Author Topic: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.2 Now Available)  (Read 32391 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Modular Construction Kit (Second Release)
Solatar, it seems like you are using additional pieces than the ones in the pack.. care to share?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Solatar

I'm actually not, just good/lucky texture replace.  The round thing at the end of the tram track is the red gas container, texture replaced to use pform1 (texture from the cargo platform). It just happens that if you turn it sideways it looks like windows. :D

Other than that, it's BW's refinery, with the 6 sided dock thing from the pack docked to the refinery.  One of BW's "cover" things is docked to it to make it look more like a blastdoor to the tarmac.  The big cargo platforms aren't actually docked to anything, they're just placed and the "tram" track runs through.  The skybox is an older one from the forums, I'll dig it up if you'd like it.

I have no modeling skill, I'm just playing with new toys as they come out.  :nod:

EDIT: Also pure coincidence that the Hermes rail looking things fit almost perfectly with the grid.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:49:44 pm by Solatar »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Solatar - Love it! :D You're much more creative with this stuff than I am - Makes me wish I's left those tabs off the platform though, I think I'll remove them for the next release. BTW, that texture for the gas tank is really easy to edit (deliberately so). I don't know if this is just something you threw together or something you want to use later, but it might be worth looking into to get rid of that black space on your side on windows there.

Mjn - He's using this and some TVWP stuff I think.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wonder how well turret modules would work
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Girder tubes, as requested a few times.

There are three pieces, the 90 degree bend, a 44m long tube (this will replace the exisitng umbilical tube) and a 10m long tube. These fit inside the 5 cell and single cell girders, the rest can be made from those pieces. They're a bit of a prick to work with, but I'm slowly ironing out the bugs, where possible. At the moment, only T junctions are possible, bt I hae a plan that should allow for anything up to 5 way (orthorhombic) junctions - six way you can jsut have things pass straight through each other.

Tip though - you absolutely need jettison-cargo for these to work. Otherwise they cause explosions. Daisy chain docking needs to be checked as well, but that should be standard for all missions using this gear.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Rarely Updated P3D.

Hm, that tube junction looks more like a Y than a T. It could be the lighting, or the viewing angle, but it looks as if you can't just go from one of the short parts to the other.
Otherwise, very nice work on all of this :yes:

* perihelion applauds
This is very cool.   :yes:
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline ION3

I suggest to add bigger and smaller parts. (not just different lengths)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This is perhaps the most practical and useful mod ever released by the community. Well done, sir!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Solatar, could you release your mission with just the airport you made?
It'd make a great template for making missions using it.

Offline Topgun

this is amazing! Does it allow for destructible components?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:28:06 pm by Topgun »

Offline Solatar

Solatar, could you release your mission with just the airport you made?
It'd make a great template for making missions using it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11522509/airport.7z

A few notes, since it was just me screwing around:

1) Not everything is docked, some of the components are just placed. 
2) Messy or non-existent jettison cargo sexps (I was kind of hoping by the time I'd actually use it, if I did, a "never move" check box might be added)
3) I've got fsport as my mod (actually, I have a separate Descent Freespace folder to keep my Freespace 2 folder less cluttered).  I went and replaced the fighters with Ulysses, and gave everything I could Prometheus Rs and Hornets (just for compatability).
4) skybox included, it's not mine.
5) Uses BWs Refinery.
6) Hermes/Tram doesn't move yet.  I don't think waypoints will do it, since turning around in 3D isn't something ships on a tram track do, so I need to play around with move-object sexps to make it go back and forth.
EDIT: 7) I just had a thought that not everything is named correctly.  I THINK I've named the big cargo dock TCD-01 instead of whatever it came with, but everything else should have the default names.  If you just can't get something to work (like I said; just a dump of what was in my mission folder), let me know.

As such, I guarantee nothing if you start shooting at stuff, but here's a copy of my WIP lego model. :p
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:23:55 pm by Solatar »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hm, that tube junction looks more like a Y than a T. It could be the lighting, or the viewing angle, but it looks as if you can't just go from one of the short parts to the other.
Otherwise, very nice work on all of this :yes:

Yeah, it's more like a Y. I'm committed to doing this in as flexible a way as possible with as few pieces as possible, which means that a separate T piece wont be added if 2 90 degree joiners will do the same job.I do have an idea regarding T junctions though, I might yet be able to do them with existing pieces without the Y look, lemme experiment.

I suggest to add bigger and smaller parts. (not just different lengths)

Problem there is that everything, at this point, is standardized around the single cell and 5 cell girders (except the umbilical dock, but that's already fixed on my end and will be fixed in the next version for you guys). Everything is 10x10 wide. Changing that would mean duplicating every piece in, say, 2x or 5x scale. I can think of uses (like appplying this stuff to destroyers rather than cruisers and corvettes), but I'm not really keen to include it as part of the basic pack, as it'd double the size. Resizing in PCS is now a fairly trivial matter though, so if someone needs big pieces for a mod, they'll be easy to make.

this is amazing! Does it allow for destructible components?

Not really - only the TGas 1 and the cargo plaform have debris at this point - I might change that, but I really don't think a girder should be blow uppable... it just doesn't make sense... what's blowing up? There's no reactor or fuel or anything. But blowing up something near them does cause some pretty spectacular results (Same image as before BTW).
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Suddenly I had the idea of hitting the cubes with modded Morning Stars with high mass to make Cube Soccer.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I remember terrible reskins of mine to make something like this...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline -Sara-

Looks great!

Idea: animated tugs which swing around a drydock slowly on a rotating axis.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Just tested this. Working with this pack is HIGHLY addictive. It's the best puzzle in the world :D
Request: Companion cube piece :lol:
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Looks great!

Idea: animated tugs which swing around a drydock slowly on a rotating axis.

What, like rotating subsystems? Or new ship models?

Anyway, quick update, the 23 cell girder is ingame, making it much easier to do things at corvette scale. And I know that the tubing doesn't go anywhere inside the girders there, just for show at this point.

[EDIT]Now have three and 4 way intersections working on the umbilicals, with no extra pieces, so I'm happy with the system. Just need to remap the docking pad to get rid of the reliance on the cargo platform texture and I'll be able to put version 1.1 up.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:19:52 pm by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
**Is reminded of giant space tinker toys**
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
BTW BlackWolf, you might visit SolCommand's blog for ideas too...
http://solcommand.blogspot.com/

He's always putting out some nice looking stuff.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod