Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 48290 times)

http://www.worldoftanks.com/

Anyone play it yet?

It's worth a try for those who didn't and like MMO's with pretty simple arcade controls, but have a very realistic engine that:
- takes into account stuff such as armor thickness, slope, ammo type, caliber, distance from which the shot was fired and a few others when calculating penetration;
- has LOTS of historical vehicles, from mass produced ones like T-34's and StuG III's to those that never left the drawing boards such as German E-Series vehicles (the E-Series aren't in game yet, but they are in the full German tech tree);
- has upgrades for vehicles (such as Schmalturm turrets for Panthers, or a short barrel gun-howitzer conversion for an M2 Medium tank instead of it's 37 mm, other than that there are suspension upgrades, engines, radios and others)
- has a very destructible world (you could drive through fences, walls, trees and even small buildings if your tank's powerful enough)
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Can you intimidate infantrymen with an M8 HMC while cowering in fear from pretty much every other tank out on the battlefield?

:p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Nope... No infantry in this game, just 15 vs 15 in tanks, SPG's and tank hunters/assault guns.

There is a bunch of light tanks, Marders (I killed a few with a single hit to the side already using the 75 mm gun-howitzer turret on an M2 medium tank hull) and other stuff that an M8 likes to eat, but keeping the 37 mm turret is probably a better choice if you want to fight A20's, M7 Medium Tanks and similar.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:15:25 am by BengalTiger »

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I think a few people on HLP play it. Apparently it's loads of fun. The trailers are awesome, too.

I can't play it though cause I'm in wrong corner of the world. :doubt:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, you can get the shaped-charge round for the gun, right? :D

In all, it does sound kind of fun, and makes me think of what a first-person mode of Combat Mission would be like. I'm a bit too busy for that kind of thing right now though.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

HEAT rounds are premium rounds and you have to pay for them...
But I did seriously hurt a KV lately using regular HE, must have hit a hatch or something though, usually it's nearly immune to the 75 mm gun-howitzer, even when hit from the sides or rear at nearly 90 deg angles.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Interesting... HEAT/Shaped charge rounds would have been employed by tanks/SPGs with low muzzle velocities. Tanks firing at higher velocites would have employed standard AP rounds, HE, and on the exotic/uncommon scale of things, tungsten (tungsten carbide would be better, but I'm not sure how abundant that alloy would be) sabot rounds. Essentially, you can think of those HEAT rounds from an infantry-gun type cannon as a Bazooka/PIAT/Panzerfaust round, just with greater range and velocity.

Silly game mechanics. :)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

I wouldn't say they're silly, the game has to generate income, and selling premium tanks, accounts, HEAT and APCR ammo and some other goodies is the mechanism they use to get people to pay.

Everyone else needs to grind longer to get the good tanks and use regular ammo while doing it.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Is the game free or do you have to pay anything?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
It's free, only the special stuff cost money.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Hey yea I play this, since the closed betas. It's indeed lots of fun... unless the team you're playing with are a bunch of lemmings, but that goes with any other online game aswell.
Habeeb it...

Offline mxlm

This game is surprisingly fun. It certainly didn't sound fun--an mmo with tank? Get out, baddie--but, well, my gaming group got it so I broke down and got it. I really like it.

Although you really need to be in the same tier as the people you want to play with, or you'll be outclassed and worthless and that's not a whole lot of fun.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Played it for months during the beta. It was good. Really good. Thinking of playing some more now whenever I find the time, although it'll be tough going from a maxed IS-3 back to the LOLtraktor. Still, wouldn't mind trying the German tree. Have to kill time until the British come out and I can get my hands on a Firefly.

I highly recommend this to everyone. At the very least, you can get through the first few tanks quite quickly without premium. That should be more than enough to give you a taste of the action.

Also, I have to give props to the heavy Soviet line. The mediums on that line are downright painful, and moreso grinding through the KV-1, but you get more than enough payoff just a little later. No, not the IS-7. Screw the IS series tanks, the KV3 is where it's at. Slap the 107mm or big 122mm and you're laughing. Some of the most fun I had in that game was in that baby. Sure, she may have been dented, slow as my dead grandmother, and quite possibly made out of kindling and petrol. But she was mine.  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:31:42 am by Mefustae »

This game is surprisingly fun. It certainly didn't sound fun--an mmo with tank? Get out, baddie--but, well, my gaming group got it so I broke down and got it. I really like it.

Although you really need to be in the same tier as the people you want to play with, or you'll be outclassed and worthless and that's not a whole lot of fun.
You get a bonus for damaging higher tier tanks. It's also possible to score a critical on an IS-3 driving an M7 Medium and immobilize it. You could also stay behind cover in a light tank with enemies in viewing range, being an artillery observer. The game gives experience points for damage done to a target you see but the shooter doesn't.
Unless I'm at the bottom of the food chain, it's lots of fun.

Also, I have to give props to the heavy Soviet line. The mediums on that line are downright painful, and moreso grinding through the KV-1, but you get more than enough payoff just a little late. No, no the IS-7. Screw the IS series tanks, the KV3 is the ****. Slap the 107mm or big 122mm and you're laughing.
If you hate the KV, try taking the US T1 Heavy for a ride. That thing was built when the US had no clue about what heavy tanks are and it totally sucks.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
If you hate the KV, try taking the US T1 Heavy for a ride. That thing was built when the US had no clue about what heavy tanks are and it totally sucks.
I saw enough of those when the US first got released to know it was a bad idea. I stuck with the M4A3E8, good ol' Easy Eight. Didn't even move on down the ladder, just stuck with it. That was a good tank. Plenty of speed, peashooter that fired like a machinegun, but it could still do some serious damage. Plus the following tank on the medium line looks fugly.

You know, I've always kinda wanted to give this game a shot, but I never did. This thread sold - I wanna drive a damn KV3. Though from the sound of it, I'll need to get a few of my friends involved too.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I just got through Lee (surprisingly ok to play if you play it like a TD... otherwise *yegh*) and bought myself a T1 Heavy... I miss my T29 from the Beta days :p
Then again if you fully understand how bad T1 Heavy is against the people your are going to play with (unless you get damn lucky with the team lottery), it is fun in a symphaetic kind of a hilarious way. I kind of like it... sort of.

But my main branch is going to be russian TD's. So far I have AT1 and I'm gonna play with it until my crew is at 100%, then I'll move forward.
Habeeb it...

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
You know, I've always kinda wanted to give this game a shot, but I never did. This thread sold - I wanna drive a damn KV3. Though from the sound of it, I'll need to get a few of my friends involved too.
Friends are a great help. Moving as a wolfpack of mediums or, even better, a force of heavies can be truly devastating to the usual rabble making up the other team. I've had some marked success getting a team of randoms to work together, but those times are few and far between. Having friends you can talk to and coordinate can turn a good match into a truly great one.

But my main branch is going to be russian TD's. So far I have AT1 and I'm gonna play with it until my crew is at 100%, then I'll move forward.
Good luck. I've heard the SU-85 is a bit nasty to grind, but the SU-100 is more than worth the wait.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Late-war Russian tanks were a force to be reckoned with, and outclassed their German counterparts in a wide variety of aspects (depending on the model, of course). The KV was alright, but the IS series and the tank hunters with the 152mm cannon were at the height of nasty.

German tanks such as the Tiger I remained viable due to the high velocity gun and thick armor - unfortunately for the Tiger I, there wasn't too much sloping to help deflect a shot. The Panther was too little in numbers, and the Tiger II was too complex... seeing as the Russians didn't have too much of a logistics crisis at the end, well... :p

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Well, killing a platoon of various KVs with 2 or 3 T-34s, a Pz IV with a Schmalturm and a 75/L70, as well as my little M7 Medium is a pretty cool experience.
The KVs just got stuck in a game of whack-a-mole, with the difference that the moles scored hits and disappeared before they could rotate their big @$$ turrets and take aim...

And since the debate is slowly veering off towards tanks- the Germans should have canceled all vehicles heavier than the Panther and Jagdpanther, because they were just too expensive and not cost effective enough. A better plan would be to make the VK1602 Leopard longer by one roadwheel, to fit an oversize version of it's turret with some 80-90 mm thick frontal armor and big enough to fit a 75mm /L48.
Then produce them instead of Tigers, King Tigers, Jagdtigers and even Panzer IVs. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to pump out a lot more of those than the big beasts, and that they'd work much better than T-34s and Shermans, which was all the Germans really needed in terms of technical superiority.