Poll

What campaign do you think weould be coolest?

The Great War, from a Vasudan\'s viewpoint
3 (15.8%)
The Great War, from a Shivan\'s viewpoint
1 (5.3%)
The Second Shivan War, from a Shivan\'s viewpoint
4 (21.1%)
The Second Shivan War, from a Vasudan\'s viewpoint
1 (5.3%)
The NTF War, from an NTF pilot\'s viewpoint.
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 09, 2002, 10:58:45 am

Author Topic: Campaign Ideas  (Read 3355 times)

I've been brainstorming for ideas for new campaigns; tell me what you think would be a good idea and why.

Offline Nuclear1

Though I think that the Vasudan Second Great War is a good idea, I think that the Vasudan First Great War is better.
They get more of a role in that war than the second one......
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I like Vasudans and their ships, so any of those things would be good, but one that I think would be really neat would be the NTF one; it would be especially neat to play the part where they have to evade the Colossus and get to Epsilon Pegasi near the end. A few of my standalone missions are like that. ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2002, 12:11:47 pm by 296 »

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
I like Vasudans and their ships, so any of those things would be good, but one that I think would be really neat would be the NTF one; it would be especially neat to play the part where they have to evade the Colossus and get to Epsilon Pegasi near the end.

Theres already one being made for the NTF, Neo Terra Victorious.  We're working on it right now, and I'm part of the staff :P.  What if Belisarius never had to surrender...What if the Ares and Perseus never came into existance...What if the Neo Terran Front became Victorious...
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
If you gotta make a rerun, make it NTF. At least there there's some leeway as far as what's going on, and you don't risk some cheesy Shivan explanations (everyone's explanations for the Shivans suck; that is the nature of Shivans- they are to go unexplained.)

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Originally posted by CP5670
I think would be really neat would be the NTF one; it would be especially neat to play the part where they have to evade the Colossus and get to Epsilon Pegasi near the end.

Already being done by me :) except with a bit of alternate history..
Edit: Yeah, just saw Adwight's post. We'll be hosted at HLP..uhh..soon..
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
I say do someting with the shivans so that you get to fly shivan ships but don't do something that will explain it really cornily
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Anything but Shivans works, but I voted for the NTF anyway.  It would probably be the easiest to do, because they're still humans so you can understand their way of doing things.

A Vasudan campaign would only be good if there was actually a perceptable difference in the kind of missions, objectives of missions, etc. you get because you are Vasudan.  Just flying Vasudan ships is not enough.

A Shivan campaign would be bad, period, because the Shivans are always greater in number, more powerful, etc.  If you were a Shivan, there would be no overwhelming odds stacked up against you.  It would either be a cakewalk or have a cheesy (and annoying) excuse for making the Shivans weak.  Not only that, there is a reasonable chance the Shivans are some sort of robot or hive mind, but without knowing, you can't pull it off effectively.  Even if you did know the way their mind works, it would still be very hard to represent that.
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

So far, NTF Pilot has the most votes; someone wanna help me do this as a campaign? (EDIT: The only thing I still don't have a good grasp of in FRED2 is objective scripting and some event scripting.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 07:59:06 am by 370 »

Offline Kazashi

I've always wanted to try my hand at making missions (yes missions, not maps) from the 18 month NTF campaign, even recreate the whole thing eventually. However I don't yet possess the skills required, plus there are bound to be such missions out there already, and histories which have to be taken into account. The point of my spiel? Recreating the NTF campaign would be good. :)

Either that, or a few missions from the Shivans point of view where you attack the GTVA. Would require a lot of creativity to achieve things such as briefings and communications, but would still be interesting.
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
Originally posted by NotDefault
...but without knowing, you can't pull it off effectively...

That is what the creative mind is for! :D
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline Nuclear1

One more post.............. :D

Another idea wold be to get the HW universe involved. Say, have the Kunn-Lann jump in, lost, and have it face down a Ravana or so...... you take it from there.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
Originally posted by nuclear1
One more post.............. :D

Another idea wold be to get the HW universe involved. Say, have the Kunn-Lann jump in, lost, and have it face down a Ravana or so...... you take it from there.

Now THAT takes a creative mind!
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

I voted for the 1st great war from the shivans point of view.  It would be best to do from a shivans point of view, since in the end the lucifer is destroyed, where as in the 2nd great war there wasnt a clear ending.  Plus it would give the shivans a chance to express their impresions about the terrans.

But this would be hard to do well, you would have to be careful to be quite general about the finer details of the shivans, it would be a mistake to lay down the law about how the shivans work.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I said I'd handle the Vasudan Great War, and I will... sometime. :doubt:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Originally posted by TheCelestialOne
That is what the creative mind is for! :D

If you have ideas for creating an effective Shivan campaign, be my guest :).
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
NTF IS BEING DONE!!!!

Myself, Alikchi and Adwight are currently working on the campaign Neo Terra Victorious, and have been for about 2 months or more. Pick something else.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think he meant (also what I interpreted) a campaign that follows the original story but has you fighting as a NTF pilot.