Author Topic: Wings of Dawn Multiplayer?  (Read 7090 times)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Re: Wings of Dawn Multiplayer?
I took the liberty of making a TvT mission NWTR style for WoD multiplayer. You can select every single playable ship/weapon except for the Prometheus frame* (See below).

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ddxoekta12kj45 place this file (.fs2) in Wings Of Dawn/data/missions
Login with a multiplayer configured pilot and setup a game on IRC. (See multiplayer thread if you don't know how to do this.)

Me, Shade, and Archaic gave it a test...

*Unfortunately, when we tried out the Prometheus frame, the game crashed the instant the beams were fired. Thus shattering my dreams of a prometheus frame 3v1 'juggernaut' style game.

The ships/weapons open many new interesting options, but it might not be exactly balanced for multi. Use this mission to experiment with WoD multiplayer and get a sense of how it might shape into a multiplayer mod.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/wod-multi/trunk

Okay, so here's the svn link for the WoD multiplayer project. It's a bit of a WIP, and the balance is very questionable still. Comes with 5 Dogfight missions and one TvT mission.

Now, the next thing is to get ourselves huddled together to we can do some live fire testing. So, I'm setting a date to be on this Saturday at 8:00 PM GMT. How many of you bozos can show up? Though, it may be wise to show up to our little known IRC channel known as #WoD (Which is also one Espernet with #hard-light) around 1 or 2 hours prior to the event if possible  just so I have a head count...and I know if someone is here who isn't behind a NAT router. In the meantime, I may try to squeeze some impromptu games sometime inbetween.

Also, I hate you bigchunk. Leaving me out of the loop of your works. <_<

Whatever, I will add your mission to the list after I swap out the stuff for the PvP balanced ones in the loadout...and it's done.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:18:59 pm by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
...Also, I hate you bigchunk. Leaving me out of the loop of your works. <_<

Spontaneity is a daemon very few of us can control.

The helm is yours good sir, I just flicked some hot coals into the boiler.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Shade

*Unfortunately, when we tried out the Prometheus frame, the game crashed the instant the beams were fired. Thus shattering my dreams of a prometheus frame 3v1 'juggernaut' style game.

The prometheus frame ought to be able to work, though. TBP has used ships with player beams in multi for a long time, and the BP multi project has shown that beam turrets also work well enough. So whatever's crashing it, it's probably fixable. Guess it comes down to running a debug build and getting some logs to see what exactly is going on.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Shade

Bit of video from early in the testing this evening: Youtube
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²

BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Completely unbalanced (but that's no suprise since I never had any multi ambitions with WoD) but quite fun regardless  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Shade

Balance issues are in part due to there being no limitation on available ships (or, for that matter, loadout) in the current missions. Which is fine for testing purposes, but once this gets to a more final state, missions should be built around sets of ships which more-or-less match up with each other.

For example, in retail FS2 multi there are several sets of dogfight missions, split into light, medium and heavy fighters. Plus a few which allow everything for when people just want some mindless wacky fun rather than a balanced battle. Team vs Team is a bit more tricky since you want to leave the door open for teams to make tactical decisions like keeping two people in light and agile fighters to harrass the enemy close up while two people in heavies gun them down from slightly longer range, but even here some kind of culling of the available fighters would do a lot to reduce balance problems. Even just getting rid of the top-2 super agile and top-2 ultra overpowered ships would go a long way towards making TvTs a more balanced experience, while keeping enough variation to allow for tactical play.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:44:22 pm by Shade »

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
So, yesterday's scheduled multiplayer match didn't happen, mainly in part because of my failure to make it obvious to everyone here. So, let's try it again:

There will be another scheduled multiplayer match for Wings of Dawn mutliplayer on Thursday, February 3rd at 8 PM GMT and Saturday February 5th at 8 PM GMT.

Please attend either of them or both.  Though, it may be wise to show up to our little known IRC channel known as #WoD (Which is also one Espernet with #hard-light) around 1 or 2 hours prior to the event if possible  just so I have a head count...and I know if someone is here who isn't behind a NAT router. In the meantime, I may try to squeeze some impromptu games sometime inbetween.

I would also like if someone could FRED more missions (esp. Coop) instead of just leaving me here to do all the FRED work. =(
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.

Offline Shade

I'll try to help with the testing, but already FREDding for two projects and I really can't fit in the time for a 3rd. Or a 4th (since I'm also helping with BP multi testing when I can).

However, to save time on coop missions, you could look into taking some of the most difficult single player WoD missions and converting them to 4-8 player coops: For a quick and dirty conversion, just increase enemy AI classes by one level (where possible), increase wing threshold by one for some or all hostile wings with several waves, and up the wave count by a couple for some or all of the hostile wings. Then turn any originally AI-controlled friendly fighters into player fighters (up to a maximum of eight - twelve players requires more drastic measures), and you have a coop. It'll still need some fine tuning to balance properly, but it should be in the ballpark.

Alternatively, do some gauntlet missions. Those are simple enough in concept that you can get the framework for even a BIG one done in a day, and provide for good, mindless coop fun.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
Okay, I'm done. This is over. This is just a giant generator of stress for me. My (lack of) actions has just lead this project down the wrong path to destruction and as whole makes Wings of Dawn look bad. I, for one, am ashamed at my lack of action and any action I took was counterproductive towards the goal of this project. For those who were willing to help me, thank you, but I feel I'm better as a worker rather than a manager. If someone else wants to take up this project, I'll be more than happy to give you administrator rights to the svn and work under you, but until someone does, I shall officially declare this project dead.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
 :blah:

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
What brought on that declaration?
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
'cause he couldn't get anyone to test with him
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================