Author Topic: Extreme Forum Lags, am I the only one ?  (Read 6846 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Extreme Forum Lags, am I the only one ?
Here are pings and tracert. Tracerts shows an reproducable error. Sorry, it's german OS; but I guess it's readable for you too :)

http://omnitech.hard-light.net/team/starman/pics/ping1.jpg
http://omnitech.hard-light.net/team/starman/pics/ping2.jpg
http://omnitech.hard-light.net/team/starman/pics/ping3.jpg
http://omnitech.hard-light.net/team/starman/pics/tracert.jpg

And this one just happend while posting this the first time (took 22 seconds)

http://omnitech.hard-light.net/team/starman/downloads/index2.htm

edit :

Sorry, I don't really know how to use pagespeed. I made a page analysis, but there was no lag while doing so. But before and after I had lags.

Here is the file :

http://omnitech.hard-light.net/team/starman/downloads/pagespeed_results.json
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:54:15 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Whatever the slowdown is, it is not revealed by YSlow. Can you please try the google tool next. I've also edited contents of the code field in my previous post.

For reference, my ping statistics are as follows.

pagead2.googlesyndication.com
Code: [Select]
    Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 56ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 56ms

cdn.jquerytools.org
    Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 45ms, Average = 44ms

ajax.cloudflare.com
    Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 56ms, Average = 54ms

direct.hard-light.net
    Minimum = 144ms, Maximum = 151ms, Average = 145ms

There's also one more external domain being called, api.viglink.com. It cannot be pinged but it is also one of the CF features that were disabled earlier, so it is not the culprit anyway.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Huh, looks like I didn't notice there was already a second page. :p Anyhow, everything seems just fine. Frankly, I have no clue what is happening there. Though it made me realize server's mod_expires settings sucked, so I've tweaked those.

I'm at a loss here now. I would've imagined there would have been dropped packets, very high response times in YSlow or something, just something to give a clue. But there's nothing as far as I can see.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
What's that error with "tracert", anything special ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Nope. It just means that network devices or servers after scnet.net don't reply to pings or lookups. Either such packets are prioritized to very low and they're busy serving real packets, or more likely, they're just blocked. Same happens to me as well, so that's a non-issue since http packets are routed as usual.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
This really sucks. I'm not saying you did something wrong, because only me or a minority is effected, but it started that day when you said you changed something on the DNS side (or whatever you did when I had to change my FTP Adress).  I just needed 3 tries to even open up the forum main site, I received "server not responding" after a minute of waiting.

I will now try, to disable my add block, the adware scanner and even switch to IE.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If others were having same problems, I'm pretty sure there'd be posts from them by now.

Also, can you try if you can replicate the issue by browsing the FSWiki and Game Warden forums?
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://game-warden.com/forum/index.php

Because if this is happening because of CF, then the results you get should be that you get similar issues while browsing the FSWiki, but not when browsing the GW forums.

Is it possible for you to try if this happens at school/work/friend's place/whenever else you can use a computer?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Uh, didn't thought about that to be honest :) I will try on my laptop too, it has W7 (it's brandnew, but I use it seldom).

I will try, also the other stuff
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Sololop

Well, as of today, I've been having really slow browsing here, and a few "Page cannot be found" "The connection has timed out" and "The server is taking too long to respond" errors. Hmm.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:44:11 pm by Sololop »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It'd be helpful to know
1) Does this happen on all sites served on hard-light.net, or are there any exceptions such as hosted project sites.
2) Does this happen on game-warden.com.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Sorry for not responding earlier, but I'm currently pretty frustrated about this. The HLP forum is nearly unussable for me (sure it works, but I loose patient very quickly, and ever fifth query to the server results into at least 30 seconds waiting time and randomly "server not responding".

it's strange, there are hours it works well, and hours, where the errors are very often  :banghead:

Gamewarden and Wiki seem to work though. I will check immediately next time again when HLP lags

(edit1) The same time HLP lags, Gamewarden works fine.

(edit2) The same time HLP lags, the wiki lags too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:39:19 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Whatever, I've reverted back from using the CF DNS proxy. Should be propagated to you within 24 hours. That'll mean we get again more traffic from spammers and **** though.

Offline Sololop

Well, any and all issues I had yesterday are nonexistent today. May have been an isolated incident.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Whatever, I've reverted back from using the CF DNS proxy. Should be propagated to you within 24 hours. That'll mean we get again more traffic from spammers and **** though.

Well, if I'm really the only person who has this problem ( I still can't imagine that) , then it not really a good solution, isn't it ? In fact, then just I should receive the asshole-card, not the entire forum  :sigh:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, any and all issues I had yesterday are nonexistent today. May have been an isolated incident.
Fairly certain it was because otherwise you'd have been here complaining since day one.

Well, if I'm really the only person who has this problem ( I still can't imagine that) , then it not really a good solution, isn't it ? In fact, then just I should receive the asshole-card, not the entire forum  :sigh:
No, it's not a good solution but it's the only one I have.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, I can't say I wouldn't appreciate that decision, but I don't want to have the problem solved for me, when the rest of you suffers. So, let me say, if there are occuring problems to the board again due to spammers or other attacks, then don't hesitate change it back please. I will then have to look for a different solution on my side, since it's seems to be my problem then, not yours.....   :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I was actually experiencing the same issues that Sololop was yesterday, to the point where I thought the site might be down completely for everyone.  They seemed to be resolved by last night, though.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yep, I got it yesterday too.
Then again, I think some internet relay server died last night or something as eBay was lagging, as was hotmail, but a number of other sites were fine and dandy.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay, I just got hit with some massive server timeouts last night lasting several hours.  (Never fun when you have several threads open at once.)  In fact, things got so bad that I started getting my ISP's generic "This site is unavailable or does not exist" page.  I happened to check Game Warden at the same time, and it was experiencing similar issues.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, since Fury changed back yesterday what he did a few days ago, all is working fine for me again, not a single lag, not to mention no 404
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH