Author Topic: ANOTHER apparent reference to FreeSpace 2 in Discovery mod for Freelancer  (Read 7189 times)

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
ANOTHER apparent reference to FreeSpace 2 in Discovery mod for Freelancer
Should this be in General FreeSpace discussion? Anyway, it's here since it refers to Freelancer.

Recently I discovered that Discovery, a mod for the game Freelancer, features an unofficial player group called the Neo-Terran Front. I myself have never played Freelancer yet, and I'm ignorant of what this really means (just what is an "unofficial player group"?). Anyways...

http://www.discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php/Neo-Terran_Front#History_of_the_Front

There it is. If anyone remembers I made a previous site about the Sathanas, Nebiros, Beast, and Ravana as Trek ships (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=72950.msg1441227#msg1441227). This is another one. Funny to think that when I just randomly Google "Sathanas" or "Neo-Terran" in the net things like this appear. The following are references to FreeSpace 2:

Base of operations  NTBS Belisarius, mobile

The Neo-Terran Front exists for the purpose of, eventually, building one or more sleeper ships and escaping Sirius altogether. The idea is that at least a part of humanity will survive and thrive if disaster strikes Sirius. The NTF's ideology touts the concept of Neo-Terra, a new homeworld that would echo the lost grandeur of Earth and become the new cultural and economic center of humanity.

But they were determined in their goal, laid out by their surviving leader, Ian Bosch, to build that Sleeper Ship; to create a new Eden in another system, or if they dared to hope, another galaxy.

Finally, the NTF has long-term plans to construct at least one Sleeper Ship, and preferably as many as they can put together. The first will be named the Iceni, but it has yet to even reach the design stages, much less actual construction.

]NTF[-NTSV-Hinton - The NTSV Hinton was a Zoner Conference class gunboat. Once the personal vessel of a Zoner of Rheinland origin, the Hinton was purchased by Robert Crompton, a Bretonian freelancer who later defected to the Front. Used primarily for research and diplomatic missions, the Hinton was destroyed attempting to protect other NTF vessels fleeing Kansas.

-The NTSC Hinton is the Faustus science ship you are supposed to protect in Rebels and Renegades (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Rebels_%26_Renegades).

]NTF[-NTGB-Undaunted - The Undaunted was the sole surviving vessel of the Neo Libertonian Front division of the LSF. It carried the handful of dreamers and idealists who would go on to revive the dream of Neo Terra or die trying to their salvation. Rescued by the Order and having undergone patchwork repairs after limping from Alaska, it served as the mobile HQ of the Neo Terran Front for a little over a year, until the Cassus Belli was acquired. Upon the signing of the Front's pact with the Legion, the Undaunted was towed off to be used for spare parts in return for three Bayonet class fighters and three Broadsword class bombers.

-I'm not sure what the Undaunted really was, but I believe it was a Leviathan-class cruiser you're supposed to destroy in the mission where Mjolnirs and a Vasudan Typhon destroyer are present (NTF ships are trying to flee, and the Undaunted is one of them, I think).

The NTF possesses a Heavy Lifter, the NTUV Faustus. It is used for moving large items and asteroids around, and for conducting ongoing repairs to the Belisarius.

It is VERY LIKELY that this was a reference to FreeSpace and that it was created by FS fans.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:09:56 am by Marcov »
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: ANOTHER apparent reference to FreeSpace 2 in Discovery mod for Freelancer
Discovery uses just about everything for story material.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Actually, that was started by Hellstryker and Mad Bomber, I believe. It as meant as a throwback to FreeSpace. Either way they're getting off of the ****hole Discovery mod and making their own mod.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i tried to dabble in freelancer modding bud i decided the engine was too restrictive to do anything cool with. discovery mod is probably every ****ing ship anyone ever modded into freelancer. i saw **** from classic bsg and serenity was in there and some starwars stuff and a hell of a lot of other **** that just didnt belong there.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
People started shooting me because they didn't like my ship
I uninstalled
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
i tried to dabble in freelancer modding bud i decided the engine was too restrictive to do anything cool with. discovery mod is probably every ****ing ship anyone ever modded into freelancer. i saw **** from classic bsg and serenity was in there and some starwars stuff and a hell of a lot of other **** that just didnt belong there.
Every mod is like that. WTS, TNG, Discovery, Crossfire (Has the Ragnarok from FFVIII, beastly so I think it's exempt, and the Starlancer ships too, but now it has all these new ships that are just complete ****piles of five-second model / texture works that, anyone can make by getting [Insert program here], shape here and shape there, bam done), all have ships from other shows / games up the ass.

Hell, WTS even has the GTF Apollo and GTB Ursa (I think the Ursa), and the SF Scorpion.

I almost forgot, among the newest ships added to Crossfire are ships from Spaceforce: Rogue Universe.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:23:23 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Quote from: Commander Zane

Commander Zane.

...okay yes I'm easily amused. Juni. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Has the Ragnarok from FFVIII

Alright, now tell me how to get it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hades

Every mod is like that. WTS, TNG, Discovery, Crossfire (Has the Ragnarok from FFVIII, beastly so I think it's exempt, and the Starlancer ships too, but now it has all these new ships that are just complete ****piles of five-second model / texture works that, anyone can make by getting [Insert program here], shape here and shape there, bam done), all have ships from other shows / games up the ass.

Hell, WTS even has the GTF Apollo and GTB Ursa (I think the Ursa), and the SF Scorpion.

I almost forgot, among the newest ships added to Crossfire are ships from Spaceforce: Rogue Universe.
Discovery is actually moving away from that and trying to follow Freelancer better, all ships from other universes are being thrown out. Only thing now is that they follow vanilla Freelancer too closely, where the new ships added are literally resized versions of retail ships or follow the style of one ship in a line and resized with almost a religious zeal.

WTS has the Dragon Medusa, Herc I, and a few more ships as well I think.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Quote from: Commander Zane

Commander Zane.

...okay yes I'm easily amused. Juni. :P
Actually my username isn't because of Freelancer, I've used it before I played the game.

Be an Admin on the Crossfire server or something like that, it isn't bought.

Offline Hades

Does the Crossfire mod still have the Kurgan and was it ever made buyable? It was one of my favorite ships from Starlancer, tbh.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
No idea.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

Please...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Please...

Be an Admin on the Crossfire server or something like that, it isn't bought.
I did.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I thought you were joking or something, really.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm serious.
Unless you play Single Player where you can edit the market_ships.ini to replace the ships in New Manhattan with the Ragnarok, it's reserved for certain players.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Are there any screenshots showing their version of the Ragnarok?

(sorry, guys, but I'm the way too interested on that ship!)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Plenty on the Crossfire ModDB screens...usually from Chase View, you'll have to look pretty deep into the screenshots list to find it in other angles.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
I apologize for the 7-day old thread being resurrecte (it's just that it'd be too redundant to start another thread), but here's another discovery.

http://starwars-exodus.wikia.com/wiki/Orion-class_Destroyer_Mark_I

:lol:
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Oh what is this...I don't even...