Author Topic: bobbtmann's Version, still in existence.  (Read 22455 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: bobbtmann's Version, still in existence.
I really like the current texturing. I think it should be as different from Rga's version as much as possible. Striped claws look very Shivan.

Offline Luis Dias

It's not uvmapped, is it?

It is UV Mapped

Offline CaptJosh

Damn...now that makes the Sathanas look scary. The Retail version just looks kind of...meh in comparison.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Question:

1: In 3ds max, how does one bake a light map using the luminance feature of the architecture material?

Offline Luis Dias

In 3ds there's a thing I think called "Render to Texture" in the Render menu (you have to select the object first), where you can bake all kinds of stuff into the mapped texture.

But do any 3ds max users know if there's anything special about using light emitting material? It renders, but doesn't bake.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Screenshots please  ;)
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Sure, but it's probably not the kind of  image you want to see...

Image 1 is what it looks like when I make a render, and image 2 is what the baked map looks like.  Note how it looks different, and doesn't even seem to respect the UV's

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline newman

Bobbtman, you do not want to bake a luminance map because fs2 doesn't handle glow maps that way. If you want to bake a glow map what you should do instead is set the ship as you want it to look like then bake the glows as a "complete map". Use that in fs2 and the ship will light up they way you wanted it to. You may want to further tweak the result in photoshop and remove any parts that don't have glowing/illuminated parts on them. But that's pretty much how you light ships up in fs2..
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Not the kind of image we want to see? Are you kidding? That is freaky awesome. :eek:

Offline newman

You may find it awesome but he wants it more awesome. Meaning making image 2 (in game) look like image 1 (render). And that means not baking any luminance maps and using a complete map instead. FS2 basically does an override when it comes to glow maps..

edit: I forgot to mention that light baking this way won't play nice with tiling UV's. You will need unique UV's at least on the parts that are illuminated (light being cast on them). If you have several identical parts that are illuminated and share the same uv's you'll want to detach just one and bake that. I tend to save separate versions for baking so I don't feel bad about butchering the meshes when I have to.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:38:55 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Maybe my language was imprecise. Normally I bake a light map using omnilights placed where I want the windows. That then becomes my glow map in-game.

This time around, I've used an architectural material with the red glowy bits emitting light. When I render a still, it comes out the way I want. For some reason, I can't capture it to the texture. :(

I'm not sure why.

Offline newman

I've never tried using an architectural material this way but your problem could still be trying to bake a luminance map: just having a black/white map for windows is not the same thing as a fancy glow map that has illumination cast at bits of the hull baked to it. For that you still need to bake a complete map. So I guess the question is, what type of a map are you using in the render to texture dialog?
Sorry if I misunderstood something again, but if you're using anything other than complete map this is still most likely the cause of your issues, architectural materials or not. A luminance map will attempt to capture just the lighting information into a texture. A complete map will do what the name says.

For example: say you have a a window glowing in a hull. The only thing you need from a glow map here is a black map with a white rectangle where the window is. But say you want a spotlight illuminating parts of the hull with a nice falloff effect? If you bake a luminance map you'll get weird results in the game. If you bake a complete map it will pretty much bake what you see in the render to the corresponding uv's of your texture. The game will pretty much override your diffuse/specular and make your lit parts look like in the render this way. If you attempt using a black/white glow map there you'll get a weird white non-transparent spotlight instead of a nice realistic looking one.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:47:52 pm by newman »

Hmm.. we'll get there eventually.

I'm not baking a luminance map. I'm baking a map that makes lighting a permanent part of the texture. Shadows, hotspots etc. Then I'm making it my glow map. I've done it before (with omnilights) to great success.

The difference this time is that, instead of omnilights, my light source consists entirely of light emitted from the glowy bits on the hull.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline newman

Right, just checking if it's something as simple as using a wrong map type. No such luck I guess. It could be that rendering to texture just doesn't play nice with light emitting / architectural materials, but as I've never attempted this before it's just guesswork.

Oh well. Light emitting maps seemed too good to be true. I'll probably have to do this the hard way, using many area lights.

Thanks anyways.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Offtopic: I can't wait for FotG. OMG that HUD is sex.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

Not entirely sure. I do know that some material types don't work right with rtt. I even found some that crashed max when trying to rtt every time. Don't remember trying it on your particular combo with architectural materials though.. wonder if you could find someone who had the same issue on a related forum or something. It's a long shot but sadly, apart from that I got nothing :P

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Offtopic: I can't wait for FotG. OMG that HUD is sex.
I will not derail another of bobbtmann's Sathanas threads, but I must point out that that one is just the crappy stopgap 1024 × 768 HUD--all other resolutions are way sexier :)