Author Topic: Beta Release, refinery - need some help.  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Beta Release, refinery - need some help.
OK, there's a bit fo a story to this one, so I'll try to be brief. I made this model a couple of years back for a TI mission I was building. I got it ingame (in a basic fashion) and did the mission. All well and good. Then a few months ago, the BP team asked me if they could use it for WiH 2. I was initially unwilling, since TI models rarely get released, just as a matter of course, and particularly not to just one project. I realized that there were a couple of problems with the model that I really couldn't fix. Specifically, these are:

- No LoDs, debris, shine map or normals
 - Missing poly on the bottom
 - Maybe something else, I can't remember (Oh, yeah, some of the pylons on the bottom are a little warped from hemispherical at their tips).

Now, of course, some of this I could have fixed myself, but VA had done some conversion-fu on it when he did some greebling on it (complaining that it didn't look structuraly acceptable in its pre-greebled state :)), and had split it up into sub-objects for detail boxing (fot the record, he also helped with UVing some of the trickier bits, and provided lots of general help - he's awesome). Now, be aware that my ability to convert ships ingame is... questionable. I yell and scream and argue with truespace (I know, there are other ways now, but TS and trueview is the only one I even kinda-sorta-vaguely know how to use, despite the program's legendary crappiness), and I doubt I'd be capable of keeping the split - hell, for that matter, I wasn't certain I'd be able to reconvert it at all if I took it out of pof.

So, the net result of all this was that I sent it o the BP people, on the proviso that it would get fixed up and publically released prior to the release of WiH2. But, events with me recently have meant that there's a fair chance I'm going to be away a lot over the next few months, for potentially long periods of time, and I didn;t want to miss the PM or whatever with the fixes, and potentially delay releasing it. Plus, I figured the more people who get to play with it, and potentially finish it, the better.

So, without further ado:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wszxpfwcspa293p
Picture - http://www.sectorgame.com/forums/userpix/24_refinery004_1.jpg

So yeah, a summary
This is not finished. It needs at least a fixed poly, tweaked lower pylons for hemisphericity, and some debris. Lods, shine and normal maps would be awesome too.

Anyone who finishes it (including the BP people, who may have already) is strongly requested to post those fixes. Keeping them to yourself would be the height of not-cool. And I'd get stroppy at you. Anyway, eventually I'll add debris and fix the missing poly, for TI's release, if nobody else does before then.

[EDIT]I should point out that this will work ingame in it's current form, it has dockpoints and some other stuff. But it's not 100%. So if people want to use it, the current model will work as a placeholder until it gets finished.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:09:49 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Beta Release, refinery - need some help.
It's ingame in BP but I suspect not finished. Anyone who beats us to it, huzzah, post it up.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Oh i remember this model! There's a screenshot of it on the old TI website and i was always really impressed by it. I actually might have a use for it in a project, so thank you very much for releasing it to the public. :)

And btw, i'm glad to hear TI is still being made; the website hadn't been updated in a long time and i was scared it had died. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action; the screenshots of the ships and graphics look amazing! :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Topgun

So anybody can use it now, provided they fix it and release it?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oh i remember this model! There's a screenshot of it on the old TI website and i was always really impressed by it. I actually might have a use for it in a project, so thank you very much for releasing it to the public. :)

And btw, i'm glad to hear TI is still being made; the website hadn't been updated in a long time and i was scared it had died. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action; the screenshots of the ships and graphics look amazing! :yes:

It's in hibernation at the moment, we sort of all drifted off to do other things, I know we'd all like to get back into it at some point, but with BW's new job, VA's work with the Freespace Upgrade and my....whatever I'm doing... it may be a while before we pick things up, and we'd probably have to start again from scratch with some of the stuff.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
So anybody can use it now, provided they fix it and release it?

Yes, essentially.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Anyone do any more work on this bad boy?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's been in a BP mission for a while but I don't know if it's done.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You most make update!

:nervous:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Eventually, I will. I was hoping someone else might stup up, but that's looking unlikely. So I'll do it myself, eventually. Act 1 of TI isn't as far off as it might be (although I may regret sayng that if I can;t get the FREDding done before I head off for my big overseas trip), it'll be fixed for that. Until then, it'll remain debrisless and such as I have other priorities atm, sadly.
Rarely Updated P3D.