Author Topic: Some fun with GIMP - FotG poster  (Read 3388 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Some fun with GIMP - FotG poster
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Re: Some fun with GIMP - FotG poster
Well - this needs some overall rework :P

(ugly stars - blurry joystick and blurry logo - boring fonteffects and unfitting orange 1$-gamepack bottom).

But I like the lensflare and the models (except the fact that they are plain grey :) ).

Sorry if this sounds a little bit harsh (maybe you didn't do so much graphical design - keep it up).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:58:22 am by T-LoW »
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I'm not an artist; this is just something to kill the time with. Hence the "fun" in the title. If I had meant it to be an attempt at an official poster, I'd have consulted with the team, and showcase the result we're satisfied with.

The grayscale fighters were initially meant to be better lit by the central lighting, but it didn't work out very well, apparently. I still have the original, colored pics saved on my HD, so all is not lost. :P

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline T-LoW

But it can also be fun to improve a fun-project and getting excited about the own progress :yes:

No hard feelings :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
T-LoW, that's true, but I might point you to the criticism sandwich.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline T-LoW

Well it wasn't a sandwich but more bread and butter. But okay, I don't want this to grow to another discussion about courtesy so I will go into critique-detail - even though this was for fun - because releasing things always ends up in critique (positive or negative) :)

The stars are just white pixels. They have all the same size and no other detail. You can easily create nice looking starfields by playing around with chroma (b/w) noise-effects (never used GIMP but I'm sure it has those effects, too) or you just type "starsmap" into google picture search. Far nebulae at the right and left borders would increase the quality of the overall image and also stand out the center of the picture where the action is going on (maybe the fighters could fire their laz0rs - so they have a reason to be there).

The joystick doesn't fit into the picture because of its comical look and the blurry edges (some additional erasing needed here end there) . The whole thing only has its right to exist because of the text next to it.
That text has no own theme. Maybe try the ramp of the title (white to soft orange/beige) or give it a more space orientated look ( e.g. a glow or put the joystick in the middle of the text and take a mask tool so the words arrange around it).

The orange bar could be exchanged with a planets atmosphere where the SCP-text is written with a decent dropshadow behind it.

And to point this out: I'm not posting here to insult anybody or show everyone my superior intelligence. I just want to help - and this is NOT for fun - well maybe a little bit :P

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Widdly scuds?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline T-LoW

What?

Just read about this phrase and it's very strange

I have to say I really like it as is. It reminds me of the ads for computer games they put in comic books in the eighties.  :lol:
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It's not my favorite upon analysis, but I must also say that I get a great sense of nostalgia from looking at it. If you could clean up the low resolution mess in the image elements, you might actually be on to something.

:)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

You could consider reworking the overall layout. Get some more flow and depth to your composition.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The primary reason for this pic's existence is the slogan: "Fate of the Galaxy - It's in your hands." The joystick is there to connect the metaphorical expression of "in your hands" to its literal sense. I'm crazy about metaphors. I figured I'd get a graphical boost to it, which I did within my modest abilities.

I'll definitely improve on the background. My plan is to have a big galaxy in the background, a la ESB. I'll borrow INFA's starfield also.

I found the joy stick to be almost phallic. Coupled with the expression "it's in your hands", I found it to be a poignant metaphor. We are, after all, modding this game for our own pleasure.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
:lol:

Offline newman

Well, replacing that joystick with a more serious HOTAS one might help in reducing the suggested phallic innuendo ;)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I kind of like the whole early-90s nostalgia theme it has going on.  You didn't need to sink entire art teams into designing box art back then. :p

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I found the joy stick to be almost phallic. Coupled with the expression "it's in your hands", I found it to be a poignant metaphor. We are, after all, modding this game for our own pleasure.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one. :lol:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL