Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 48589 times)

Kinda OT, since we've moved into a debate here, but this game is exclusively European Theater, right? The reason I ask is because I was kinda hoping some Japanese tanks had made it in as joke characters or something. Driving a Chi-Ha through a formation of T-34's would elicit some hilarious reactions :lol: 

Well that might make a good Tier 3 Medium...
It sure would be a pain for stuff like Panzer 2's and T-26s.

But right now I think only the Brits and French will join the World of Tanks.

Japanese, Italians, Polish and some others would be a good addition too, but I have some doubts it will ever happen...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
OHGOD...

Yeah, Japanese and Italian tanks were pretty much a joke. I've descriptions in some reference books where Japanese tanks might be disabled by a rifle bullet, or the turret ring might be jammed via an infantryman's knife. So long as the tank crew never got a chance to let into you with its weapons, an M2 Browning team could probably make short work of the vehicle.

*EDIT

Oh, by the way, can you get any Crocodile tanks? The Sherm with a flamethrower might be really fun in an urban fight... just so long as you see your target first, and you're in range, of course. :p The Churchill Crocodile would be more fun in my opinion, as it should be a bit tougher to crack into than the Sherman.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:43:11 pm by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Well that might make a good Tier 3 Medium...

I don't think you understand the immensity with which the vast majority of Japanese Armored Vehicles suck.

EDIT: Scratch the KV, if there are any sort of flam thrower tanks, I want one of those.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
AND HOW...

You have to realize that a HUGE sum of the Japanese arsenal, air and ground, was based on a theater in which the Japanese excelled: China. Your air arm not only has a huge range due to the fact that it's operating over vast plots of ocean, but also because it's operating over China. Your aircraft are light and agile, as they have to fend off light, cheap, and generally obsolete Chinese fighters (often biplanes) from your bombers. Do you now understand the design of fighters like the Zero and the Oscar?

Likewise, when you have need of stomping down the ill-equipped Chinese ground forces, you don't need a world-beating tank. A cheap, crappy vehicle that... might... (LOL) keep the crew safe from small arms is all you need. Thus, the Chi-Ha is explained as well.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
ed: i am retarded

Likewise, when you have need of stomping down the ill-equipped Chinese ground forces, you don't need a world-beating tank. A cheap, crappy vehicle that... might... (LOL) keep the crew safe from small arms is all you need. Thus, the Chi-Ha is explained as well.

Well that, and the fact that IIRC the Chi-Ha was an early 30's design that the Japanese kept on for some unfathomable reason. Worked out great in Manchuria didn't it?

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Good luck. I've heard the SU-85 is a bit nasty to grind, but the SU-100 is more than worth the wait.

Actually I had great fun with SU-85 on the beta. I got as far as ISU-152 pimped to the maximum, so I know how the bigger tiers feel like aswell.

The SU-85B is quite horrid. You usually get to play with the big boys and feel useless. SU-76 has a better chance to go with the smaller tiers and feel powerfull.
Habeeb it...

I don't think you understand the immensity with which the vast majority of Japanese Armored Vehicles suck.

Well Tier 3 tanks are such wonders like the M2 Medium or the BT-7 or Panzer II.

And since the Germans get the E-Series, I'm sure Japan would have Type 5 Chi-Ri tanks and other prototypes.

Well Tier 3 tanks are such wonders like the M2 Medium or the BT-7 or Panzer II.

Wow really? Makes sense  then. Still seeing the Chi-Ha referred to as "good" or even "possibly good" in any way, shape, or fashion boggles the mind.

So what is the absolute highest end of the spectrum in this game? Pershing/Tiger/ IS-2? Maus, maybe?

T-54.
Right now it's overpowered because the Devs created a tank that has the best stats from the prototypes (such as 110 mm front hull armor, vs 99 mm production) and the production versions (people compare it's performance to the '70s T-55s) and combined them into a disaster I have yet to meet on the battlefields (My M4 Easy 8 Sherman is a too low Tier tank for the match making/balancing system to put in battles with Tier 9 and 10 tanks very often).

But other than that, the IS-7, Maus, US T30/T32/T34 series (with the 155 mm gun armed T30 being the highest Tier 10), the Pershing (there are rumors of the M47 joining to be a counterbalance for the T-54). Unreleased as of today are E-Series tanks from the E-50 to E-150, so there's lots of cool stuff when you level up.

The French also get the AMX-50 with the 120 mm gun when released as Tier 10 Heavy.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The game turns pretty crappy after tier 7 because of ridiculous SPG damage.

Well with 8 inch guns firing 200 pound projectiles the damage should be pretty big.

I still didn't have any serious problems with artillery so far, maybe because my best tank is an Easy 8... But I'll probably find out just how bad the big guns are in a couple weeks when I level up a bit.

Looks like the roster is more comprehensive than I was led to believe. I will definitely be getting into this. Thanks for answering my somewhat random questions. 

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, if they get into Cold War tanks...

...I might consider playing this if I can get my hands on a M103 Heavy Tank, which is one of the beastliest vehicles I've ever seen. Ever.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Well the M103 was a mid-late '50s tank, and currently it's either something that was designed up to 1950, or it's not featured.

However there is a T30 Heavy Tank which is already in game, but the grind through the T1 that is the first US heavy tank is the suck.

Offline Patriot

Since you guys are wondering what'll be in the game, here's a few pages of tank tree

http://statcdn.worldoftanks.com/comcom_v2_110412_release/uploads/tech_trees/french_tree_full(eng)_for_book.jpg

http://statcdn.worldoftanks.eu/comeu_v2_110412_release/uploads/ussr__full(eng).jpg

http://statcdn.worldoftanks.eu/comeu_v2_110412_release/uploads/usa_tree_full(eng).jpg

http://statcdn.worldoftanks.eu/comeu_v2_110412_release/uploads/germany_tree_full(eng).jpg

These are the newly revised versions, as of today actually. Many more US TDs added and the T34 has been removed for the M103, T30 has been moved to T9 TD and replaced with the T110. Good to see them actually listening to people.

Noticed addition of German TDs as well as slightly modifying the parallel lines they were to have to begin with.

USSR gets a few extra tanks(KV-2 as it's own dedicated tank, oh dear) and a few shuffles.

Also, talk of British and Japanese trees have been surfacing. British is actually under works(a video somewhere on the forums has a guy working on an Australian tank for the British tree). There is also talk of a European tree, which basically combines many other european nations together to make a tree of tanks.

Also, look up Soriugen on the US Server if you have a chance, that'll be me :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:30:54 pm by Patriot »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Basically, all you need to know about WoT is that the Tiger I was a terrible, terrible tank to drive in beta and still is. Contrast this with reality and you begin to understand.

(Also I'm curious why they went Dicker Max -> Nashorn rather than Nashorn -> Dicker Max. Maybe construction order.)

Late-war Russian tanks were a force to be reckoned with, and outclassed their German counterparts in a wide variety of aspects (depending on the model, of course). The KV was alright, but the IS series and the tank hunters with the 152mm cannon were at the height of nasty.

The KV-1/1s had armor but never a gun sufficent to match up with German contemporaries. KV-2 with 152mm was a close support tank and had very bad ballistics, short range, poor penetration. (And no HEAT round was ever issued for the gun.) The T-34 similarly was armored well enough to waltz through early-war German tanks but had a poor gun. Midwar T-34s were superior until the PzIV-f2s/g and Tiger I. Latewar models with the 85mm restored parity after the arrival of the Panther. 

The IS-series with the 122mm had execrable ballistics and could only penetrate when well inside the range return fire from any model of Tiger could do the same. The myth of the IS series was based on the very short engagement ranges for tanks rolling into Germany from the east at the end of the war. The design would never have been viable on the steppes.

You want a really awesome Allied tank gun? Go get a 17lber. Over a kilometer and still penetrate armor on a Tiger.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Patriot

I'd rather have a 90mm gun :D

and i believe the Näshorn came with an 88mm, or the devs deem the Näshorn a better tank, seeing as construction order is usually not the deciding factor in tank order on the tree. Although it generally is the idea to make better stuff later in the war due to experience on the field, which is largely reflected in the tank tree, save for a few tanks(Hetzer was made after the StuGIII IIRC)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The Hetzer is an interesting specimine, as it was actually a revamped version of the Panzer 38(t), which itself was a tank derived from a Czech tank. The advantages of the Hetzer were of course its low shilouette, but if caught unawares would have been an easy kill for most allied tanks, where the maximum armor thickness was about 60mm, and the minimum plating went down to 8mm. It's an ideal tank for campers. :p

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke