Author Topic: Mods For SMF Worth Looking At  (Read 2721 times)

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
Mods For SMF Worth Looking At
It's great that you guys switched over to SMF.  I used to run a successful site myself, but closed it down because I no longer had the time to manage it.  Did the whole site myself too :D

Anyway, here's a few mods worth looking at:-

-Global Headers and Footers (Gives you special space to type things above and below the main body of the site)
-SMF Arcade (Simple gaming...can run games from other forum types in SMF as well...even tracks highscore; go to the actual website to download the latest version)
-Spoiler Tag (Hide spoilers with a click, mouseover, etc. depending on server setting; use version emulation for RC3 or follow THIS )
-The Rules (Adds a Rules button next to Home Help Search Profile...etc)
-Youtube BBCode (kinda like the url button, but to embed youtube videos; AEVA mod supports waaay more but I say is unnecessary)
-A mod that makes a user's profile look Facebook-ish, but have nothing to do with Facebook (forgot the mod name)

There is also a Chess mod, but it's been outdated too long and arguments are going over copyright that I don't think we'll ever see that get implemented :(

Finally, there's a shoutbox mod called Nneonneo's Shoutbox, which pretty much runs on the forum.  This mod I've personally updated to run on 2.0 Beta 4 non RC because it requires tweaking here and there to get it to run properly.

And there you have it.  See if these mods are any good to you.  And if the site's webmaster needs any help with SMF, email me using my MSN info :)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Mods For SMF Worth Looking At
Anything but a shoutbox.   :shaking:

Yeah.  We have IRC for random off-topic chat.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Shoutboxes are bad and taken over by Gary or someone else intent on dragging the level of discourse down to that of a flailing five-year-old.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Youtube tags are a must though. I've been wanting them on this site for a while actually.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I much prefer the lack of youtube tags... so clean.. so nice...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Why the **** was this posted in Announcements and more importantly, how? I guess someone has broken the Announcements permissions.
* Fury looks at Goober

It's great that you guys switched over to SMF.
We did that like many years ago.

-Global Headers and Footers (Gives you special space to type things above and below the main body of the site)
Meh.

-SMF Arcade (Simple gaming...can run games from other forum types in SMF as well...even tracks highscore; go to the actual website to download the latest version)
The internet is full of flash games, go play those.

-Spoiler Tag (Hide spoilers with a click, mouseover, etc. depending on server setting; use version emulation for RC3 or follow THIS )
Umm? We do use a spoiler tag.

-The Rules (Adds a Rules button next to Home Help Search Profile...etc)
Rules are better off in mainpage, whenever the new one gets finished. Probably still gonna take a few more years.

-Youtube BBCode (kinda like the url button, but to embed youtube videos; AEVA mod supports waaay more but I say is unnecessary)
Yuck.

-A mod that makes a user's profile look Facebook-ish, but have nothing to do with Facebook (forgot the mod name)
:wtf: No.

There is also a Chess mod, but it's been outdated too long and arguments are going over copyright that I don't think we'll ever see that get implemented :(
See earlier reply to arcade games.

Finally, there's a shoutbox mod called Nneonneo's Shoutbox, which pretty much runs on the forum.  This mod I've personally updated to run on 2.0 Beta 4 non RC because it requires tweaking here and there to get it to run properly.
No. IRC does that much better and you can use Mibbit to use your favorite browser to connect.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I think he's referring to a mod which gives you a button to unspoiler all spoilers on a page with one click. That would be quite nice actually.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!

I think he's referring to a mod which gives you a button to unspoiler all spoilers on a page with one click. That would be quite nice actually.

Yeah, that's what it does.

The shoutbox is basically a way to chat without having to resort to external programs.  There is no separate login.  Otherwise, nothing special.  Since you have something else, you don't need this.

Hmm, maybe you guys were using SMF 1 before?  Or was this simply a theme change?  Either way, things look soo much better.

Even though the chess mod hasn't been updated in a long time, ppl still argue on the SMF forums about updating that mod...so you can imagine it's popularity.  And for a mod that's NOT flash based.  But like I said, copyright issues...prolly never gonna be updated.

You can keep the rules where they are currently...it's just an extra button that's visible on the bar so ppl have no excuses that they didn't read the rules....or for those lazy ppl  :rolleyes:

And finally, the Global Headers and Footers (moreso the headers) really help to announce something huge, because it's always right there above the body of the forum staring you in your face...there's NO ESCAPE! :D

Yeah, just thought I'd give you the names of some mods that served my site well.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM