Author Topic: FreeSpace Nodemap remake  (Read 10138 times)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
FreeSpace Nodemap remake
This has most likely been done before, but anyway, here's a remade FS nodemap ( 1680x1050 ) :

Based on the original official nodemap ( 640x480 ) :

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FreeSpace Nodemap remake
125% better. Nice.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Um, I'm not sure that that was an original, canon nodemap, as I don't recall any point in FS2 when those systems and those systems only were considered hostile or cut off.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Um, I'm not sure that that was an original, canon nodemap, as I don't recall any point in FS2 when those systems and those systems only were considered hostile or cut off.
It's original and canon insofar as it was found in the downloads section of :v:'s website. :P

wow, that looks nice! Good job!!!

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's original and canon as of FS1.  Note that Gamma Drac and the nebula beyond aren't listed.

Good job on the map, hi-res is always better!
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Can you space the systems out a bit more.  It's rather crowded around Vasuda.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It's original and canon insofar as it was found in the downloads section of :v:'s website. :P
I wonder if there is an alternate storyline for FS2 behind this map.  Perhaps the NTF was originally to be occupying these systems at the start of the game, instead of Polaris, Regulus, and Sirius.
It's original and canon as of FS1.  Note that Gamma Drac and the nebula beyond aren't listed.
Unfortunately, the FS1 maps had the secondary nodes out of Sol.  This one only lists the node to Delta Serpentis, so its more like the FS2 nodemap.  Also, if this was to be FS1 showing Shivan controlled systems, I think that R128, Betelgeuse among others, would show up as hostile as well.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Quite right too trivial
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wonder if there is an alternate storyline for FS2 behind this map.  Perhaps the NTF was originally to be occupying these systems at the start of the game, instead of Polaris, Regulus, and Sirius.
It think it probably shows an early or placeholder version of the FS1 storyline.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
ShadowGorrath, I see you've made the same mistake as many before you.  Luyten 726-BA should be Luyten 726-8A. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Seriously? I've been wrong all these years? :(
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
ShadowGorrath, I see you've made the same mistake as many before you.  Luyten 726-BA should be Luyten 726-8A. :p

Damn. Seriously, it's impossible to see what name of that system is on the original map.

...should probably fix it.  :nervous:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
...should probably fix it.  :nervous:

Minor nit pick but if you do redo the map i would suggest moving the Barnard's star - Dubhe node line so it doesn't cut through Alphard, perhaps go from just below the E in Dubhe to the left side of the icon for Barnard's.  I know you have it the same way as the canon map is but it would make it easier to read at a quick glance

all in all yours is a massive improvement though
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:01:48 am by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Seriously? I've been wrong all these years? :(

Ya.  In fact, if you want to get pedantic, the map should just say Luyten 726-8, which refers to the star system as opposed to its primary star.  Volition changed this for Procyon in the FS2 cbanis but not for Luyten.  It's a little odd to say the node just goes to star A of a binary star system when the stars are only a few AU apart.