Author Topic: A disgraceful lack of beam cannons in games today?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
A disgraceful lack of beam cannons in games today?
A rather important thing I've found myself wondering today, what other games out there have beam cannons like the ones in Freespace 2 (regardless of genre)?

I mean it, to me it seems there arent that many games with them; that I know of there is Homeworld series (ion cannons), Starlancer (an ion cannon which behaves kinda the same way), I-War 2 (mining beams) and thats it. Anyone know of more?

Re: A disgraceful lack of beam cannons in games today?
Beam cannons?  The Lasers and PPC's in the MechWarrior games are almost like beam cannons.  The Monkeylord and Galactic Colossus in Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance have beam cannons as their main weapons.  Sword of the Stars has beam cannons, from massive fixed beam cannons to slightly smaller turreted particle beams to medium mount phasers to tiny small mount beam lasers in the A Murder of Crows expansion.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The bombardment beams used by the Covenant of Halo are somewhat like FS beams.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Star Trek's capital-ship phasers are essentially the same thing, so I'd imagine any game featuring them would qualify.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Beam cannons?  The Lasers and PPC's in the MechWarrior games are almost like beam cannons.  The Monkeylord and Galactic Colossus in Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance have beam cannons as their main weapons.  Sword of the Stars has beam cannons, from massive fixed beam cannons to slightly smaller turreted particle beams to medium mount phasers to tiny small mount beam lasers in the A Murder of Crows expansion.

i really like the way laser weapons were pulled off in mwll. they behave very much like beam cannons in freespace where damage is applied at various intervals for the duration of the blast. the only real difference is the length of the blast, which is much longer in fs. older mechwarrior games only really bothered to apply damage once, when the beam first hits, which is not realistic to how lasers work.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:22:24 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Command and Conquer: Generals uses a beam cannon for a super-weapon.

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory uses a beam cannon as the special ability for the <field officer class's name>.

Shattered Galaxy (could have been a good game, sadly) has an air-based unit (Condors?) that has a beam cannon as a special ability.

And I'm sure that there are plenty more that I just can't remember.

Offline Solatar

Several ships in Sins of a Solar Empire use beam cannons that behave almost identically to FS2 ones.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
and everyone is not thinking about the awesome beam weapons on some units in starcraft 2. a massive void ray attack is something to behold indeed.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Lasers and other beam weapons are available in EVE Online, let's not forget.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Empire at War to some degree...
Sentinel beam and beam rifle also for Halo.
No games seem to pull of beam cannons as spectacularly as FS2 in my opinion though.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's because FS2 was riding the Babylon 5 wave at the time, back when fans were still amazed at the sight of a ship being sliced easily in half by those Shadow beams while Star Trek still had people diving in the wrong direction in front of a shaking camera.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I am amazed nobody has mention Nexus juipter incident or heagomina( whatever), the Colossus from starcraft 2, Collectors from Mass Effect 2, The Link gun for Unreal. I have to say though that no game that features beam weapons even in todays games features the same huge umph! that the beams in FS2 give.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I dunno, I thought FS2 only handled them decently, because their size, especially on the ships (sgreens) and mounts were always too small for them to possibly fire from, which broke the suspension of belief and immersion for me.

Reminds me of a video from an early Halo video where the Bungie team were firing all the old weapons they had and pulled out the old sub-machine gun and the muzzle effect is at least 3 times bigger than the gun and one bungie member goes 'What the hell?! It's a fire hazard!'
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:33:47 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah, but they were so powerful they didn't just fire, they had to take a deep breath first. People dug that ;)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, there's the Collector Particle Beam.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Request a thread title to change to "List of All Games with Beam Weaponry" :lol:

If somebody could get the MoonStone Cannon into FS2...
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hell with that, we need the Wave Motion Gun. :D