Author Topic: PC >> Console  (Read 30488 times)

Offline Davros

everyone who has made a serious argument for one platform being superior in this thread, please go to GameFAQs

nobody's stopping you

why does gamefaqs prove that no system is superior ?

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
It's a question of taste - as are most things people argue about.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Davros

Actually its not, nearly every metric you can use to measure what system is better the pc comes out on top, apart from price
cpu is superior
gpu is superior
sound is superior
imput is superior
more memory
more storage
faster storage

look at the comparison video's for cross platform released games (pc,360,ps3) and in nearly every case the pc version is better

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Yup. But many people are lazy idiots (what doesn't mean that everybody owning a console is a lazy idiot) so they prefer the console - it's easier to handle.

EDIT:

I'm with the man below me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:08:47 am by T-LoW »
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
everyone who has made a serious argument for one platform being superior in this thread, please go to GameFAQs

nobody's stopping you

why does gamefaqs prove that no system is superior ?

gamefaqs doesn't, gamefaqs is a hive of people who like to argue about stupid ****ing **** like whether a pc or a console is a better platform to play games as if it actually makes a difference

Offline Davros

well it does make a differnce
the pc version will run at a much higher resolution with aa and af and at a higher frame rate and on many occasions it will have higher res textures and improved effects

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
here's a novel idea

why don't people play on the platforms they prefer instead of splitting up into teams and holding a special olympics about which one is better

personally i believe board games are superior to your primitive 'PC' because they have near infinite particle-based resolution systems, easy modding and excellent AI in the form of neural networked systems with natural language mounted on a mobile organic platform

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
personally i believe board games are superior to your primitive 'PC' because they have near infinite particle-based resolution systems, easy modding and excellent AI in the form of neural networked systems with natural language mounted on a mobile organic platform

But it has Planck length limitations regarding it's resolution and it's AI can sometimes be annoying, since it hangs around even after the game, not to mention difficulty is very variable. :p
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

But it has Planck length limitations regarding it's resolution and it's AI can sometimes be annoying, since it hangs around even after the game, not to mention difficulty is very variable. :p

that's true and it's really hard to customize their behaviors

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This is so going in my sig  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
"Popular franchise" did not equal "best" last time I checked.

If that above is the list of best games ever...then I shudder to think what you consider worst.
No, but in this case, it pretty much does.  Just about every entry in the Mario and Zelda series has been among the best titles in its generation, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime regularly make "greatest of all time" lists, and several of the Final Fantasies are all-time classics.  As I've said in the past, if you've never played a single entry in at least one of those series, you're not a gamer.  Period.

The bottom line here?  Do what Battuta says.  The only reason I'm even arguing my points is to combat the asinine PC-only wankery you guys are spewing out, and I'd rather not have to waste my time. :p

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
"Popular franchise" did not equal "best" last time I checked.

If that above is the list of best games ever...then I shudder to think what you consider worst.
No, but in this case, it pretty much does.  Just about every entry in the Mario and Zelda series has been among the best titles in its generation, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime regularly make "greatest of all time" lists, and several of the Final Fantasies are all-time classics.  As I've said in the past, if you've never played a single entry in at least one of those series, you're not a gamer.  Period.

The layman knows nothing of quality.  He sees something shiny, and like a child to the television, knows no more.

Nostalgia plays too much of a role in your grading system.  The fact of the matter is, a number of the earliest titles (which receive praise) are not worthy of their glory.  That being said, a few of them are truly great.

The bottom line here?  Do what Battuta says.  The only reason I'm even arguing my points is to combat the asinine PC-only wankery you guys are spewing out, and I'd rather not have to waste my time. :p

Durpa durpa durpa? (No one is going to get that reference)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The layman knows nothing of quality.  He sees something shiny, and like a child to the television, knows no more.

Nostalgia plays too much of a role in your grading system.  The fact of the matter is, a number of the earliest titles (which receive praise) are not worthy of their glory.  That being said, a few of them are truly great.
I'm not talking about laymen, and this isn't my own grading system.  The series that I listed are all massively critically-acclaimed as a whole, with several individual entries easily hitting the best-rated-ever lists.  Hell, I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was listed in the very high 90s on Metacritic.

Offline Davros

holding a special olympics about which one is better

maybe because 1 system is better, its like some one is trying to argue a top spec pc from 2005 is better than a top spec pc from 2011 it just isnt

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
you are correct i can determine how much fun i will have by how many megahurtz there are on my frontside bus multiplied by the number of awesome fans in my case

this is coming from a person who builds his own gaming rigs: anyone who feels the need to argue which platform is best is either very poor or very deranged

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Also, there's totally a point in getting high-quality graphics output in resolutions above 1080p for systems designed to be used solely on 1080p screens.  Totally.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I can't justify the purchase of a console when I can game perfectly acceptably on my PC.
Hence the reason I choose PC, it's cheaper for me.

also, I enjoy being elitist
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Mikes

you are correct i can determine how much fun i will have by how many megahurtz there are on my frontside bus multiplied by the number of awesome fans in my case

Actually... building a new rig is a whole lot of fun...  ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
thus the second sentence of that post

Offline Mikes

The problem of referring to "fun" when comparing platforms however is that fun - for the most part - depends on gameplay... 

Now if we look at a multiplatform title that has been properly developped for both platforms (i.e. not a  cheap port) gameplay is the same ...  is there really even any room left for a discussion on what platform is gonna run the game smoother and make it look prettier? (And this btw... is coming from someone who has his PC hooked up not just to a regular monitor but also to the home entertainment systems projektor behind the couch...)

You are right... it s pointless to discuss.

What is the "problem" with consoles however that should/could be discussed?
Well the real, actual problem with some - not all - consoles is that they are closed systems with subpar components protected with restrictive licenses.
What is an X-Box actually if you took all the restrictions, licensing issues and patents away? It s a box filled with outdated PC-Parts nothing else...
... and the actual "problem" that i perceive to be detrimental to the gaming community in general is a couple of huge companies corrupt lobbying and bribery for games to be exclusive on *their* respective platform only... while trying to keep the actual platforms hardware as cheap as possible,yet selling it for comparatively ridiculous prices.

See... if consoles were - for instance - open source i wouldn t really have any issues with them. We could all get the platform we prefer based on actual performance and more powerful platforms could easily emulate lower end ones.

On the other hand would an "open source" console be anything else than a standardized low-end computer?

If restrictive consoles in their current form were to "die" overnight and be replaced by an open standardized system ...  no one would really notice. Except developpers wouldn t be torn by corporate interests between 3-4 *exclusive*  platforms anymore and we ... could finally play all available games without having to buy all these platforms.

Consoles in their current form create no value for the consumer whatsoever. If not for the licensing restrictions a current gaming PC - with a fraction of its ressources - could easily emulate the 360 for instance. "Consoles" are simply an instrument for companies to distort competition and make an extra buck without providing any extra value.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:14:13 pm by Mikes »