Author Topic: New Poseidon  (Read 8899 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Cool, This was actually my first attempt at upgrading a retail model and I've learned a lot since but still nice to see it revived and in capable hands. I remember really struggling with the design of the head and the front part of the engine pods but I think the end product struck the proper balance between being boxy and curvy.

I like where this is going.  Will the cargo containers be HTLed with it as well?

There was a cargo container somewhere being HTLd, but I haven't seen anything in a while and I have no idea where the WIP model is. (Note: I didn't bother to forum search before typing this. Chances are it might be easy to find.)

Here is the thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70904.0
ION3 made it and sent it to me so I could possibly make some modifications to the foot pads to accommodate his docking clamps (Made them but never did post it as I never heard about the container again after that), not sure if he worked on it any further but I still have the blender file he sent me if some one needs it. Should probably try to contact him first for permission though.

Yeah, get permission (or try). At this point.. I would much rather edit the container than the Poseidon considering I've already UVed the thing..

This is the general feel I'll be going for on all the panelling. I did this one side so as to figure out a good method.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:28:16 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kolgena

The backwards J-shaped crack ends in the middle of nowhere, so it doesn't actually divide any plates into two. There are a couple of other lines that also end in the middle of a plate. I feel it looks weird, and doesn't give the impression of plates. Rather, it looks more like circuitry with that approach.

The general feel is fine though. The plates are definitely on the smaller side compared to almost any other craft, but it's okay, and helps to give it a huge, industrial type of feel.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Have you even looked at the original before posting your feedback?

Here, let me help you...

Now. What do you see.. right there in the middle of the panel that matches the one in my previous screen? Also, what can you tell me is obvious about the 'panel' sizes?

Please, please, please look at retail, or at least the MediaVPs version before you post your feedback.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:03:05 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Kolgena

I was basing my feedback off of what I remember most when I think poseidon, ie, the retail one with tiny tiny retail textures. You'll notice that there are no suggestions to cracks that end in the middle of nowhere (okay, fine, no suggestions to anything, really), and that those patterns were imagined in by whoever did the textures for the mvps. Personally, I feel the mediavps textures are a bit illogical and noisy already (though by no means ugly), and I was hoping that they'd receive a makeover this time around.

But I applaud your attention to detail. Looks pretty much spot on right now if copying the mvp textures was the goal in mind.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The image of retail in the wiki pretty obviously shows that there is a lot of 'noise' type paneling. When I get to my other rig, I'll pull up the retail POF to look at it again, but I'm betting much of the detail is pretty clearly justified...

But if you prefer I could go with the blurred out 'who knows what that detail is supposed to be' look...  :lol:

I love the Poseidon. However, seeing this I must say.... it looks even better!!! Gives more of that "I'm a freighter, but I'm still military" feel the original did, something the Triton or Chronos never had. Great job!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I love the Poseidon. However, seeing this I must say.... it looks even better!!! Gives more of that "I'm a freighter, but I'm still military" feel the original did, something the Triton or Chronos never had. Great job!
Well the Chronos was supposed to be a civilian freighter anyway. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well the Chronos was supposed to be a civilian freighter anyway. :P
And sadly it has the thickest armor of any of the three. :P

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Looks good mjn. I'm glad you're retaining the heavy noise panelling - the only suggestion I'd offer is maybe slightly less intense panel lines there - a slightly thinner line, or decreased opacity for the dirt layer or something to tone it down a bit. Otherwise, looks like a really good start. :yes2:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Twas the feedback I got from the FSU guys.. so toned down, it begins to look like this.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
MJN, if I may make a suggestion...

You might consider texturing the forward viewports in a fashion similar to the Gemini capsule, which had small viewports exposed to the forward direction via cut-out "troughs" made in the forward hull. Seeing as the Poseidon seems to have this configuration already, I think capitalizing on this aesthetic would go a long way in giving a heavy-duty military feel to the ship.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Luis Dias

I'm not a fan of blurring between panels, mixael. It makes the model look like a cartoon.

edit: I mean, I like a little blur, but I think that they are too big right now.

The whole detail design seems pretty spot on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:14:13 pm by Luis Dias »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
New panel lines look much better. :yes:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Dammit, you are fast!!

Some possible feedback:

Is it just me or maybe the base texture is a little lighter than the retail one?.

The paneling work looks quite good so far, my only issue is that it's just too noticeable, might be because of the base texture color I just mentioned.

Keep it up mjn :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
That giant flying target has never looked so good.

I have no complaints on the progress as it is.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You call that giant ? That thing is smaller than an Ursa IIRC.

Nah, what would be a giant flying target would be the Triton. Or the Hecate.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Kolgena

Poseidon's actually longer than an Ursa, at 67m, compared to 41m. They're both flying mansions. (Consider that the Poseidon is just a bit bigger than the White House)

Looks good, can't wait till next picture update.

I can't wait to see this baby with a normal map.

And the White House comment above made me awe at the actual scale of freespace that I always forget.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I demand animated silhouettes of people behind the windows! :P

Really great work (in progress) - as always, Sir! :yes:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."