Author Topic: Crysis 2  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs

Spoiler:
I went no-kill mode after realizing that CELL operatives aren't actually bad guys, (generator room was a...unique challenge when they see me in the pitch black perfectly fine) but then come to that door invisible, and I HAD to go armour mode to get in, meaning I had to kill the guy standing near it

Spoiler:
To be fair, you should have gotten that idea when you see them disposing of bodies, when one of them goes "These are people, man!".
I also invested in stealth about midway through the game, but just because I could. I saw them more as mercenaries, so not too many qualms about popping a few of them.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
OK finished the game. My overall thoughts not bad, though not as good as the first one IMHO.

Reasons

NO Physco!

the missions are very linear. and seem very crampt, esp when your fighting the ceph, i kept getting stuck on terrain when trying to dodge the suckers.

AI, is lets say very lacking! the AI is the first one is better, enemies kept getting stuck and couldn't move properly on around the level, example Cell soldier kept running into a wall for no reason, he'd run into it, reverse and then run at it again while firing his weapon!  Ceph AI is just as bad.

But my reason for not enjoying as much as i wanted to is the same flaw most modern games seem to suffer from the ENDING is UTTER crap! Why oh why do game developers not put as much effort into ending games these days as they do with the rest! The ending to Crysis 2 is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo anti climatic to rest of the game and the final level is not very challenging as well. Yes i know it leaves it for an expansion or sequel but it still needs a good ending.

so i found it to be pretty much an average shooter, not much to really boast about i'm afraid to say, which is bad as i loved the first one and warhead!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Kolgena

Yeah, the ending sucked. But so did the ending on Crysis 1. I mean, lolCAPCOM pop the glowy bits stage boss?

Also, I'm not sure that AI in Crysis 1 was any better. They were pretty bot-like and stupid unless you used the Advanced AI mod.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They handled cloak better (though cloak was also less powerful) and were more interesting to screw around with.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Also, I'm not sure that AI in Crysis 1 was any better. They were pretty bot-like and stupid unless you used the Advanced AI mod.

hmm i don't remember the AI in Crysis being that stupid as it was in Crysis 2. I remember in the first one if you where cloaked, and the ai supsected you where present they would blanket the area with there weapons, like the scene in predator when the pred kills the guy with the minigun, everyone just lets rip and is regular crysis with no mods. Crysis 2 that never happened.

At least the game has a epic soundtrack, which to me gives it a lot of brownie points as a soundtrack for me is a major factor when i play games.

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Kolgena

I guess. I don't think I noticed much suppressive fire in Crysis 2. Then again, when suppressive fire is knocking over trees left and right in Crysis 1, it's a lot more exciting and memorable.

(My personal opinion is that Crysis 1 is the better game anyways, simply because there was so much stuff you could do to screw around. My fav was grabbing a barrel, crouching, and looking up at about 30 degrees. It serves as a near-perfect police shield. You can then proceed to strength throw it into someone)

Having just finished Crysis 2, Yeah,  1 and Warhead were better games. C2 is by no means bad, it's just generic compared to the first one. It was linear, the Suits options were slightly less varied, few Vehicle segments and so much smaller in terms of scale. In fact, while the AI was roughly the same IMO, save for a few things like CELL not using Suppressive fire and all, I believe the enemies in C1 were more dangerous simply because there were more of them in a given place. Fights in C1 got big especially around midgame. I cant think of a segment in C2 where I fought more than eight or so enemies at once, barring constant respawn, and you never have more than four or five squadmates. It was kinda disappointing, after the awesome scale of the first one.

Needless to say, I also miss the C1 Ceph. The new ones don't suck, compared to many videogame alien races, but the C1 Ceph were actually unique, and they were awesome. Now we have generic biotech-obsessed gribblies. Woo.

Like I said before, C2 certainly wasn't bad, and its miles better than the recent CoD iterations, but I think I'm going to join the "C1 was best" crowd. Still gonna buy the inevitable Third Game though.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I think your spot on Pyscholandlord, Its not a bad game, its just not a great game like the first one. Was annoyed that they didn't explain why the Ceph had drastically changed in appearance. I to liked the C1 Ceph, from the blue snake like ones to the huge walkers that fired ice!, Which brings me to another point what happened to their freeze weapons? They were cool! The C2 Ceph just don't seem as alien as the C1 ceph. Also a great shame they made Alcatraz mute, i liked that Nomad has lines.

