Author Topic: StarCraft 1 Terran campaign has been ported to StarCraft 2  (Read 7625 times)

StarCraft 1 Terran campaign has been ported to StarCraft 2
I seem to recall some decent SC II related discussion way back when I was lurking, and figured some of you might want to know about this.

http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/sc1-episode-1-rebel-yell/

I haven't played it yet, as I dont have SCII on this comp, but from what I've heard its a reasonably faithful recreation with a ton of custom content. They also added the original Music and Voice tracks, which sold it for me.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: StarCraft 1 Terran campaign has been ported to StarCraft 2
i figured something like this would come along, downloading.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Oh cool, I will certainly give this a try. I can't wait for any more zerg stuff, no matter if they port the old, or the new finally arrives. :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i went through it, could have been better. the annoying part is you have to close starcraft to play the next mission. i find it hard to believe that sc2 doesnt have a means to play single player campaign maps and mods through the interface.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
It hasn't ? I wanted so search for some player made campaigns in the near future. Since so many zerg stuff is in the editor, I was hoping for some player made campaigns
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
the annoying part is you have to close starcraft to play the next mission.

Quote from: Rebel Yell Readme
Maps are now "linked", you can continue the campaign after finishing a map without having to exit the game.

This has been fixed.

EDIT : Original readme HERE
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Glad they fixed that at least. Nuke, care to elaborate on what could have been better? I'm certainly interested, but I wont be able to play for at least another month.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Awesomeness, I thought putting Starcraft II into Starcraft was retardedly pointless, but putting Starcraft into Starcraft II is a lot better sounding.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Glad they fixed that at least. Nuke, care to elaborate on what could have been better? I'm certainly interested, but I wont be able to play for at least another month.

well maps were kinda off. i noticed on space platform levels that the rusty pits were missing, and were made as the same level of the surrounding platform. i noticed this on the new gettysburg mission, a ramp for a mineral base i always take wasnt there (in fact the whole pit was missing), this changed the defensibility of the expo. there were also several changes in ai, such as ai use of nukes, which never seemed to happen (in classic sc there is a lot of nukeage from the ai in the last terran mission). also there was the thing with brood war units and the third person installation mission which made me nauseous (and seemed hackish at best) (and didnt let me invert my mouse). there was also the thing where the nuclear silo was not an addon to the command center, which required a lesser mineral investment to maintain a nuclear arsenal.

the maps themselves really didnt bother me, they played and looked much like the originals.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I was worried about the way nukes were going to work in this.  And flat removing portions of the map is kind of odd.  I'm less concerned about units, as I had already figured there was going to be problems there, though this Installation Mission you speak of has piqued my interest.

The Jacobs Installation became a third-person shooter with you as Raynor and everyone else as bots.  The camera has some issues, and you have to stop moving to fire.  Oh, and no Medics.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

That sounds.... interesting? Why the hell did they do that?

Because the SC2 Galaxy Editor allows it.  It really doesn't work that well though.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
and being primarily of the flight simmer discipline, the mouse is backwards from the way i prefer it. im always trying to pull up and end up staring at the floor (i enable invert mouse in all fps and tps games).

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's funny...I can't play any shooter-type game on a gamepad/controller without inverting the control sticks, but it would seem completely unnatural to me to do the same thing with a mouse.  I think it's because I never played Descent or FS on anything but a joystick, so I've never made that mental association.

Same here. My first experience with Crysis was on a freind's PC with inverted mouse controls, and I literally could not wrap my head around it. Meanwhile, he's complaining from the other room because my Halo 3 controls were inverted.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
pilots tend to associate movement of the controls with rotations of the aircraft about various axes (in freespace i even sometimes use my pedals for yaw and joy x for roll). fpsers tend to associate the crosshair on the screen with a mouse pointer, and thus up is natural. i still see it as rotating about an axis, even though the mouse is translational in nature. having used the mouse in some very old 3d games (elite, old versions of ms flight simulator) kind of got me used to inverting my mouse.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I must have been lucky then. All of my flight sim experiences involved joysticks.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
there were joysticks back then, just none of the 286es and 386es i used back then had joystick ports. joystick support required an add in card, for the sole purpose of joysticking. this was long before your typical computer had a sound card, so you couldn't just hijack a few adc channels on the sound card to provide joystick data. mice were usually all serial and most computers back then had at least 1 i/o board stock.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:45:25 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
The Jacobs Installation became a third-person shooter with you as Raynor and everyone else as bots.  The camera has some issues, and you have to stop moving to fire.  Oh, and no Medics.
In the original starcraft, most if all of your units couldn't attack unless they first stopped moving after getting into position. Sounds like starcraft 2 maintained this which makes sense for why the fps mod behaves as it does for shooting. Then again, the galaxy editor allowed a person to turn the game into an mmorpg. Sounds like the game would be entertaining as a first person arcadey flight sim aside from needing to stop to fire (if you can do first person as a ground unit, why not as a flying unit?).
there were joysticks back then, just none of the 286es and 386es i used back then had joystick ports. joystick support required an add in card, for the sole purpose of joysticking.
I hate the 386 from the early 90's. I grew up with a commodore 128 with lots of games for it and the gamepad for it you could plug into a sega genesis. But, the 386, my dad kept getting these computers for free en masse. My family had like 20 of them. They couldn't do anything else aside from dos, drdos (on a couple), and occasionally windows 3.11. There was a couple of games, but it really sucked compared to the commodore great giana sisters. For all the free computers my dad got for free, i think he could have purchased just one sound card at least. That would have opened up some avenues at least.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.