Author Topic: If you could create a video game, how would you make it?  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: If you could create a video game, how would you make it?
A virtual reality game that simulates real life to the very last detail.

Open the door.

Offline newman

Open the door.

This. I don't play to have another life exactly like my real one. I play as a form of escapism to forget about real problems for a while in a cool make believe fantasy world. A game in which I'd have to go to work every day, pay off my loans, etc? Why on Earth would I want to do that twice? I kinda prefer staring at Asari dancers in the Afterlife club on Omega :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Exactly that, man. That's why recently I've preferred to just play easy games, like ME, COD, something I can just boot the xbox up for and destress like anything for a bit with. I've reached a stage where I seriously can't be arsed getting my mind into tactical gear or high-stress gear just to play a videogame anymore. All I want to do is pull the trigger and have fun, FFS.

Also, seconded on the Asari dancers. ooooooh, baby. ;)

The universe does not feel all that alive, mind you. Not as alive as say... Stalker

Speaking of which, if I'd make a game it would have the same story set upas the stalker games have (There is a story, but you can divert at anytime) and fully focus on maximum immersion. Elaborated: Opening your inventory lets your character open his backpack, everything done in first person has an actual animation or player input with mouse ala amnesia, and such.

Far Cry 2 was good at trying to do this. Except for one glaring design issue with respawning checkpoints that was a really brilliant game.

I know :D. And I don't really mind the respawning checkpoints, although I do mind that just about everyone is out there to kill you, just you, and nobody else. I'd would have liked to see soome interaction between the faction (and slightly more varied buddy rescues :P).

So it would be a mix beteween stalker and FC2.

I'd love a game that's built on the premise of X3 and actually delivers...
www.pardus.at?

There's also X3: Terran Conflict, which is like Reunion, but better. Haven't played it, but it was praised as being more accesiable and all.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:16:15 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Have you been watching some sorta animu again, boi?

[insert 'son i am disappoint' here]

WoD badge detected, commencing ironic meltdown...

Of course, the irony couldn't possibly have been intended, right?  :nervous:

As for my "perfect" game, it's not so much perfect as one I just really want to see made. A Warhammer 40K game following an Inquisitor [customiseable player character, of any of the three ordos and several classes within] and his warband investigating a subsector wide conspiracy involving Xenos, Heretics and Daemons. Would play a bit like Mass Effect and Deus Ex, with slightly more in depth party control stuff (A bit like Republic Commando)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

On that note, a Warhammer game with proper scale and grittiness.

Edit: Sorry, Grimdark.

As for my "perfect" game, it's not so much perfect as one I just really want to see made. A Warhammer 40K game following an Inquisitor [customiseable player character, of any of the three ordos and several classes within] and his warband investigating a subsector wide conspiracy involving Xenos, Heretics and Daemons. Would play a bit like Mass Effect and Deus Ex, with slightly more in depth party control stuff (A bit like Republic Commando)
80% of players would create an Eisenhorn or Ravenor for their character and try to get a Harlon Nayl type in their warband.  Not that it wouldn't be awesome, I just thought you should know about it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
A perfect 4X space strategy game. Basically everything best in FreeSpace, MoO, Galactic Civilisations, and Sins of a Solar Empire. It would be realtime like Sins, with freespace or Space Empires V jump nodes style FTL, and FreeSpace combat tactics (smaller fleets where every ship matters) with Sins abilities. But probably no ground combat, I want it focused on space battles, and there is really not much sense in it when you can attack anywhere on the planet from orbit. Also it would be too much for realtime strategy.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
80% of players would create an Eisenhorn or Ravenor for their character and try to get a Harlon Nayl type in their warband.  Not that it wouldn't be awesome, I just thought you should know about it.

Well, Raveror post Thracian Atrocity would be impossible, but I guess they could the rest. And you just avoid having a hardnut ex-bounty hunter as a recruitable party member.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
One game I would like to make is one with two distinct elements in the same game.

The setting would be into the FTL era of Sci-Fi and a global war on a far off world (fairly standard so far i know)  the game would be a multiplayer planet based RTS with the typical C&C/Warcraft type interface.  Now the difference to the norm would be that some of the units commanded would be other players using a FPS interface who can obviously act on their own free will but can also receive orders from the commander through chat and way points + attack, guard, etc orders placed with the mouse.

Both player types can earn rewards and upgrades while playing like normal, any increases are kept between games.  Progress of the game would be measured on a large map of the "planet" being played on which is used to decide which maps are available.  Maps on the border that can be selected for attack by opposing commanders, victory for the map is achieved by taking and holding 80% of the map and all key points (such as urban areas, bottlenecks etc) for a set period of time with a general time limit of a  couple of days, if the time limit is reached  then the map goes to the defender.  the played on maps would be large enough to support several large armies on each side and can be dropped in on and left at will.  units are called in by the commander as reinforcements transported by air land or see as available (dependent on where the reinforcements are called in to and the map layout) to drop points.  it is during these reinforcement deliveries that FPS player join the game and respawn.

If one team manages to take all sectors of the planet then it goes to that team and a new world is started with new maps.  Also the game's devs would be constantly evolving the game with new weapons etc as well as evolving story to go along with the different victories and perhaps create special story battles for special badges and perhaps units/equipment.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
If I were going to make a game...

Well there are two concepts I've had so far. 

The first one is similar to Infinity with its procedurally generated world/universe.  However, instead of just producing one ball-tighteningly fantastic galaxy with static scenery, it can keep track of player interaction with it, and adjust itself accordingly.  Thus, if you want to start a colony, you can.  Want to blow that colony up?  Go ahead.  As a twist on MMOs, instead of having each and every event be a prescripted boredom fest, the players generate all the chaos and commotion.  You can build up your stats, unlocking new abilities--like 'build installation' or 'ransack village.'  Each action of this nature creates an event other players can respond to, and its success or failure will alter the world persistently.  I see a bunch of people yelling 'EVE, EVE!' but the major difference here is that in order to pull those kinds of stunts in EVE you need to be part of a corporation, and it really takes the fun out of it for players who aren't that interested in corporate buggery.  This game's world-changing actions have no requirement for large player groups, though players may assist one another. 

Say you had a bad day, and you've pumped your space fleet commanding abilities to the max, and you just need someone to take your anger out on.  Queue 'Orbital bombardment.'  Suddenly, across the server, Heroes and Villains alike are notified that you are trying to ruin someone's day by  attacking a planet-side colony from orbit.  Of course, if it's just you versus the Do-Gooders, the battle is stacked against you.  So initiating a world-changing action creates a force populated either with AI or other, sinister, player characters who will assist you.  If you win, the colony is reduced to a burned out crater.  If you lose, it still stands, if a little scarred.

Also something I've always wanted to experiment with is a dynamic sword-play system.  Instead of having a bunch of characters wailing on one another until someone falls over, have them chose between different responses.  Opponent stabs.  Retreat, parry, or counterattack?  Each action costs in energy, and the lower your energy gets, the slower/weaker your response will be. Retreat and all actions miss.  Parry.  OK, are you strong enough to stop it, and did you parry in time?  Do they disengage and remise(sp?)? 

Something like the dynamic swordplay would be best suited to a game similar to battlefront but with pirates and captainable ships.  Preferably airships.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, it'd be REALLY DAMN HARD to get good at an action-reaction combat system like that, methinks.

Dont read this if you have a faint heart.

Spoiler:
I would make a freespace port for the iphone, it would voice command to give wing mates commands, and all the features I couldnt map to the screen or rotation would be voice commanded
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Good, I'd make it good.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I'd like to make a game that does combined arms really well. I have plans drawn up for a turn based strategy sort of like SPMBT, except with it would have scope scaling. You could opt to control units at a squad based level, sort of like X-Com UFO:D, or you could zoom out to platoon/company level and issue orders to your subordinate officers/NCOs and so on. It would be a futuristic game with power armor sort of like that in RAH's Starship Troopers except the armor would be much rarer and a bit more fragile.

I'd also love a Power Armor tech noir FPS game that actually made you feel like you were in a totally cool suit of metal, had great gameplay that was obviously different than that of generic FPSs like Halo or Half-Life. Tribes: Vengance is really the closest thing I could think of to it, but if I were to make one I'd make it less "baw drama love" and more "srs bzns mysterious problems" and a bit less futuristic; much more conventional weaponry.

The FS universe would make a really cool universe to make that FPS in, actually. Imagine playing missions like VD's final mission as a more legitimate FPS where you're in an EVA rated suit of armor rather than in a tiny little spaceship that's sort of like a suit of armor. Wouldn't be able to do it in FSO or anything, but it'd be damn cool. Say you're on a troop transport about to board a ship and you're wearing massive heavy power armor b/c terran ships just happen to make that practical (shut up, I know it's really not feasible past rule of cool) and then you get ambushed. A huge chunk of your argo is ripped apart, and you're venting atmosphere and there's debris everywhere. You need to navigate the wreckage, fluctuating gravity fields, and enemy fire while rounding up the rest of your squad and secure your own ship as the enemies try and turn the table.

edit: Crap, my writing is pretty horrible.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Thread full of Derek Smart larvae

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Thread full of Derek Smart larvae

thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot to add that my ideal games would be incomprehensible and buggy and that I would be a jackass.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I'd love to see an action/adventure game with a truly dynamic world, full of all sorts of emergent gameplay.

Since that's a pretty vague, buzzwordy answer, I'll go with "Oblivion, but better."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd also love a Power Armor tech noir FPS game that actually made you feel like you were in a totally cool suit of metal, had great gameplay that was obviously different than that of generic FPSs like Halo or Half-Life. Tribes: Vengance is really the closest thing I could think of to it, but if I were to make one I'd make it less "baw drama love" and more "srs bzns mysterious problems" and a bit less futuristic; much more conventional weaponry.

I am onboard with this plan.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I am onboard with this plan.

Same here. Power Armor is a little overused in the FPS genre, but it hasn't ever been done right as far as I'm concerned.