

260.99 (for both old and new shaders) are the best way to go.

In most cases, it is always best to go with Vendor drivers, not just simple OS drivers (which are really only going to be geared for the OSes benefit).
However, it is not always true that newer drivers are better drivers, it depends a lot on the hardware in question.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys