Author Topic: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.2 Now Available)  (Read 32238 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.1 Now Available)
I have a strange feeling that with power suits and robots working in vacuum won't be nearly as hard as it is today.

Compare a car without power steering to one with power steering. You could rotate the wheel with 1 finger on a stationary vehicle with PS, and without you need at least 1 whole hand to do anything.

The same will apply to power space suits vs regular space suits.

Probably off topic, but there's prototype exoskeletons that work today and allow a worker to lift a weight 20 times their usual limit.

Judging by the protype exo's, I'd say that there's no way to get a good lightweight power supply for them. As such, I'd think the girders would be needed so that the workers can tether themselves for not only a safety measure, but also a source of power for the exo's.

Granted, since it will be in the future there may be a backup battery that will last for a couple of hours for safety reasons...
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Basing tomorrow's batteries (or whatever would be used) based on today's is silly, as our batteries just flat out suck. We can most likely produce good batteries 300~ years into the future.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I have a strange feeling that with power suits and robots working in vacuum won't be nearly as hard as it is today.

Compare a car without power steering to one with power steering. You could rotate the wheel with 1 finger on a stationary vehicle with PS, and without you need at least 1 whole hand to do anything.

Probably off topic, but there's prototype exoskeletons that work today and allow a worker to lift a weight 20 times their usual limit.

Judging by the protype exo's, I'd say that there's no way to get a good lightweight power supply for them. As such, I'd think the girders would be needed so that the workers can tether themselves for not only a safety measure, but also a source of power for the exo's.

Granted, since it will be in the future there may be a backup battery that will last for a couple of hours for safety reasons...

robots would be used extensively. some would be mostly autonomous and would do things like fetch materials, inspection, or possibly welding (robots can weld already, but usually under extremely controlled assembly line conditions). other robots could be operated by telepresence, with a human operator in the ship or in a habitable section of the dock, for tasks that require too much skill for a robot. and of course you would still have people in space suits, but would only be called upon when absolutely required.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam

robots would be used extensively. some would be mostly autonomous and would do things like fetch materials, inspection, or possibly welding (robots can weld already, but usually under extremely controlled assembly line conditions). other robots could be operated by telepresence, with a human operator in the ship or in a habitable section of the dock, for tasks that require too much skill for a robot. and of course you would still have people in space suits, but would only be called upon when absolutely required.

Ah, yes, but humans can be so much less costly than a robot in certain situations.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Ah, yes, but humans can be so much less costly than a robot in certain situations.

i dont know about that, id figure a decent space suit would cost about the same as a robot.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.

i dont know about that, id figure a decent space suit would cost about the same as a robot.

I don't know about that either, but I'd figure that, if space suits were mass-produced, they'd pretty cheap.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

I don't know about that either, but I'd figure that, if space suits were mass-produced, they'd pretty cheap.

same can be said for robots

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Hey Black Wolf, I'm considering making some installation components that would be compatible with your construction kit, I was wondering what the standards would be?

I'm looking for size standards (1 "cell" = 10m cube?), and docking standards (distance between the dockpoint dummies, naming conventions).

Do you think it would be OK to have more than one dockpoint at the same spot? I'm thinking of making a few pieces that can be docked at different angles by simply choosing which dockpoint to attach to, but I don't know if this is allowed by the game engine.
chief1983

------------

Has there been any progress lately in making more custom modular stuff? I've been having a lot of fun building with these the past months and I'd love to see more modules, station parts, and the whole assortment of things that I can't even think of right now ^^.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Has there been any progress lately in making more custom modular stuff? I've been having a lot of fun building with these the past months and I'd love to see more modules, station parts, and the whole assortment of things that I can't even think of right now ^^.

There's plans for the FringeSpace installations to built entirely out of modular stuff, but I can't say when we'll be able to release them...
chief1983

------------

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Yeah that doesn't really help FS2 folks much...
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah that doesn't really help FS2 folks much...

Well there's some parts that may of be some use. A dish is a dish...
chief1983

------------

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
OK, lemme give a bit of an update here. New stuff has been made. At releasable level I have a turret and a rotating sensor dish. I also have a bunch of cables which need to be tweaked (slightly rescaled, and split into submodels), but are near releasable. The only issue keeping them from release is that the UV space isn't being utilized to its full potential - I want to make a few more pieces prior to releasing this lot, but I've struggled for ideas. I have a sort of array of panels modelled and about half UVed, which should use up some of the remaining space.

As far as modular installations go, I'm yet to get past the initial snag of making it just modular enough, i.e. How do you design something that can be put together out of components that are small enough to produce a diverse range of station designs, but large enough to prevent people from losing sanity putting it together (or, more significantly, running into the inherent engine problems of having too many objects in mission and docking too many together)? I have started the process, but it's s tad difficult getting both inspiration and time (especially to UV and texture). One of my failed attempts turned into that station I posted on modding last week.

Z - I've always based everything around the single girder cell (10 x 10, as you say) and the 5 cel (44m long). The girder lengths are (# cells x 9)-1, but if you want to dock in a perpendicular orientation, you need to add 10m to the dockpoint separation distance to allow for a unit cell on either end. Almost everything fits together neatly, except for the black cross cube, which I made in a hurry, and so is scaled badly.

As for dockpoints on top of each other at different angles, this does work - the system is in place for the 90 degree bends on the pipes.

If you have some ideas, I'd appreciate any new pieces. If people are really keen, then once I get back from work (a couple of days from now) I can upload my WiPs, as long as there's an underdstanding that they are just that, and might be tweaked before being finalized.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You need to rescale the cables because they're too thick amrite?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Well I mean Tachyon is the land of piecemeal stuff.. there's not a cap ship or structure that isn't made out of parts
used elseware or duplicated.  If you want a longer look into Tach let me know.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This goes nicely with the pack... Though I expect it might need a few tweaks to really make it work, BW. Feel free.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Droid - Well, actually the ring around the cables, but the end result will be thinner cables, yes. :p

Mjn - It most certainly does go well, but any tweaks that may be needed are well beyond my poffing capabilities I'm afraid. I can't even get the DAE exporter to work - I still have to use truespace. :(
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I've always based everything around the single girder cell (10 x 10, as you say) and the 5 cel (44m long). The girder lengths are (# cells x 9)-1, but if you want to dock in a perpendicular orientation, you need to add 10m to the dockpoint separation distance to allow for a unit cell on either end. Almost everything fits together neatly, except for the black cross cube, which I made in a hurry, and so is scaled badly.

As for dockpoints on top of each other at different angles, this does work - the system is in place for the 90 degree bends on the pipes.

Thanks Wolf, I'll make of note of it somewhere and will hopefully get started on the Tach stuff "soon."

If you have some ideas, I'd appreciate any new pieces. If people are really keen, then once I get back from work (a couple of days from now) I can upload my WiPs, as long as there's an understanding that they are just that, and might be tweaked before being finalized.

A few ideas came to mind:
Modular oxygen plant unit
Nuke/Crystal/etc. power plant unit
Garbage compactor/disposal unit
Gardening unit
observatory unit
communicaitons/command unit
repair unit (complete with "Workin' at the Car Wash" song)
Safety/navigation lights unit
generic processing plant unit

Hope those suggestions help everyone?
chief1983

------------

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
Keep up the good work! I was actually using some of your modular models yesterday. :)
Burning Heaven

I want to add the need for Crew Modules, bar-like modules, and other things to be able to really create a civilian station that feels like a place people would live in for long periods of time.

Looking forward to see any new additions though.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell