Author Topic: Portal 2  (Read 11135 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
wtf

Why doesn't this topic exist yet?

Portal 2, the most interestingly awesome candidate for Game of the Year.  What do you guys think of it?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Eh, Portal 1 was a tack-on bonus for me with the The Orange Box, haven't bought into the hype yet. Sure it was entertaining, but I played Narbacular Drop before Portal, so it's not entirely new to me.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Quote from: 20 April 2011 Wednesday, 1056hrs SGT (GMT/UTC+8), #hard-light
[10:56am] Androgeos: So uhh, anyone here playing Portal 2 now?
[10:57am] Goober5000: NO U
[10:57am] mura: battuta is
[10:58am] CaptJosh-afk is now known as CaptJosh.
[10:58am] bookttuta: i was, yeah
[10:59am] bookttuta: it's all right
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's okay. Spoilers up to about halfway through (middle of Act 2 I think)

Spoiler:
It's not as good as the first one, but it's a good game.

I'm annoyed that Valve still makes dumb mistakes with their signposting. They are usually super excellent to the max at signposting, then sometimes they just throw you in with something that's like 'fire 1000 portals until you find a surface that will actually accept portals, have fun'

The gels aren't as much fun as the other test types because they require more annoying portal management, but they're pretty cool

The writing's great, they seemed to figure out that bitter GLaDOS was boring and mixed it up pretty quickly. Cave Johnson is the best part of what I've played so far.

The hard light bridges and lasers are great and very intuitive, I really enjoyed working with those.

It's a nice change of pace from MODERN BATTLEFIELDS, and it's great to play a Valve game again, but I think they might've gussied it up a bit too much.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:24:16 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Somebody linked to this on IRC just now. If anyone's stuck between getting a PS3 or XBox 360 just to play Portal 2, this might help them out.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm about half-way through it.  ****ing. Amazing.  Literally every tiny bit of it so far has been enjoyable for me.  It's everything that was good about the first game ramped up about two notches.  I can't even imagine how crazy co-op's going to be.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Finished.  Amazing.  Don't be discouraged if you're about halfway through and start to loose interest.  The game pulls together.  Money well spend, and maybe even worth the annoyances of preloading.  Valve has definitely done it again :D

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Yeah I noticed that Hard Light thing too... was tempted to take a screen shot.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I chuckled at that whenever it popped up. :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Finished.
Spoiler:
Brilliant ending, overall not as good as the first game. Highlights were the great environments, Cave Johnson, and the ending, but while it was a fun ride and Wheatley was decent, it never recaptured the real charm or spirit of Portal 1 - because it couldn't. There was no way to return to GlaDOS' aggression-buried-beneath-protocol vibe. Also hampered by some really annoying problems with signposting that should've been caught in QA.

It wasn't really that anything went wrong; it's a great game. It's just that it never had a chance of going quite as right as the original, and the need to fill out a full playtime meant it kind of stretched its welcome. Puzzles never really seemed to take off, too - they were often clever but never felt thoroughly off-the-hook. On to Episode 3, please.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Anybody try the Co-Op?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Space.
I'm in space!

All the /v/irgins are trolling metacritic claiming a four hour campaign and *****ing about totally optional and worthless DLc can go **** themselves.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
All the /v/irgins are trolling metacritic claiming a four hour campaign and *****ing about totally optional and worthless DLc can go **** themselves.
I think I took more than four hours to get halfway through the chapters, and I'm under the impression that they'll start getting longer time-wise as things get more complex.  I dunno what they're smoking.

Also, I have to humbly disagree with Battuta.  This has blown the first game completely out of the water thus far.  And I can't say I've yet been stuck for a minute or two looking for a place to put a portal, and that's usually because of my own inability to look upward than anything else.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I'll tell you what I think about it when it goes down to the same price I paid for the first one.

I got it during a promotion on steam where it was free.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Say what you want, I consider my money well spent, even if the price was a little steep.  And I too got Portal when it was free (though I ended up buying the Orange Box later anyway).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Portal 2 is actually the first game I ever pre-ordered, and at least so far, it was worth every penny.  And that's not even counting the prospects of co-op.

Brilliant game. Bit too easy but I love the humour.
Now waddle over to the elevator.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Also, I have to humbly disagree with Battuta.  This has blown the first game completely out of the water thus far.  And I can't say I've yet been stuck for a minute or two looking for a place to put a portal, and that's usually because of my own inability to look upward than anything else.

With the possible exception of the ending, there was nothing as brilliant and funny as the weighted companion cube, or the cake, or the end fight banter about how you were adopted, or -

It was a good game. It just never took off.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

With the possible exception of the ending, there was nothing as brilliant and funny as the weighted companion cube, or the cake, or the end fight banter about how you were adopted, or -

It was a good game. It just never took off.

I felt the ending to be extremely exciting and rewarding, not to mention unexpected. How did it not take off?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:58:11 am by Unknown Target »