Author Topic: www.freespace2.com  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
http://www.freespace2.com/

It's a linkfarm, according to whois that's as of 24th of November last year. :(
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So?

Unless someone around here was planning on using it...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Just another sign of an aging game slowly being forgotten. :(

It's hard to find poignancy on the internet, this is kind of as close as we can come.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think we had a thread when it went down. Someone could buy the domain?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Missed (or possibly just forgot) the original thread - my bad. As for registering it, that was actually the first thing I looked into. There's a price listed for it (8.99. much lower than the other ones it suggested I try, which seemed odd) but the checkbox to register it is crossed out, and there's a little "make a bid" link, which duly sugests I make a bid of "at least $2500 to get started". Wasn't too keen on that, I'm afraid, although it would have been cool to have. Could have had a link to an archive of the old V site, and another set of links to community sites.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah, it's been dead a while now, I would be good to have the url, but I don't think we represent FS2 anymore, this community stands for something else.

EDIT: damn you Goob, I just saw my tittttle.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:39:26 am by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yeah, it's been dead a while now, I would be good to have the url, but I don't think we represent FS2 anymore, this community stands for something else.

Erm... what, exactly? We have exactly one non-FS related project (either by engine or content). We're a long way off being a general gaming site (which is a damned good thing IMO).
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Let me refrace then.
This is a modding community, mostly dedicated to FS2.
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Curses, now how will we cheat?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Just another sign of an aging game slowly being forgotten. :(

It's hard to find poignancy on the internet, this is kind of as close as we can come.

As long as HLP continues to thrive FS2 will keep chugging along.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It would be pretty cool to buy the domain and have it re-direct here, or else put up a basic info page with prominent links to here and other community sites.  From what Black Wolf says, though, the price looks somewhat prohibitive.

If a definite price can be ascertained that falls within a reasonable budget, I think the community should consider this. "Hard Light Productions" doesn't exactly suggest a direct connection to Freespace for the web-searching fan, but a domain name like www.freespace2.com clearly does.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
While true, searching "freespace 2" on google brings up...

• SCP site that links here.
  • Wikipedia that also links to here.
  • FS2's gog.com listing that has a link to here.
  • An FS2 page on gamespot.com which does have a link to something source code related.
  • HLP's main page.

Heck, #8 is a link to the online installer.

So yeah.. you can't even search anything Freespace 2 related without running into this place.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:49:58 pm by mjn.mixael »

So yeah.. you can't even search anything Freespace 2 related without running into this place.

I did. :nervous:

For quite some time too. I take it that puts me in the freak minority though. I just remember that seeing a site titled "Hard Light Productions" in the search listings simply didn't grab my attention. At any rate, acquiring the official fs2 domain name for aforementioned purposes certainly wouldn't hurt if it could be done for a relatively cheap price. But if not, I'm sure our current online presence (as outlined by your list) adequately suffices to channel web-searches to the community.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Missed (or possibly just forgot) the original thread - my bad. As for registering it, that was actually the first thing I looked into. There's a price listed for it (8.99. much lower than the other ones it suggested I try, which seemed odd) but the checkbox to register it is crossed out, and there's a little "make a bid" link, which duly sugests I make a bid of "at least $2500 to get started". Wasn't too keen on that, I'm afraid, although it would have been cool to have. Could have had a link to an archive of the old V site, and another set of links to community sites.

So, they suggest 2500.00, but if you put 8.99... who else is going to bid if no one knows it's up for grabs?

Exactly. I think a mere $8.99 would be a reasonable investment in proportion to the potential member influx it could provide the FreeSpace community. Assuming, of course, that the site could be obtained for such a minuscule amount. Though as of present that seems very possible.

BW, could we have a link to where you saw that? I did some searching, but I was not too confident in the results...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A bit of research reveals that when a domain expires it is not immediately put back into the pool or available for registration. It goes into a 30 day grace period inwhich the original owner can still renew at regular price. It then goes into a redemption period where the registrar's details are shown in the WHOIS. (in this case FINDYOUANAME or overseedomainmanagement.com) The original owner can still renew but at a much higher price ($~$200). This may be the period that freespace2.com is in. If still not claimed it then goes into a 5 day Pending Delete period where it is too late to reclaim. At the end of 5 days it "drops" and goes back into the pool of available domain names for anyone to purchase.

I dont know how reliable that information is though.