Author Topic: Game Balancing  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Setekh:
I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. The balancing of a ship depends on the environment it is placed in. Sure, one Erinyes is unbalanced when pitted against a lone Loki. But is it a fair comparison? Pit that same Erinyes against two, three, even four Lokis, and things are getting stacked in the other way. Or have it opposite an Ares, which would possibly be better matched.

An excellent example of this is the Colossus. It is armed with several LRBGreens - these things will pulverise any destroyer class without even breaking a sweat, so you could argue that they are unbalanced. But against the Sathanas, the mighty LRBGreens are in fact very weak (when compared to the BFReds).

Make note of this: for uber-ships like the Chimera (both of them, if the Shivan one becomes like the one in the Machina Terra campaign), maybe you could consider putting them in missions a different way. Instead of having four of them to a wing, make them fly in pairs. There you go, balance.

That's my say. What's yours?  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
I believe you're right.

Except the Colossus didn't always have LRBGreens  

A ship, however powerful, is as balanced as it's opposition. If you put a Sathanas against an Orion, that's unbalanced. But if you put the Sathanas against ten Orions, that's much more balanced.

Balance is the mission maker's decision.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I agree. Balance does not mean making all of the weights the same mass.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
This rant sounds familiar, somehow.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Shrike:
This rant sounds familiar, somehow.    

Well, it is a quote...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.