Spoiler:
Another thing i didn't get in the ending, does Alcatraz still exist or has he now somehow changed into prophet?? Also when you find out the extent of Alcs injury's makes you think that the guy is technical dead?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:04:35 pm by starbug »

Offline Kolgena

Spoiler:
didn't batutta post a thing he wrote up that suggested that the suit was wearing a dead alcatraz body in order to get around? That seems to be similar to what you are suggesting, and would explain why he says that he's prophet: He's so dead/thrashed up that the suit rebuilt his brain from a residual image of Prophet's. The suit took him over, except not in a stupid way like Spiderman 3

I must say that there is one aspect that Crysis 2 is indisputably better than Crysis 1: The vanilla game settings look far far far better for how well it runs. Aside from that, I agree with everything starbug and psycholandlord said. I mean, why throw away awesome aliens and go with biped aliens and MGS robots? (The theme might be that for each hot-spot, you get a new race of aliens, ie, Crysis 3 will use a new race yet again. It'd be neat to see if crytek ever puts more than one race together in a team, or as opponents.)

Spoiler:
I don't think Alcatraz is dead, at least throughout most of the game, though he is certainly ****ed up. When Prophet's consciousness re-emerges he will actually exchange words with Alcatraz in a limited fashion, which would make no sense if he were actually dead. However, it's hinted at many times in the game, (and comes to it's logical conclusion in the ending), that the suit, and by extension Prophet, is taking control of whats left of Alcatraz, and was probably influencing if not out right controlling his actions early on. 

Offline Demitri

Played it. Enjoyed it, but yet have to agree that first one was probably better. One question tho, what happened to Nomad? He's never mentioned at all in C2, not even by Prophet.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Played it. Enjoyed it, but yet have to agree that first one was probably better. One question tho, what happened to Nomad? He's never mentioned at all in C2, not even by Prophet.
It's possible that Nomad and Psycho were sent to differing areas from Prophet or killed, there is a three year gap between both games, after all.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Demitri

It's possible that Nomad and Psycho were sent to differing areas from Prophet or killed, there is a three year gap between both games, after all.
True but you would have thought he would have got at least a mention seeing he was the hero of the whole first game!
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

What I don't like about Crysis 2 is we went from the Lingshan Islands to New York City, and I don't think the gap or what ever finally ended up happening in the South Pacific is ever explained.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

If you sift through all the Prophet flash back videos, its implied

Spoiler:
That when Prophet, Psycho, Nomad, and Rosenthal went back to the Ceph Lithoship on Lingshan, they came into contact with something there that made their suits reveal their parasitic nature, which killed off Nomad and Psycho, and possibly Helena. Prophet somehow ended up in New York as a result of this, just as the Ceph there began to wake up.   

Kinda stupid and ambiguous IMO, but theres supposed to be some supplementary material coming out that explains everything.

Offline Kolgena

Spoiler:
Remember that prophet had to switch suits at some point. He has the 2nd nanosuit by the time he washes up in NY, and he says that his infection is from the pink type ceph.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind a Warhead-like expansion to Crysis 2 to get some more backstory filled in.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Crysis 2 compared to Crysis 1 is like Transformers 2 compared to Transformers 1.

The world of C2 just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like C1 didn't happen.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Crysis 2 compared to Crysis 1 is like Transformers 2 compared to Transformers 1.

No it's not, C1 and major events within it are clearly mentioned all the time in C2, plus they DO have to make the storyline a bit easier to get into for console players who haven't played Crysis 1.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

No it's not, C1 and major events within it are clearly mentioned all the time in C2, plus they DO have to make the storyline a bit easier to get into for console players who haven't played Crysis 1.

Or people who could not run the original crysis.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

It's not?
A major, impossible coverup?
1-2 carrier fleets gone, entire island population re-loacted, ice spehere visible from space, aliens spreading out. And yet the world somehow still doesnt' know about the aliens. Did journalism, the media, google earth and good old-fashioned curiosity suddenly dissapear?

Then we have te total dissaperance of aliens, who we saw at the end of C1 spreading from the island, their flying robot thingies goes in every direction. Where have they gone to? Did they go on a picking for 3 years?

Then we have the nanosuit, acing and feelign completely different. It's nano-technology is completely different. In C1 it's just a suit. In C2 it's some walkign Deus ex Machina symbiont.

We also have all other special forces units dissapearing, never ot be heard or mentioned again. You'd thing Hargrieve would have a few bodyguards in a suit.

We also have the "new" Ceph which are a total letdown and the worst re-desing in history ever. All that Hargrieve talk about "efficency". What a load of bull. The ice angle replaced with the stupid "body horror" angle.

And the total re-design of the US forces to boot. The Marines in C1 have a completely different gear and behavior (regualr marines in C1 seem to be aware of the nanosuits existence, yet specil Forces in C2 don't???) then the C2 ones

I hate what the did with the entire world. Hate it, hate it, hate it with a blazing itensity of a gugolplex suns.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!